Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Ok to repair/replace one tire after 7.5K mi?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
patnaik
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2019 330i xDrive
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Ok to repair/replace one tire after 7.5K mi?

New G20 owner here. There is a slow leak in one of the rear tires. The car came with Bridgestone Turanza RFTs and has only 7.5K miles on it. Is it ok to plug it? If not, can I just replace the one tire? I can get the exact tire at Tire Rack. Advise please. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:03 PM   #2
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
Blubaron79's Avatar
United_States
1094
Rep
4,348
Posts

Drives: '18 340 XDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnaik View Post
New G20 owner here. There is a slow leak in one of the rear tires. The car came with Bridgestone Turanza RFTs and has only 7.5K miles on it. Is it ok to plug it? If not, can I just replace the one tire? I can get the exact tire at Tire Rack. Advise please. Thanks!
If it were 2-3k miles, but not almost 50% of the tires life. It will kill the differential.
__________________
'18 340 xDrive: Glacier Silver, MSport, 19's, every option (except ACC and DAP), MPPSK, black grille, splitter, side sills, CF Spoiler, clear bra.
Previous: '15 335 F30 xDrive; '14 435 F32 xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:30 AM   #3
warrenw
Food Critic
warrenw's Avatar
South Korea
564
Rep
603
Posts

Drives: 19 AW M2C
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Seoul

iTrader: (0)

How much tread is left vs how much tread on the new tire? If there's a significant difference then replace both rear tires - that is if the tire can't be patched.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
patnaik
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2019 330i xDrive
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
How much tread is left vs how much tread on the new tire? If there's a significant difference then replace both rear tires - that is if the tire can't be patched.
Thanks! I will be going to the dealership today for an oil change and I will ask them to check the tire and let me know how much tread is left. I know that they will recommend replacement. I will try to get it patched elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
patnaik
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2019 330i xDrive
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnaik View Post
Thanks! I will be going to the dealership today for an oil change and I will ask them to check the tire and let me know how much tread is left. I know that they will recommend replacement. I will try to get it patched elsewhere.
The dealer said that the tire has a tread depth of 7/32" Tread depth for a new tire is 10/32" as per Tire Rack. Dealer recommends replacing the one tire with a new one. Is this OK?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
warrenw
Food Critic
warrenw's Avatar
South Korea
564
Rep
603
Posts

Drives: 19 AW M2C
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Seoul

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnaik View Post
The dealer said that the tire has a tread depth of 7/32" Tread depth for a new tire is 10/32" as per Tire Rack. Dealer recommends replacing the one tire with a new one. Is this OK?
I did this recently on my M2. 3/32" isn't enough to damage your diff or anything like that... I say go for it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
JayDD007
Private
United_States
35
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: B58/S54/N63
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pottstown, PA

iTrader: (3)

The car will be fine with non matching tread depths, only problem would be if you've driven the tire while flat. This destroys the integrity of the sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
patnaik
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2019 330i xDrive
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDD007 View Post
The car will be fine with non matching tread depths, only problem would be if you've driven the tire while flat. This destroys the integrity of the sidewall.
No, added air when I got the warning message. The pressure was down to 29 psi.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST