Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2023 M340 - knocking/rattling sound on steering/ front suspension

08-03-2023, 06:04 PM   #23
22Black
Private
Rep
Drives: 22’ 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyecon View Post
This is how mine sounds. I dropped mine off at the dealership, they had it for a week, changed a strut, I picked it up and it is completely unchanged (maybe even worse than before).

I realized yesterday that I could actually replicate it over and over if I swerved back and forth while driving around 25 mph. So I’m taking it back to the dealership and telling them how to check for it.

This will be my fourth time having this car in service (2x sunroof creak, 2x suspension knock). I’m in contact with BMW NA and will ask for a buyback if isn’t fixed this time or if any other issue arises. Given how common this issue seems to be in G20’s, I wonder if a class action will occur at some point.
Mine is at the dealer now. They are acknowledging the problem from my video but are having trouble replicating the noise on the car. They want me to come down and drive with the foreman to show them the noise. Extremely frustrating because there obviously is a problem whether I can reproduce it on the spot for them or not.

Thats interesting about the swerving. I noticed mine is making the noise much more since I bumped up the air in my tires. One night it was really bad and making the noise even while driving 40mph.

Id like to get in contact with BMW NA as well. Did you just call through the BMW Customer Service and have a case manager assigned or ?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 06:22 PM   #24
nm2003
2023 M340i LCI xDrive (on order)
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Black View Post
Mine is at the dealer now. They are acknowledging the problem from my video but are having trouble replicating the noise on the car. They want me to come down and drive with the foreman to show them the noise. Extremely frustrating because there obviously is a problem whether I can reproduce it on the spot for them or not.

Thats interesting about the swerving. I noticed mine is making the noise much more since I bumped up the air in my tires. One night it was really bad and making the noise even while driving 40mph.

Id like to get in contact with BMW NA as well. Did you just call through the BMW Customer Service and have a case manager assigned or ?

Thanks!
Does the knocking reduce if you are in sports mode, vs comfort, assuming you have adaptive suspension?

BTW. I assume you have checked the car for loose items. I once had a tapping noise in an Audi and took it to the dealer and he found out the noise was from an M and M lollie that had rolled into the rear air conditioning vent.

Also, does the noise occur if you have a person in the passenger seat?

PS. Drive around the dealership prior to dropping it off and reproduce the noise, then record it and show them the video.

2023 (Australian Spec) G20 LCI M340 xDrive - Portimao Blue - Executive Pack, M Technology Pack, Carbon Fibre Trim
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 07:59 PM   #25
Andyecon
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340xi

Yeah, it is very annoying because every time mine has to go to the dealer it is about 2 hours of my life that I can’t get back between driving there, getting checked in, driving home, driving back, getting the car, driving home… I’m almost to an entire work day wasted dealing with issues on a brand new car.

It is interesting that you mention higher air pressure… I noticed that they inflated my tires really high, so maybe I can reduce it by letting some air out. Will try that tomorrow.

I submitted a complaint through the BMW website then had somebody reach out to me. So far he hasn’t really offered any help other than saying he’s sorry that I’m having the problem and telling me to take it back to the dealer. If it is fixed after this next trip then I’m going to ask for some compensation for my time, if it isn’t fixed I’m going to ask for a buy back and hope that the 2024’s are more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Black View Post

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 08:45 PM   #26
Andyecon
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340xi

This issue is happening to many of us on the forum, so I don’t think it can be explained by a loose item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm2003 View Post
Does the knocking reduce if you are in sports mode, vs comfort, assuming you have adaptive suspension?

BTW. I assume you have checked the car for loose items. I once had a tapping noise in an Audi and took it to the dealer and he found out the noise was from an M and M lollie that had rolled into the rear air conditioning vent.

Also, does the noise occur if you have a person in the passenger seat?

PS. Drive around the dealership prior to dropping it off and reproduce the noise, then record it and show them the video.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 09:44 PM   #27
nm2003
2023 M340i LCI xDrive (on order)
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyecon View Post
This issue is happening to many of us on the forum, so I don’t think it can be explained by a loose item.
Are my other points still valid:

- Does it reduce in Sport or Comfort more, or the same?

- Does the noise go away if you have someone in the passenger or back seats?

- Make sure you can reproduce on roads near your dealership's service center. If you can't, find a service centre where you are able to reproduce.

2023 (Australian Spec) G20 LCI M340 xDrive - Portimao Blue - Executive Pack, M Technology Pack, Carbon Fibre Trim
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 06:47 AM   #28
22Black
Private
Rep
Drives: 22’ 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm2003 View Post
Are my other points still valid:

- Does it reduce in Sport or Comfort more, or the same?

- Does the noise go away if you have someone in the passenger or back seats?

- Make sure you can reproduce on roads near your dealership's service center. If you can't, find a service centre where you are able to reproduce.
Comfort or sport doesn't seem to make a difference. I don't have adaptive suspension though. I have never noticed the noise better or worse with passengers.

The dealer is acknowledging there is an issue after watching the videos I sent. However, they are having trouble with problem determination because they can't replicate the issue on the car which is extremely frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 12:30 PM   #29
m340b58
Germany
Rep
Drives: '20 M340

I have the same weird clunking sound on my 2020 m340 as well. Oddly enough it never happened up until ~25k miles. Although I never did a full in-depth investigation, I've had multiple mechanics do a thorough visual inspection and have found nothing odd or unusual with the suspension. I've just ended up living with it...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 02:42 PM   #30
Djoest
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d

I heard/felt this on my new G20 LCI when driving out of the showroom.
Gave it a couple of weeks since I have my car lowered with H&R spings, but sound/feeling kept at the same level.
Could reproduce it be going over smal but steep bumps in the road..

Steering rods where replaced under warranty last week, and sound/feeling is gone
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 03:44 PM   #31
Dereli
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 E92

I Found these, please see attached pictures, it’s from another user here.
Maybe it’s useful for your guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 05:00 PM   #32
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

I had this issues on and off for over 18months. The dealership in the uk changed pretty much all suspension components including two sets of tie rods.

In the end they changed the steering rack and so far the noise has gone.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 09:51 AM   #33
Rickstah
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoest View Post
I heard/felt this on my new G20 LCI when driving out of the showroom.
Gave it a couple of weeks since I have my car lowered with H&R spings, but sound/feeling kept at the same level.
Could reproduce it be going over smal but steep bumps in the road..

Steering rods where replaced under warranty last week, and sound/feeling is gone
I noticed this issue too a few weeks back with 5000km on the clock.

Next day at the NL dealer (Ekris) and they didn’t notice anything but after a few days it came back.

Do you have any communication with your dealer which could help me maybe?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 09:34 AM   #34
SimSimma35
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M-sport (Tanzanite)

I have the same issue in my G26, took it to the dealer last week they said it was an engine mount, they replaced it. The next day noise returned now I’m back here. Took a road test with the shop foreman and he said he heard it but has no idea where it’s coming from. Now playing the waiting game.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 11:24 AM   #35
Kenz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340

Has anyone tried replacing with the lemforder tie rod? Apparently it could be the solution to the knocking sound
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 03:16 PM   #36
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 xdrive28i X1

Mine is going in Monday for new tie rods. Hope they don’t scrape the crap out of my wheels aligning it. 23 LCI 330i M Sport with 1800 miles. Been knocking since day one and progressively becoming more frequent.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 09:34 PM   #37
Kenz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFray23 View Post
Mine is going in Monday for new tie rods. Hope they don’t scrape the crap out of my wheels aligning it. 23 LCI 330i M Sport with 1800 miles. Been knocking since day one and progressively becoming more frequent.
Yeah seems like a more apparent issue to the 2023 LCI facelift. The same happened to mine since day one. I had another G20 pre-LCI facelift; no such issue at all. Among some friends/forum, seems to be hearing the complaint more on the LCI guys as well, but much lesser on the pre facelift. Wonder what BMW has been doing
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 09:52 PM   #38
david07_g20
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I

Same issue! Clunking when when I turn wheel side to side. I have a 22’ M340.
Also been having a heavy steering wheel issue as well maybe due to this?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 09:59 PM   #39
Kenz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david07_g20 View Post
Same issue! Clunking when when I turn wheel side to side. I have a 22’ M340.
Also been having a heavy steering wheel issue as well maybe due to this?
Think it could be a different issue for yours. Most of the complaint on knocking sound, is when going straight at relatively slow speed especially on uneven surface.
No heavy steering issue for mine. Touch wood
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 10:10 PM   #40
david07_g20
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
Think it could be a different issue for yours. Most of the complaint on knocking sound, is when going straight at relatively slow speed especially on uneven surface.
No heavy steering issue for mine. Touch wood
Oh okay, yeah I have noticed that everyone is expirencing it during slow speeds. Mine clicks at a stand still. But maybe it does while I drive also. I usually blast music so I’ll see if it’s happening to mine.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 01:40 AM   #41
Kenz
Private
Rep

Guys, does changing the steering rack solve the suspension knocking sound? Any clue?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 08:04 PM   #42
Icon5585
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m340i

Steering rods? I’m getting my car checked out this week
      09-25-2023, 08:13 PM   #43
Kenz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon5585 View Post
Steering rods? I’m getting my car checked out this week
Steering rack itself. Have changed the tie rod, but the problem came back within 3 days. So trying to seek advise if any permanent solution yet
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 01:44 PM   #44
Icon5585
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m340i

Got my car back today and thought I’d circle back. My clunking noise was due to the shipping pucks not having been removed /facepalm