12-22-2023, 01:47 AM   #1
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Garage List
Dinan Lowering Kit Impressions

350 miles on the '24 and already getting pretty deep in the mods, lol. I can't leave anything alone.

Picked up the car today on the Dinan springs/supplemental ride quality kit. While it's not bad, IMO anyone who says "it's like stock", doesn't seem to remember quite how their stock car felt. Admittedly, it's a good ride for a lowered car on springs and while I totally prefer the look and stance, I do also miss the bad/uneven pavement mitigating stock ride. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Car looks good! Can't wait to get the new wheels on.

12-22-2023, 08:54 AM   #2
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Car looks good. What other modifications do you have planned?
MOTO218.00
      12-22-2023, 09:05 AM   #3
AM340iMiami
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Stance is nice. What wheels do you have planned?

I am really partial to Vossen’s offerings and a few from HRE.

What else you got lined up? I have a Dinan carbon air box and AA down pipe and the car sounds great. No exhaust needed with those IMO.
Appreciate 1
MOTO218.00
      12-22-2023, 12:17 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Looks good

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
MOTO218.00
      12-22-2023, 05:06 PM   #5
noname
Canyon Seeker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

For the ride, is it with or without adaptive?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 11:40 PM   #6
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Car looks good. What other modifications do you have planned?
Thanks peelerc -- thus far I have Dinan CAI, Dinan springs/ride quality kit, Dinan strut tower braces, MPE exhaust, JB4 stage 1 (only CA CARB approved tuner I've seen -- which is huge win in CA, even if it only gives you a little more power), BimmerCode OBDLink CX, ECS flush spacer kit, RW Carbon front and rear...with black out badges, custom forged wheels/fatter rubber, custom carbon/alcantara steering wheel, dual exhaust tips and a few other interior goodies on the way. Oh and I'll have my buddy's shop do PPF on the car.

That's it I have planned for now...but of course, being a general mod-whore, I'm open to suggestions and bad influences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM340iMiami View Post
Stance is nice. What wheels do you have planned?

I am really partial to Vossen’s offerings and a few from HRE.

What else you got lined up? I have a Dinan carbon air box and AA down pipe and the car sounds great. No exhaust needed with those IMO.
Thanks! Of course, you can't go wrong with Vossen or HRE. I had the design I like custom made by B-Forged in 19". 19x9 ET25, 19x10 ET 38 (see pics below)

Perhaps I could have/should have gone that route but with CA smog laws/checks sucking A these days, I don't want any hassle. I thought MPE was the right way to go. I am not clear on catted down pipe options (that could get by here in CA), but I'll continue to look into that. I just don't want to make the car too loud, nor introduce any drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Looks good
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
For the ride, is it with or without adaptive?
With adaptive.

B-Forged 19's will be here soon - going 245/40 and 275/35 on the rubber

Last edited by MOTO; 02-06-2024 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2023, 10:32 AM   #7
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Good review. Springs just aren’t a performance mod, quite the opposite in most cases. I think DINAN is closest to stock as the rates are identical and it reduces the suspension travel the least. You will still engage the bump stops earlier than stock but if I was going to do anything whilst keep the stock dampers this would be it. Stuff like H&R or whatever are garbage and a dynamic downgrade.
Appreciate 1
MOTO218.00
      12-27-2023, 12:09 PM   #8
raf1dd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i

appreciate this post i am also in the market for lowering springs but afraid to lose the stock ride comfortability 🤷🏽‍♂️
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2023, 12:50 PM   #9
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTO View Post
Picked up the car today on the Dinan springs/supplemental ride quality kit. While it's not bad, IMO anyone who says "it's like stock", doesn't seem to remember quite how their stock car felt. Admittedly, it's a good ride for a lowered car on springs and while I totally prefer the look and stance, I do also miss the bad/uneven pavement mitigating stock ride. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Car looks good! Can't wait to get the new wheels on.
I just picked up the Dinan springs and ride quality kit during black Friday sales, and I also have adaptive suspension. How would you say the car feels in comparison to the stock ride? Pros/cons? I decided against the other springs as I don't know that as much R&D went into the ride quality/handling as Dinan, and I didn't want a slammed car/to scrape over every small bump.

