Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion US Handling of Coronavirus

08-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #11397
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Great thread on vaccine reality, once available:
Trump said we will have a vaccine by this fall.
Appreciate 1
chris7193862.50

08-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #11398
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
Trump said we will have a vaccine by this fall.
He'll just move the goalposts or wordsmith around it if it's not approved. Or he'll purposely confuse an EUA for at-risk populations with general approval.

Moderna technically produced the very first batch of their vaccine on February 7th of this year, so he can say whatever he wants and pretend he was right.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #11399
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Having owned a Z3M Roady with both the S52 and S54, a Z3M Coupe with the S54 (which happened to throw a rod through the block while under warranty luckily), and finally two Z4M Roadsters, anybody who pays the going rate for a Z3M Coupe is nuts. Those cars aren't 1/5th as good as the Z4M models, it's mind blowing. I don't think there's a single thing I'd take from the Z3M over the Z4M except for maybe the two tone interiors which was pretty bad ass back in the day. The Z4M is just such a vastly superior car, I'd still be driving one if those damned motors weren't basically in danger of detonating every time you take a drive. If it's not the rod bearings it's the VANOS, but boy did I love my Z4Ms.

I'm sure a Z3M Coupe mafia member or whatever they call themselves will see this post and get triggered, but I've shouted them down before lol.
I totally agree. The Z3M is awesome, but the chassis is a nightmare. I love everything about the Z4M except the transmission. My gearbox was pretty bad, it would do that ugly pseudo-grind occasionally where the shift linkage slots into nowheresville between 1st and 2nd if you tried to shift fast. I was never successful in getting them to replace the gearbox because "they all do it". I got rid of the car because I had finally had it with the 1->2 shenanigans. I had already done CDV, fluid, and replaced motor mounts with not much difference. I going to try the UUC transmission mounts if I kept it, but the time for rod bearings and vanos fixes was creeping up and I just decided to get rid of it and I'm now thinking about buying an M2C.

Last edited by chris719; 08-01-2020 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
NickyC7154.50

08-01-2020, 05:02 PM   #11400
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep

It's just the flu, right guys? It only affects old and fat people, right? Clearly a 27 year old professional athlete is just part of the vulnerable population. We need those bars open, though.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/boston-...issue/33489420
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #11401
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It's just the flu, right guys? It only affects old and fat people, right? Clearly a 27 year old professional athlete is just part of the vulnerable population. We need those bars open, though.

curios what blood type he is
      08-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #11402
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
I totally agree. The Z3M is awesome, but the chassis is a nightmare. I love everything about the Z4M except the transmission. My gearbox was pretty bad, it would do that ugly pseudo-grind occasionally where the shift linkage slots into nowheresville between 1st and 2nd if you tried to shift fast. I was never successful in getting them to replace the gearbox because "they all do it". I got rid of the car because I had finally had it with the 1->2 shenanigans. I had already done CDV, fluid, and replaced motor mounts with not much difference. I going to try the UUC transmission mounts if I kept it, but the time for rod bearings and vanos fixes was creeping up and I just decided to get rid of it and I'm now thinking about buying an M2C.
Yep agreed! The 1-2 was always sketchy as heck on fast shifts, I had to keep in the back of my mind to give it a split second before the great change, but as you know in the heat of the battle you usually forget and *CRUNCH*!! I went through all the same things you did and same result, still grinded. Grrrrr.

Get an M4, sure the M2C is nice but the M4 is just more car. Looks great from every angle, the M2C just looks terrible from the back imho.
Appreciate 1
chris7193862.50

08-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #11403
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think things are going to turn out great.

I feel this way because of examples such as New Orleans and Katrina, the Federal response to that catastrophe was top notch.

As well, more recently look how the Diamond Princess quarantine was handled. Again, top notch.

Finally, we now have the Stable Genius in charge.

Rest easy my fellow Americans.
Am I the only one who likes to read through old Covid posts to see how right & wrong a lot of us all were? Lol
Appreciate 2
chris7193862.50
minn197118.50

08-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #11404
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Stable genius today:

"It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear from our shores, you know, it could get worse before it gets better. Could maybe go away. We'll see what happens. Nobody really knows."

