Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Awaiting order - further delays?

11-22-2021, 12:10 PM   #1
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Awaiting order - further delays?

Hoping that somebody might be able to put my mind at rest as I don't seem to be getting anywhere with the Genius or Dealership and I have been stressing all weekend over this one.
Car was ordered in August (M340i Touring) and after being given an initial estimated delivery date of week 44 it slipped to March 2022 before coming back to December 2021.

For the past few weeks that order status has been sat at Scheduled for Production so I have been eagerly awaiting for it to slip into build hoping that it might turn up this side of Christmas.

Last Friday when I called the Genius I was told that the Status was 0500 - Cannot be Scheduled but given no further info than that (it had changed on Wednesday apparently).
When I managed to get through to the salesman he told me "he had seen this but hadnt said anything as he didn't want to worry me" and "don't worry this happens from time to time".

Has anybody else had this on their orders? My concern is further delays or worst order cancelled by BMW. If I hadn't reverted my M135i back to stock (removed springs, spacers, Remus Exhaust) and sold the bits ready for PX I would be less concerned but being a person that always stresses I fear the worst. I also already spent out on bits of M Performance kit for it.

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M sport 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
Hoping that somebody might be able to put my mind at rest as I don't seem to be getting anywhere with the Genius or Dealership and I have been stressing all weekend over this one.
Car was ordered in August (M340i Touring) and after being given an initial estimated delivery date of week 44 it slipped to March 2022 before coming back to December 2021.

For the past few weeks that order status has been sat at Scheduled for Production so I have been eagerly awaiting for it to slip into build hoping that it might turn up this side of Christmas.

Last Friday when I called the Genius I was told that the Status was 0500 - Cannot be Scheduled but given no further info than that (it had changed on Wednesday apparently).
When I managed to get through to the salesman he told me "he had seen this but hadnt said anything as he didn't want to worry me" and "don't worry this happens from time to time".

Has anybody else had this on their orders? My concern is further delays or worst order cancelled by BMW. If I hadn't reverted my M135i back to stock (removed springs, spacers, Remus Exhaust) and sold the bits ready for PX I would be less concerned but being a person that always stresses I fear the worst. I also already spent out on bits of M Performance kit for it.
I had a build slot then went to unscheduled twice slipping further back each time, contemplated just cancelling due to this and deletions, I have nothing to say that will put your mind at ease unfortunately, certainly wouldn't recommend anyone buying a car at this time.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #3
MMartinez
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i Gran Coupe

Quote:

We had a sales meeting today. Management mentioned the factory closing for two weeks in December for Christmas Vacation. Not sure if that is the reason for this 0500 status though since I have not experienced it before with any of my clients.
      11-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

I know someone at BMW locally (known for many years through different dealerships). I popped in to see him a good few weeks back and he mentioned a few interesting points, especially around the ‘chip’ shortages and ‘delays’!!

He said they had all been told (by management) to sell cars and commit to December, knowing full well they couldn’t deliver! This is for sales figures, and then they are told when the customer chases after production fails to happen on time to then give the usual blurb of “sorry, delays in chips and manufacturing” knowing full well they have the upper hand.
When I mentioned bad business and just peeing off customers he agreed, but that’s what they’ve been told to still get new sales.

Take that as you will. Just what I was told when we caught up in general and talking cars.

@op - regardless, BMW are not the only ones. I know it must be painful but the wait will be worth it long run. I’m really inpatient trust me, so easy for me to say as I would cancel and buy one available now. But Ive also lost loads on cars so I’m nothing to go by lol…… hang in there mate

Last edited by Funboy78; 11-22-2021 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
MMartinez
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funboy78 View Post
I know someone at BMW locally (known for many years through different dealerships). I popped in to see him a good few weeks back and he mentioned a few interesting points, especially around the 'chip' shortages and 'delays'!!

He said they had all been told (by management) to sell cars and commit to December, knowing full well they couldn't deliver! This is for sales figures, and then they are told when the customer chases after production fails to happen on time to then give the usual blurb of "sorry, delays in chips and manufacturing" knowing full well they have the upper hand.
When I mentioned bad business and just peeing off customers he agreed, but that's what they've been told to still get new sales.

Take that as you will. Just what I was told when we caught up in general and talking cars.
Yeah that doesn't sound like good business practice… In my case, we've stayed true to the 4-6 weeks delivery for SUV's. And 8-10 week for sedans and anything assembled out of the U.S. I tell my clients that's pending upon us having available allocations at the time of ordering, but that's almost always the case. This plus being a dealer that isn't marking anything up besides M3/M4's has made business pretty good.
      11-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #6
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I know someone at BMW locally (known for many years through different dealerships). I popped in to see him a good few weeks back and he mentioned a few interesting points, especially around the ‘chip’ shortages and ‘delays’!!

He said they had all been told (by management) to sell cars and commit to December, knowing full well they couldn’t deliver! This is for sales figures, and then they are told when the customer chases after production fails to happen on time to then give the usual blurb of “sorry, delays in chips and manufacturing” knowing full well they have the upper hand.
When I mentioned bad business and just peeing off customers he agreed, but that’s what they’ve been told to still get new sales.

@op - regardless, BMW are not the only ones. I know it must be painful but the wait will be worth it long run. I’m really inpatient trust me, so easy for me to say as I would cancel and buy one available now. But Ive also lost loads on cars so I’m nothing to go by lol…… hang in there mate
Interesting but me and OP bought these cars months ago surely they aren't sand bagging as far back as ourselves, allot of unhappy clients you would think, anyhow I have resigned myself to it might arrive before next Christmas
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #7
Scottish0177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340D touring Oxide grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashead76 View Post
Interesting but me and OP bought these cars months ago surely they aren't sand bagging as far back as ourselves, allot of unhappy clients you would think, anyhow I have resigned myself to it might arrive before next Christmas
Ordered Aug, told definitely by Christmas, then definitely Jan, now showing definitely March….

Like many others, I could live with a delay in production if having been given an extended build date BMW then stuck to it. Once in the system you would think the ordering system would kick in so when build date arrives the factory has all the necessary parts to complete the car. I would think this forward scheduling of stock at the right time is likely complicated and would or could not be freely extended without possible worries or issues in supply at short notice. We all know about the chips but I don’t think this is the whole picture. I have no idea why cars ordered are slipping but it is really disheartening for those with orders in.Again just a complete lack of communication to the customer.
For me I will hang in until March and see what happens, meantime I will get the winter tyres back on the golf R and see winter in Aberdeenshire past.
For OP, I feel your pain and would share your worry. I have no idea if BMW can just cancel orders but I would hope not. Hoping you get some joy in finding an answer soon to put your mind at ease.keep us all in the loop.

Last edited by Scottish0177; 11-22-2021 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:33 PM   #8
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Word on the street is certain options will potentially cause further delays on some builds. For example the Tech Plus Pack with the driving assistance stuff is considered a "semi-restricted" option my dealer tells me. They are not doing a blanket delete of those options across all builds (yet) but will potentially push back the initial build slot.

After I managed to place my order and take advantage of an existing build slot the dealer had, I realised you could spec the Parking Assistant Plus as a standalone option - initially I thought you could only get that as part of the Tech Plus Pack (I only went for the regular Tech Pack). I asked the dealer to add it on and they said it would very likely push my build slot from week 3 next year to May/June and that they had that exact same thing happen to someone else the week before. And even with the delay you are obviously not guaranteed to get those options as the situation changes all the time. Needless to say I changed my mind about adding it in

If you have the options above that might be one reason.
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #9
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish0177 View Post
Ordered Aug, told definitely by Christmas, then definitely Jan, now showing definitely March….

Like many others, I could live with a delay in production if having been given an extended build date BMW then stuck to it. Once in the system you would think the ordering system would kick in so when build date arrives the factory has all the necessary parts to complete the car. I would think this forward scheduling of stock at the right time is likely complicated and would or could not be freely extended without possible worries or issues in supply at short notice. We all know about the chips but I don’t think this is the whole picture. I have no idea why cars ordered are slipping but it is really disheartening for those with orders in.Again just a complete lack of communication to the customer.
For me I will hang in until March and see what happens, meantime I will get the winter tyres back on the golf R and see winter in Aberdeenshire past.
For OP, I feel your pain and would share your worry. I have no idea if BMW can just cancel orders but I would hope not. Hoping you get some joy in finding an answer soon to put your mind at ease.keep us all in the loop.
OP, Scottish0177, think we are all going for a g21 m340i? Myself ordered in June with a October build then slipped to November now sometime in January, I suspect january will be pushed further, delays, deletions and I am still sticking in their, I will be seriously if they should cancel after this!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #10
Scottish0177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340D touring Oxide grey

Quote:
OP, Scottish0177, think we are all going for a g21 m340i? Myself ordered in June with a October build then slipped to November now sometime in January, I suspect january will be pushed further, delays, deletions and I am still sticking in their, I will be seriously if they should cancel after this!!!!
Yep frustrating for everybody

Have there been instances of BMW cancelling orders?. Anyone know
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #11
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it’s a common theme for some of the outstanding G21 M340i orders, perhaps there are certain components that are the issue?

I think you may be right Gashead, January or later now looks likely with shortages, factory shutdowns and as I was just seeing on the news possible further Covid restrictions in Germany likely with Austria now in lockdown.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #12
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44RTT View Post
Word on the street is certain options will potentially cause further delays on some builds. For example the Tech Plus Pack with the driving assistance stuff is considered a "semi-restricted" option my dealer tells me. They are not doing a blanket delete of those options across all builds (yet) but will potentially push back the initial build slot.

After I managed to place my order and take advantage of an existing build slot the dealer had, I realised you could spec the Parking Assistant Plus as a standalone option - initially I thought you could only get that as part of the Tech Plus Pack (I only went for the regular Tech Pack). I asked the dealer to add it on and they said it would very likely push my build slot from week 3 next year to May/June and that they had that exact same thing happen to someone else the week before. And even with the delay you are obviously not guaranteed to get those options as the situation changes all the time. Needless to say I changed my mind about adding it in

If you have the options above that might be one reason.
Like you I only have (for now) the regular Tech Pack as the plus pack was a stretch too far.

I did speak about adding visibility pack around 2 weeks ago but was advised that changing could cause delays so I kept the order as it was.

Problem is from one day to the next it could be any one of many items that is an issue but nobody seems to want to tell us. I don’t know if the dealership know more than they are letting on or if they really are in the hands of the factory

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #13
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Interesting and very believable unfortunately

If it were not for the ridiculous second hand prices and over inflated pcp interest rates I might have been tempted to look at used but I also know now that I couldn’t get the deal I have now if I were to cancel and reorder elsewhere.

Looks like I am in it for the duration and hoping for a miracle.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #14
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish0177 View Post
Yep frustrating for everybody
Yep sure is

Probably because of my situation and I am just tuning into it more when it's on... but evey break in whatever radio station I have on has some sort of advertising for a new BMW, even tells me to go to the dealer I have my order with, least the marketing department makes it sound easy buying a new motor
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:11 PM   #15
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interesting and very believable unfortunately

If it were not for the ridiculous second hand prices and over inflated pcp interest rates I might have been tempted to look at used but I also know now that I couldn’t get the deal I have now if I were to cancel and reorder elsewhere.

Looks like I am in it for the duration and hoping for a miracle.
Same exactly...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 07:35 PM   #16
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Quote:
I find this crazy.. I ordered mine in June (m340i Touring) and it landed at the dealers in the middle of August all to spec.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 12:31 AM   #17
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

I definitely think some dealers are better than others with regards to this ! Mainly the ones with better allocations
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 01:25 AM   #18
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I too placed an order for a G21 M340i in early august and was given a November allocation slot. Went from 20.11.21 delivery to early Nov (6th I think) in beginning and has pushed back 1 week every week for the past 4 or 5 weeks now. Currently being told will be 13th - 19th Dec so with the above being said I'm now expecting to push to next year.

It's almost as if the build date was just being set and pushed every week without any intention of it going into build. I do have a few bits soecced so it could be one of many things holding it but I'm not being told anything which is the frustrating part. It also stinks a little that bmw aren't offering any discount on the comfort plus pack considering there have been options removed, the US have been given discounts because if it I believe.

Sucks but I really want the car so I'm between a rock and a hard place.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 01:47 AM   #19
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Philmots, I have heard many stories like yours I can only assume they had one to your exact spec in motion already or your just one of those lucky people that BMW pull out of a hat.

Tyranniux, yep feel your frustration like the rest of us, I also believe its my spec that may not be helping too, I always wondered if it's one of my added extras causing the delay, like you, only source of info is from here now.

Last edited by gashead76; 11-23-2021 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 02:06 AM   #20
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think you may be right Gashead, January or later now looks likely with shortages, factory shutdowns and as I was just seeing on the news possible further Covid restrictions in Germany likely with Austria now in lockdown.
Apparently my car being built in Mexico, Sales guy said anyway, not that if Germany does follow Austria i under no illusion this won't still affect Mexico deliveries to ourselves.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 02:15 AM   #21
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The fact that we are all hearing talking of delays to M340i Touring makes me wonder if there is more to it, especially as they recently pulled the M340i saloon from the configurator.

I think I read on the US forum that they are unable to spec adaptive suspension (not sure if that relates to chips) but could this be part of it?

Like we are all saying if they were more transparent with what is happening it might help to put everybody's mind to rest rather than the constant finding info out from a forum.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 02:26 AM   #22
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Does seem like it's a theme, I also wonder if its our packs, I ticked every box pretty much? I do not believe my build week of 52 is happening, that way I can't be disappointed.... again.
Appreciate 0