Will your 255/275s be within the 1% needed for xDrive cars? I am likely going with 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 for more sidewall and comfortable ride. Your tires can impact how comfortable your ride turns out.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 01:24 PM   #10
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
I just picked up the Dinan springs and ride quality kit during black Friday sales, and I also have adaptive suspension. How would you say the car feels in comparison to the stock ride? Pros/cons? I decided against the other springs as I don't know that as much R&D went into the ride quality/handling as Dinan, and I didn't want a slammed car/to scrape over every small bump.

Will your 255/275s be within the 1% needed for xDrive cars? I am likely going with 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 for more sidewall and comfortable ride. Your tires can impact how comfortable your ride turns out.
Hey, I'd say you feel the rough pavement a bit more but it's not super bad. The biggest thing is the uneven pavement surfaces you hit at speed, or the dips. The car doesn't have the same travel and you get the lowering spring "bounce" that you can feel in your seat. It's just not smooth like stock suspension. Comes with the territory -- and it's not as bad as previous cars on H&R and Eibach but it's noticeable.

No, 255/275 doesn't work with xdrive but I'm RWD.

XDrive compatible would be:
- 235/40-19 // Rear: 265/35-19
- 255/35-19 // Rear: 285/30-19
      12-31-2023, 02:00 AM   #11
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey, I'd say you feel the rough pavement a bit more but it's not super bad. The biggest thing is the uneven pavement surfaces you hit at speed, or the dips. The car doesn't have the same travel and you get the lowering spring "bounce" that you can feel in your seat. It's just not smooth like stock suspension. Comes with the territory -- and it's not as bad as previous cars on H&R and Eibach but it's noticeable.

No, 255/275 doesn't work with xdrive but I'm RWD.

XDrive compatible would be:
- 235/40-19 // Rear: 265/35-19
- 255/35-19 // Rear: 285/30-19
Thanks for the feedback. I was curious about ride quality given you have adaptive suspension (which I also have). I didn't want the slammed, rubberband sidewalls that contribute to a poor ride. I'm likely going with 245/40 and 275/35 for a wider sidewall to help out with the bumps.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 01:37 PM   #12
skroonigan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Good review. Springs just aren’t a performance mod, quite the opposite in most cases. I think DINAN is closest to stock as the rates are identical and it reduces the suspension travel the least. You will still engage the bump stops earlier than stock but if I was going to do anything whilst keep the stock dampers this would be it. Stuff like H&R or whatever are garbage and a dynamic downgrade.
FYI, he has the supplemental ride quality kit which is just shorter bumpstops, so engaging the stock bumpstops earlier isn't a concern.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 01:48 PM   #13
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroonigan View Post
FYI, he has the supplemental ride quality kit which is just shorter bumpstops, so engaging the stock bumpstops earlier isn't a concern.
DINAN have been using E36 bumpstops forever in these kits, but the springs reduce travel more than the bumpstops hare shortened. Thus you will engage them earlier than a non lowered car. Hence why the original poster is feeling the car bounce on bigger bumps because the dampers have less travel to work. It’s better than just lowering the car without the kit though but there’s still a trade off.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 12:50 PM   #14
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroonigan View Post
It's a lot more than "it's just shorter bumpstops" according to Dinan. AFAIK, they're the only company that does the R&D to determine the best ride quality and handling dynamics with the kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:20 AM   #15
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Great looking car OP!

The red brake calipers look awesome with that paint color and the stance is on point.

You’ve hit most of the mods I would cover... I assume these new G20 340i RWD cars are coming standard with an LSD? What about front monoball bearing upgrade? Also, lowered RWD car, were you able to get alignment back in check or do you need rear toe arms?

I’m on Dinan springs on my daily (‘21 330i M Sport) and I kind of love them lol. For me, they exist in that sweet spot of form and function for a DD. Not too low, not too stiff. Still good for all things aesthetic and ‘performance’.

Enjoy!
      01-09-2024, 04:21 PM   #16
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocker3 View Post
Great looking car OP!

The red brake calipers look awesome with that paint color and the stance is on point.

You’ve hit most of the mods I would cover... I assume these new G20 340i RWD cars are coming standard with an LSD? What about front monoball bearing upgrade? Also, lowered RWD car, were you able to get alignment back in check or do you need rear toe arms?

I’m on Dinan springs on my daily (‘21 330i M Sport) and I kind of love them lol. For me, they exist in that sweet spot of form and function for a DD. Not too low, not too stiff. Still good for all things aesthetic and ‘performance’.

Enjoy!
Thanks...haven't thought about any other upgrades as of yet.

I had the shop do the alignment according to the specs that Dinan provides.

Overall I like them but as mentioned, I do sometimes miss that really smooth stock ride quality. I can always go back to stock if I want to in the future. My stock stuff is like new.

The more I drive it, the more I'm getting used to it but that lowered car front end bounce is there. On totally smooth roads it's awesome.
      01-26-2024, 10:20 PM   #17
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 soon to be

Nice clean looking ride. Are those stock 19s wheels? They look like 20s for some reason.
Appreciate 1
MOTO218.00
      01-26-2024, 11:52 PM   #18
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanamous View Post
Nice clean looking ride. Are those stock 19s wheels? They look like 20s for some reason.
Thanks man...they're 19's.
      01-27-2024, 04:21 PM   #19
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep

So even with Adaptive set at Sport, front end still bouncing?
Makes it sounds like Adaptive Comfort setting no longer usable.
How much of a difference between the 2 modes now you've notice? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 12:09 PM   #20
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanamous View Post
So even with Adaptive set at Sport, front end still bouncing?
Makes it sounds like Adaptive Comfort setting no longer usable.
How much of a difference between the 2 modes now you've notice? Thanks.
Yeah, while not as bad on sport setting…hitting dips and bumps at speed still throws you in your seat.

There is considerably less spring travel and front end compliance on every setting and it’s noticeable.

Regular city driving it’s less “bouncy” on sport mode, however you do feel the road a bit more.

I again attest that I can’t understand anyone saying ANY lowering spring setup is like stock.

The trade off or cost for stance and look is noticeable…and just seems to matter less to certain drivers.

For reference, I am coming out of a 911 Turbo S on springs, so I am not overly sensitive to ride quality. Just being honest with myself and others on the pros and cons.

While I hate the wheel gap, I miss the stock ride quality. I went from a comfortable ride to an somewhat aggressive one. Par for the course.
      01-28-2024, 02:22 PM   #21
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the detail answer. I'm just surprised that a 1" drop can make such a difference. It sounds like the shocks are indeed bottoming on big bumps overwhelming the shock's damping limits.

So with proper damping, it wouldn't be as bad fair to say? (As in going full coilovers)

Quote:
Yeah, while not as bad on sport setting…hitting dips and bumps at speed still throws you in your seat.

There is considerably less spring travel and front end compliance on every setting and it’s noticeable.

Regular city driving it’s less “bouncy” on sport mode, however you do feel the road a bit more.

I again attest that I can’t understand anyone saying ANY lowering spring setup is like stock.

The trade off or cost for stance and look is noticeable…and just seems to matter less to certain drivers.

For reference, I am coming out of a 911 Turbo S on springs, so I am not overly sensitive to ride quality. Just being honest with myself and others on the pros and cons.

While I hate the wheel gap, I miss the stock ride quality. I went from a comfortable ride to an somewhat aggressive one. Par for the course.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 08:38 PM   #22
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep

Plz let us know which front lip that is also. Thanks.
Appreciate 0