So much comedy. This is the POTUS speaking his own words. So telling of the man's intellect. Maybe he's a genius. Maybe he's idiot. We'll have to see. Nobody really knows. Or maybe they do know. Probably not though.

I seriously believe Trump is looking at a way to dump Pence by giving him the response oversight lead. That's the conspiracy theory I'll be pushing.
He has done a great job!

"Only 150k deaths versus millions"
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #11405
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
I just read an article that NIH has already started clinical trials on a treatment called "Remdesivir" and I guess its already showed promising signs.

According to the article, its the fastest that clinical trials have been implemented and tested but still another 12-18 months out for a full vaccine. Pretty interesting read.
The people that are stating how horribly we are handling this, will soon start conspiracies that the virus was created so that we would be forced to take the vaccine, then they won't take the vaccine.
Ha
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #11406
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
curios what blood type he is
There is basically no association between severity and blood type. There may be other genetic factors.

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/covid-19-blood-type
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7354354/
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #11407
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep

Quote:
There is basically no association between severity and blood type. There may be other genetic factors.

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/covid-19-blood-type
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7354354/
From your own source

Even stronger evidence was assembled by the team that symptomatic people with blood type O were less likely to test positive.

Blood type is not associated with risk of progression to severe disease requiring intubation or causing death, nor is it associated with higher peak levels of inflammatory markers. Patients with blood types B and AB who received a test were more likely to test positive as were those who are Rh+ positive, and blood type O was less likely to test positive.

It appears that type o avoid high viral loads which is why testing is unable to detect and lower viral load will reduce severity
      08-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #11408
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
From your own source

Even stronger evidence was assembled by the team that symptomatic people with blood type O were less likely to test positive.

Blood type is not associated with risk of progression to severe disease requiring intubation or causing death, nor is it associated with higher peak levels of inflammatory markers. Patients with blood types B and AB who received a test were more likely to test positive as were those who are Rh+ positive, and blood type O was less likely to test positive.

It appears that type o avoid high viral loads which is why testing is unable to detect and lower viral load will reduce severity
No, this is not at all what it implies. You really should not comment when you don't understand what you are reading.

Please brush up on reading comprehension before you opine. It is not my fault you can't understand even the point of the abstract.

Quote:
We showed through a multi-institutional study that there is no reason to believe being a certain ABO blood type will lead to increased disease severity, which we defined as requiring intubation or leading to death,” said senior study author Anahita Dua, HMS assistant professor of surgery at Mass General.

“This evidence should help put to rest previous reports of a possible association between blood type A and a higher risk for COVID-19 infection and mortality,” Dua said.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #11409
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep

Quote:
Please brush up on reading comprehension before you opine. It is not my fault you can't understand the point of the abstract.
What they demonstrated doesn't match what theh are saying.

Why would type O have a statically lower likelihood of testing postive iyho?
      08-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #11410
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What they demonstrated doesn't match what theh are saying.

Why would type O have a statically lower likelihood of testing postive iyho?
Your assumption that it is tied to viral load and severity is just your own completely uninformed guess. Severity is shown to be no different. Being less likely to contract a disease does not mean it will be less severe when you do.

I would love to know why 1+1 never equals 2 for you.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #11411
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep

Quote:
Your assumption that it is tied to viral load and severity is just your own completely uninformed guess. Severity is shown to be no different. Being less likely to contract a disease does not mean it will be less severe when you do.

I would love to know why 1+1 never equals 2 for you.

So why does type o have a lower positivity rate? In your humble opinion?

As for your follow up depends if it a postive or negative 1

08-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #11412
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i

Quote:
The 1-2 was always sketchy as heck on fast shifts, [...]
Quote:
I love everything about the Z4M except the transmission.
It drove me crazy too, but 3-2 shifts were where I was really noticing it. AutoSolutions shift kit fixed it for me. I also did Vibra Technics motor mounts.

