Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-04-2020, 02:58 AM   #309
clausmoll
Private
45
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 330i Touring M-sport
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaede View Post
I have a new finding btw (The never ending story...)

When i reverse (maybe also forward driving) out of a drive way in gravel - the noise is there too?! So, small vibrations must cause the issue. I'm wondering if they tried putting the car on a lift and at the same time put pressure on the tyre somehow (to compress the suspension) while turning the wheel.

Could some of you try driving in gravel at low speed (Like 5-10 km/h) and tell if yours noisy as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaede View Post
I have a new finding btw (The never ending story...)

When i reverse (maybe also forward driving) out of a drive way in gravel - the noise is there too?! So, small vibrations must cause the issue. I'm wondering if they tried putting the car on a lift and at the same time put pressure on the tyre somehow (to compress the suspension) while turning the wheel.

Could some of you try driving in gravel at low speed (Like 5-10 km/h) and tell if yours noisy as well?
It is. I hear it when drivning very low speed 5-15 km/t on uneven surfaces like grave or roads made of stones (brosten)
Appreciate 1
Glaede36.00

      04-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #310
Froggypimp
New Member
2
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Hello. I picked up my brand new 330d Touring with M-package (18”, M-suspension, M-brakes) this friday from the main dealership in Copenhagen. The first thing I noticed was the sound that you guys are describing��. Just checked my VIN and it starts with F.
Going to the dealer tomorrow - I can NOT live with that sound.
Is there anything I can tell the dealer - one of you mentioned something about a ticket that has been made to BMW AG??
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:31 AM   #311
Glaede
Private
36
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggypimp View Post
Hello. I picked up my brand new 330d Touring with M-package (18Ē, M-suspension, M-brakes) this friday from the main dealership in Copenhagen. The first thing I noticed was the sound that you guys are describing��. Just checked my VIN and it starts with F.
Going to the dealer tomorrow - I can NOT live with that sound.
Is there anything I can tell the dealer - one of you mentioned something about a ticket that has been made to BMW AG??
Feel sorry for you..

Yeah, BMW AG are aware of the problem, but you should tell your dealer about it asap and that they should notify BMW AG.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:39 AM   #312
Yossi123
Private
15
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: 330xi G21
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaede View Post
Feel sorry for you..

Yeah, BMW AG are aware of the problem, but you should tell your dealer about it asap and that they should notify BMW AG.
I am sorry to hear that too.
And it seems that the BMW haven't fixed the issue yet, as it is still present in newly built cars
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #313
clausmoll
Private
45
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 330i Touring M-sport
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DK

iTrader: (0)

Was at the dealer today. They had some new parts from Germany they fitted. The parts were some vibration reduction fittings for the front suspension arms. The change was not significant unfortunately. Maybe a slight improvement, but not something I would classify as "fixed".
Appreciate 2
Hornet35.00

      06-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #314
Yossi123
Private
15
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: 330xi G21
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the update. I hope that they will keep investigating.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:57 AM   #315
Froggypimp
New Member
2
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

I just had a call from the main dealer in Copenhagen. They want to install the same vibration reduction fittings as Claus mentioned in post #313 to my car.
I'm a bit worried that the result will be the same....
clausmoll have you talked to BMW about returning your car??
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 03:05 AM   #316
clausmoll
Private
45
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 330i Touring M-sport
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggypimp View Post
I just had a call from the main dealer in Copenhagen. They want to install the same vibration reduction fittings as Claus mentioned in post #313 to my car.
I'm a bit worried that the result will be the same....
clausmoll have you talked to BMW about returning your car??
I'm very interested how it will work for you. Please keep us updated. The change for me wasn't great - at least not in combination with the Pirelli P7 runflat tires. Maybe the effect of the VR fittings will be greater on more silent tires?

What tires are you running on?

I did not talk to BMW about returning the car. But I have requested a refund in the already paid leasing expenses. Haven't heard anything of course...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:23 AM   #317
Froggypimp
New Member
2
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

I will keep you guys updated- don't worry:-)
The dealer told me that the parts will arrive the 24. in this month.
I can't remember what tires I have on my car, but it is the tires that the car was delivered with.
My car is still at the dealer - they gave me a BMW X3 3,0 Diesel to drive instead.
If my car is not 100% fixed I will try to return the car - I have already talked to my leasing company about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #318
starship2020
New Member
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: bmw 330i M-sport touring
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Vibration reduction fittings

Hi.

I have noticed that the dealer have ordered the mentioned vibration reduction fittings to my car too.

Does any of you know if the "Specialist" from BMW Germany have actually been here as we were told earlier this year - OR if they have just told the dealer to "fix the problem" by installing the vibration reduction fittings ? That could be interesting to know.

I really doubt their solution would make a big difference ! If the problem is not fixed 100% I will also require BMW Danmark to cancel the lease and refund the initial start-payment of the lease.

In addition they also have to give some kind of refund of the monthly lease already paid.

Please update as soon as you have your car "fixed" with the result.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #319
Yossi123
Private
15
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: 330xi G21
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Have you guys ever considered soundproofing the car? I am wondering if sound deadening mats installed in the wheel arches and doors could make the difference. It would not solve the problem, but it is relatively inexpensive and maybe worth a try?

The better sounding stereo would be an additional bonus

Anyway, impatiently waiting for more news on the BMW's solution (I still hope it is a solution)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #320
clausmoll
Private
45
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 330i Touring M-sport
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DK

iTrader: (0)

Even with the noise reduction fittings and new non-runflat tires (less noisy), the noise is still very noticable indeed. Had a longer drive today and it was very annoying. As usual, only on very smooth asphalt the noise was acceptable.

I'm loosing my patience with BMW now. They are a bunch of amateurs and they have no clue what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:38 AM   #321
Yossi123
Private
15
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: 330xi G21
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to hear that... (no pun intended) still waiting for other guys to report, starship2020 and froggypimp.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:28 AM   #322
Froggypimp
New Member
2
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

My car was supposed to get the vibration reduction parts fitted last week, but the parts was on back order.
Hopefully the parts will be installed this week. I will update you guys as soon as possible.
clausmoll what is the next step for you?? Does BMW have another solution??
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:43 AM   #323
clausmoll
Private
45
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 330i Touring M-sport
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggypimp View Post
My car was supposed to get the vibration reduction parts fitted last week, but the parts was on back order.
Hopefully the parts will be installed this week. I will update you guys as soon as possible.
clausmoll what is the next step for you?? Does BMW have another solution??
Not to be pessimistic or anything, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, if I was you.

No - they don't have any other solution to this point. I'm waiting for their next step - if there will any. I somehow doubt it...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:55 AM   #324
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
4076
Rep
12,223
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausmoll View Post
Not to be pessimistic or anything, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, if I was you.

No - they don't have any other solution to this point. I'm waiting for their next step - if there will any. I somehow doubt it...
Appears to me to be a road noise transmissibility issue. You mention in your last post...

Quote:
As usual, only on very smooth asphalt the noise was acceptable.
So not a mechanical issue.

I suppose they are not able to give any specifics of the transmission pathway, whether air-borne or through the structure. I'm guessing they see it as a possible structure-borne pathway, attempting to reduce the level with damping elements.

I still suspect some combination of build options, or all G20/21 vehicles would suffer the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:08 AM   #325
pmgoliv
Registered
Portugal
2
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i touring g21
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Lisboa

iTrader: (0)

Hi.

I'm following this topic very closely. I have a 330i g21 m-pack with the same issue.

The sound is noticeable from very low speeds up to 130km/h. It seems to be a vibration issue from the road, as mentioned, but it does not scale up with increased speed.

In my case its an M pack with 19'' wheels and adaptive m suspension, with Bridgestone Turanza T005 RFT.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:13 AM   #326
clausmoll
Private
45
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 330i Touring M-sport
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgoliv View Post
Hi.

I'm following this topic very closely. I have a 330i g21 m-pack with the same issue.

The sound is noticeable from very low speeds up to 130km/h. It seems to be a vibration issue from the road, as mentioned, but it does not scale up with increased speed.

In my case its an M pack with 19'' wheels and adaptive m suspension, with Bridgestone Turanza T005 RFT.
Hi pmgoliv

Sorry to hear that. Make sure you complain to your dealer about this. It's the only chance we have
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #327
berghagen
New Member
14
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Sweden, Stockholm

iTrader: (0)

Hello guys,

Following ur thread, it has been very helpful. I have the same sound as you guys do, asfalt makes it better and so on. Sounds like a constant note, does not change in pitch or anything, just resonance vibrations of some sort. Visiting dealer in Stockholm on thursday morning. They said by phone that they've never heard of it, seems strange to me when I know people here have been from Sweden. We will see on thursday if they still say the same thing. I will update when i know more as well.


G21, 330i, M-sport suspension, runflat, 18 inch.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #328
clausmoll
Private
45
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 330i Touring M-sport
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berghagen View Post
Hello guys,

Following ur thread, it has been very helpful. I have the same sound as you guys do, asfalt makes it better and so on. Sounds like a constant note, does not change in pitch or anything, just resonance vibrations of some sort. Visiting dealer in Stockholm on thursday morning. They said by phone that they've never heard of it, seems strange to me when I know people here have been from Sweden. We will see on thursday if they still say the same thing. I will update when i know more as well.


G21, 330i, M-sport suspension, runflat, 18 inch.
Make sure you complain to BMW. We have to stick together on this.

Looking forward to your update.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 02:53 AM   #329
AdamT
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW 320d M-Sport Plus
Join Date: May 2020
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Just for info, I have a 320d with the M-Plus kit (19Ē wheels, larger M-Sport brakes with blue callipers, adaptive damper suspension, and Bridgestone Turanza T005 runflats)

I donít seem to be getting any of this noise, or at least I donít think I do.

Perhaps it does indeed have something to do with the larger brakes? Does anyone with the M-Sport brakes (blue callipers with M-Badge) have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 02:55 AM   #330
clausmoll
Private
45
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 330i Touring M-sport
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
Just for info, I have a 320d with the M-Plus kit (19” wheels, larger M-Sport brakes with blue callipers, adaptive damper suspension, and Bridgestone Turanza T005 runflats)

I don’t seem to be getting any of this noise, or at least I don’t think I do.

Perhaps it does indeed have something to do with the larger brakes? Does anyone with the M-Sport brakes (blue callipers with M-Badge) have this issue?
Yes - we all do
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST