Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Emergency Call Malfunction/Inaccurate GPS

12-01-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
climhazzard
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340

Emergency Call Malfunction/Inaccurate GPS

Has anyone with a G2x run into this issue? My ‘22 M340i began throwing the error and the GPS is no longer accurate. Car has 500 miles on it and is at the dealer. They first tried to replace the (telecom) battery which unfortunately didn’t work, so they’ve ordered a new telecommunications unit.

I searched the forums and found threads around 2019/2020 X5s but nothing too recent for the G2x cars. It did begin right after I washed the car, which seems awfully coincidental given the prior history of shark fin antenna leaks, but they haven’t found evidence of water intrusion. Maybe I’m just lucky and got a bad telecom unit 😄.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #2
BMR_CK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by climhazzard View Post
Has anyone with a G2x run into this issue? My ‘22 M340i began throwing the error and the GPS is no longer accurate. Car has 500 miles on it and is at the dealer. They first tried to replace the (telecom) battery which unfortunately didn’t work, so they’ve ordered a new telecommunications unit.

I searched the forums and found threads around 2019/2020 X5s but nothing too recent for the G2x cars. It did begin right after I washed the car, which seems awfully coincidental given the prior history of shark fin antenna leaks, but they haven’t found evidence of water intrusion. Maybe I’m just lucky and got a bad telecom unit 😄.
I don’t have any experience with that, but I do have experience with several other software related issues. Hope they get your issue resolved quickly.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 01:18 AM   #3
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

I've had the 'emergency call systems malfunction' error a few times before. Never found out what it was for since it would show a message that it's back up running a minute or two later.

Never took action on it. Id be curious what the message is for as well
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
climhazzard
Rep

Got the car back last night and everything is working well. They replaced the telematics unit and also reprogrammed the car (or some portions). Not quite sure what the actual root cause was, but glad it’s fixed.

Given the prior precedent of water intrusion in the shark fin antenna of other models, they extensively tested with a hose and found nothing wrong. Perhaps I just got really lucky with a defective telecom unit.

I’m also wondering if it had something to do with data privacy settings there’s frequently notifications about that, and I seem to remember it popping up around the same time as the malfunction. Unfortunately I didn’t realize this until I had already brought the car in, so it’s nothing more than a hypothesis and the dealership did not have any feedback on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #5
baleszkr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Had the same exact issue before, and they applied the same fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
climhazzard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleszkr View Post
Had the same exact issue before, and they applied the same fix.
Interesting! Is yours a 2022?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #7
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i-X

I had this exact issue and they just did a software update and it fixed it all. I thought it would of been the telecommunications module but it was just something that bugged in the software.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #8
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

My GPS is accurate, I only get that emergency call system malfunction error sometimes. Am I going to need the same fix if it keeps happening? OP, Did they swap your telecom due to GPS inaccuracy?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #9
climhazzard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
My GPS is accurate, I only get that emergency call system malfunction error sometimes. Am I going to need the same fix if it keeps happening? OP, Did they swap your telecom due to GPS inaccuracy?
I believe they swapped it for both the malfunction and GPS (as both the emergency call and GPS go through the telecom box). Unfortunately I cannot say if that is what fixed it or the software update. It’s certainly interesting how sometimes the emergency call malfunction occurs without GPS issues based on what I’ve seen all the forums.

There’s also a battery in the telecom unit, so depending on how old your car is, it’s possible that is going bad.
Appreciate 1
premier3is1631.50
      07-05-2023, 11:17 AM   #10
chutoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
I just had the same error occur but I caused it myself. I was working on routing a cable through the firewall on my G26 and disconnected the blue cable connector circled on the driver side footwell access panel next to the light.
Once I plugged it back in, the error went away
Attached Images

Appreciate 0