Back on topic -- wear a mask!
Appreciate 2
chris7193862.50
Dagamus_NM1553.00

08-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #11413
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So why does type o have a lower positivity rate? In your humble opinion?

As for your follow up depends if it a postive or negative 1
I don't know why type O would have a lower positivity rate, but I can tell you it's definitely not because of "viral load".

First, we need to be careful and distinguish between nasopharyngeal viral load / titer and the initial viral inoculum. There is some association between the initial dose and severity. There is not any good correlation between viral load (as measured via qPCR) with disease severity. For example, Christian Drosten mentioned on his podcast that one person from the early Munich outbreak cohort registered a Ct value of like 13 or something. That is a huge viral load, but the person was asymptomatic. There is a strong correlation between infectivity and qPCR result, but not severity.

Children:
https://academic.oup.com/cid/article...iaa608/5841161
Adults:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7190077/

I think what you are suggesting is that type O individuals are still "infected" but their viral load is so low it can't be picked up by PCR. That is highly unlikely to be true because of the way viral replication kinetics work. There is an amount of virus that is the infectious dose. Beyond this threshold a reproductive infection is established. Below this threshold you are basically exposed, but not infected. Once you are "infected", the virus reproduces at an exponential rate, and you end up with a large amount over the course of a few hours. If you are actually infected with the virus, you will definitely produce a positive test. PCR is an amazingly sensitive assay. A Ct of 35 is considered the positivity threshold and it is VERY low. There is really no possibility that you would be infected but be able to control it fast enough on the upward part of the curve to get a sub-35 qPCR result. Papers have shown that you cannot culture infectious virus from people who have a qPCR result of 34 even.

It's important to note that Ct (cycle threshold) is the number of amplification cycles required for the fluorescence signal to exceed the background level. It's inversely proportional to the amount of matching nucleic acid in the sample, so a lower number is a greater quantity. Not only that, the amplification curve is basically exponential. This means a 39 could be basically background noise or contamination, while a 33 is a solid positive.

It is possible that type O individuals have a higher minimum infectious dose for some reason, but it doesn't necessarily follow that they would have a lower peak viral load or an undetectable infection.

Last edited by chris719; 08-01-2020 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #11414
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
It drove me crazy too, but 3-2 shifts were where I was really noticing it. AutoSolutions shift kit fixed it for me. I also did Vibra Technics motor mounts.

Back on topic -- wear a mask!
Weird, because I never had any 3-2 issues. I never tracked it, though, so I probably didn't have that many 3-2 shifts under huge G forces. I wish I had known of the AS SSK before I sold it, I might have tried it.
Appreciate 2
NickyC7154.50
wdb2359.50

08-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #11415
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
How the US doing handling covid today?

Here's how the rest of the World thinks the US is doing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
minn197118.50

08-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #11416
TrevorM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

I've seen my fair share of younger patients with Covid. And not just with a simple fever. I think the frightening thing for me is Covid seems to be effecting everyone so differently. It's almost a complete toss up as what sypmtoms are when someone is infected.

Our hospital critical units are packed, we even opened another part of the hospital which we stopped using to house patients. Fun times..
Appreciate 8
chris7193862.50
GrussGott9863.50
9M71657.00
NickyC7154.50
wdb2359.50
Dagamus_NM1553.00
minn197118.50

08-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #11417
chris719
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
I've seen my fair share of younger patients with Covid. And not just with a simple fever. I think the frightening thing for me is Covid seems to be effecting everyone so differently. It's almost a complete toss up as what sypmtoms are when someone is infected.

Our hospital critical units are packed, we even opened another part of the hospital which we stopped using to house patients. Fun times..
Thank you for continuing to work under these conditions and with so many idiots around. I am sure it's very frustrating, but those of us who aren't stupid appreciate the risks you all are taking on a daily basis.
Appreciate 4
GrussGott9863.50
NickyC7154.50
JasonCSU613.00
minn197118.50

08-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #11418
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
I've seen my fair share of younger patients with Covid. And not just with a simple fever.
Not to mention the left-over sub-clinical damage and morbidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
chris7193862.50