Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions EcoPro vs Comfort mode

12-02-2021, 05:05 PM   #23
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I tend to have a lot of freeway miles, so I use EcoPro a ton. Solid 28 mpg average over 10k miles, and I have a pretty decently heavy foot I just drive smoothly is all.

Around town for shorter trips, I tend to stick with Comfort mode. It's plenty spirited enough for the usual traffic, no need to rip around in Sport+ when I'm already faster than 90% of everyone except motorcycles out there.

The only time Sport / Sport+ gets used on the street for me is when I go for the occasional jaunt through the twisties up in the mountains. Other than that, Sport+ is for the track (or when I run into another BMW who wants to play and there's no traffic...shhhhhh.)
IG: EmFore_650

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 12-03-2021 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #24
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz555 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
I appreciate the responses but I guess my core question remains unanswered:

If I can instantly switch to Sport mode for 'Play' time, then is there any point to driving in Comfort mode?
Quote:

If I can instantly switch to Sport mode for 'Play' time, then is there any point to driving in Comfort mode?
Comfort mode is way different from Eco-pro. Eco-pro has much more wheel spinning and almost no engine braking. Very dangerous for bends unless You drive way too slow. Than, acceleration in Eco-pro is like You have half of an engine potentional. There is such a difference between two modes. I use Eco-pro only in traffic jams.
I used eco Pro only once. when my fuel lid wouldn't open and I had to drive 35km to the dealership with the indicator showing range of 50km left! the differences between eco Pro and comfort is quite big. very little revs, poor throttle response, sluggish. might as well drive a Camry. comfort/adaptive is my default, car is agile enough to leave a smoke on my face even on everyday drives. Sports for a windy road.
Appreciate 3
oz555672.00
      12-03-2021, 05:42 PM   #25
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz555 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Comfort mode is way different from Eco-pro. Eco-pro has much more wheel spinning and almost no engine braking. Very dangerous for bends unless You drive way too slow. Than, acceleration in Eco-pro is like You have half of an engine potentional. There is such a difference between two modes. I use Eco-pro only in traffic jams.
I used eco Pro only once. when my fuel lid wouldn't open and I had to drive 35km to the dealership with the indicator showing range of 50km left! the differences between eco Pro and comfort is quite big. very little revs, poor throttle response, sluggish. might as well drive a Camry. comfort/adaptive is my default, car is agile enough to leave a smoke on my face even on everyday drives. Sports for a windy road.
Me too. Comfort is default. Sport for windy. I haven't use Adaptive because it seems that Adaptive is like Comfort mode but with bit stiffer dumpers (not like sport but 15% more stiff than comfort). That's my experience with my car. I will try to use more Adaptive because I didn't explore it enough.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      12-03-2021, 07:18 PM   #26
squareforce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M340i

I drive comfort when I forget to change it to sport individual. Then I come to a stop and that weird brake thing happens and I'm reminded why me and my wife does not like that setting.

Switch to eco pro in traffic, a long stop light or drive thru lines and occasionally on the way to work where it's the boring 30 min section.

Sport individual for everything else (comfort x3 and sport + engine, sport transmission, comfort steering)
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      12-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #27
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareforce View Post
I drive comfort when I forget to change it to sport individual. Then I come to a stop and that weird brake thing happens and I'm reminded why me and my wife does not like that setting.

Switch to eco pro in traffic, a long stop light or drive thru lines and occasionally on the way to work where it's the boring 30 min section.

Sport individual for everything else (comfort x3 and sport + engine, sport transmission, comfort steering)
What weird brake thing?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #28
squareforce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Quote:

What weird brake thing?
I think it's the assisted braking from the mild hybrid. It kicks in and no matter what I do I can't make it a smooth stop. So I use my sports individual so it's off. I'm contemplating purchasing the bimmercode to code it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #29
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
I think it's the assisted braking from the mild hybrid. It kicks in and no matter what I do I can't make it a smooth stop. So I use my sports individual so it's off. I'm contemplating purchasing the bimmercode to code it out.
Is this the norm? I've never noticed it on mine. I drive an M340xi if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:43 PM   #30
squareforce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Quote:
Is this the norm? I've never noticed it on mine. I drive an M340xi if that makes a difference.
I have a 21 rwd. If you have a 20 you might not have the mild hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #31
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Quote:

Yes it is normal.

for all MY21+, if you drive in comfort mode enough, you will notice the braking "issue" when the car comes to a stop. Mainly due to the car basically turn off the engine too soon and the brake pedal feels very different when there is engine braking and when there is none and that transition between engine on and engine off is what causes the unnecessary sudden hard braking for no reason.

It does not happen every time, but it does happen enough times to annoy your passengers, especially if the passenger is your GF or your wife. They will give you the look like you did that on purpose.

I dont know how people could drive in Eco pro... the first 50% of the gas pedal travel does nothing...

Last edited by oonowindoo; 12-07-2021 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #32
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
Quote:

Yes it is normal.

for all MY21+, if you drive in comfort mode enough, you will notice the braking "issue" when the car comes to a stop. Mainly due to the car basically turn off the engine too soon and the brake pedal feels very different when there is engine braking and when there is none and that transition between engine on and engine off is what causes the unnecessary sudden hard braking for no reason.

It does not happen every time, but it does happen enough times to annoy your passengers, especially if the passenger is your GF or your wife. They will give you the look like you did that on purpose.

I dont know how people could drive in Eco pro... the first 50% of the gas pedal travel does nothing...
Okay haven't noticed it; I have a MY21 build. I also just put it on adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:55 PM   #33
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

if you dont have the ASS on in your adaptive settings, then you will not feel it.

Put the engine in sport will solve this since the engine will not just turn off when you are still a good 20 feet away from where you want to stop.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #34
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
if you dont have the ASS on in your adaptive settings, then you will not feel it.

Put the engine in sport will solve this since the engine will not just turn off when you are still a good 20 feet away from where you want to stop.
Those of us with the 530e technically have ASS but in practice...no. The ICE shuts off but the electric motor continues so the car does a traditional creep unless one keeps the foot on the brake or uses auto hold.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #35
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Those of us with the 530e technically have ASS but in practice...no. The ICE shuts off but the electric motor continues so the car does a traditional creep unless one keeps the foot on the brake or uses auto hold.
None of us was talking about 530e.

The 530e is very different than a 48V mild hybrid. 530e can go 20 something miles on electric motor only. M340i cannot. So how and when the electric motors kick in is very different.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #36
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah I have Automatic Start/Stop in Adaptive (no option to set individual Adaptive as far as I am aware.) No issues so far - at least not that I've noticed.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #37
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

There's a lot of Traffic in the Bay so being in sport mode makes no sense in bumper to bumper traffic. Might as well put it in eco and save some gas. Premium is $5.50 here.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #38
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
There's a lot of Traffic in the Bay so being in sport mode makes no sense in bumper to bumper traffic. Might as well put it in eco and save some gas. Premium is $5.50 here.
Correct. Place it in Eco or Adaptive and enable Driver/Steering Assistant and you're all set.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 01:35 PM   #39
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There is also a Comfort Mode between Sport and Eco...

Eco mode feels like death even in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #40
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Quote:
There is also a Comfort Mode between Sport and Eco...

Eco mode feels like death even in traffic.
I only used eco once when I was extremely low on gas trying to find a station. Other than that I'll use comfort in traffic
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:28 PM   #41
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

yah.. i used it once cuz my gas was at 0 or - mile left
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #42
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
None of us was talking about 530e.

The 530e is very different than a 48V mild hybrid. 530e can go 20 something miles on electric motor only. M340i cannot. So how and when the electric motors kick in is very different.
Duh. I know that. I was providing information for other potential 5 series customers that all 5 series don't behave that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #43
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

I use eco pro with comfort+ suspension when I'm in traffic - mostly on drive assist mode.
When I drive myself, comfort+ in the city, adaptive on the highway, sport or sport+ in empty winding roads.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #44
jbarba
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: G21 320i

Quote:
Quote:

Yes it is normal.

i ha e exactly this behaviour with ASS activated, and with traffic just in front of the car, seems like kafas recognize this pattern and shutoff ICE just before the car fully stop, adding force to braking operation. Not in all stops ASS shuts down ICE before stop (so i think kafas has to do with it)

My g21 is 2020'feb , no mildhybrid
Appreciate 0