Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Brake pads for M340i

01-25-2024, 01:02 PM   #111
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcfc View Post
Thanks - I tried a couple vendors in the US and they all said special order for Project Mu (4+ months). I'm going to try buying direct from rhdjapan.
Rhdjapan has good customer service. They should be able to get it to you in less than a month from time of ordering and will be cheaper than any US vendor.

I don't mind paying a bit more to get it from a US vendor but the wait time is just insane.
      01-25-2024, 04:25 PM   #112
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Rhdjapan has good customer service. They should be able to get it to you in less than a month from time of ordering and will be cheaper than any US vendor.

I don't mind paying a bit more to get it from a US vendor but the wait time is just insane.
I paid $322 for four PMU HC-CS pads, then $50 for shipping. US sites were $300 per axle! Thanks, cheap Yen. It's been a week, and looks like they're about to ship, so yeah, hopefully arrive in the next week or two.
Appreciate 1
Z K1888.50
      01-31-2024, 11:12 AM   #113
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Z K Arrived today; only took two weeks. On the fronts, there aren't the tabs that the stock brakes have. Not sure what their purpose are (maybe vibration/noise purposes), but I assume I can just install the PMU fronts without prying the tabs off my old pads?
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 01:30 AM   #114
randomserious
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Z K Arrived today; only took two weeks. On the fronts, there aren't the tabs that the stock brakes have. Not sure what their purpose are (maybe vibration/noise purposes), but I assume I can just install the PMU fronts without prying the tabs off my old pads?
i don't have any insights but the shop that installed mine didn't move the tabs and it's been fine for 5k+ miles with lots of track and autox.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 01:37 AM   #115
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The stock block things are for noise reduction. You can try moving them over although I don’t know how. I haven’t had them with my pads and it’s been fine.
      02-26-2024, 11:28 AM   #116
legolego
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Are you looking for the base Brembo brakes with the 348mm rotor front brakes? If you have the optional big front brakes, that's a different pad.

For Project Mu, you can find any pad by going by the pad shape part number and the desired pad compound.

For the normal M340i Brembo brakes, front the pad shape is Z723. Rear is Z625.

Here is the fronts, The "Euro Sports Excellence" is the same pad with a different name for European markets. Evasive is in California so if it is in stock you can get it within days.

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...0u-hWzqOnVhz2I

Front Type PS:

https://www.rhdjapan.com/project-mu-...k-package.html

https://www.blackhawkjapan.com/produ...z723-type-ps-7

Type PS rear:

https://www.rhdjapan.com/project-mu-...k-package.html

https://www.blackhawkjapan.com/produ...u-z625-type-ps
Hi. Is the Z724 meant for the larger caliper that goes with 374 rotor?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:33 AM   #117
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolego View Post
Hi. Is the Z724 meant for the larger caliper that goes with 374 rotor?

Yes, those are for the cars with the optional brakes. The M performance upgrade brakes or ZTK package cars.
      03-29-2024, 08:11 PM   #118
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Z K Do you notice your front insides wearing slightly more than the front outsides? Maybe a mm or two more? After my first HPDE weekend (with STOCK pads) I changed pads and noticed this. Both insides were about equal, and both outsides were about equal. First pad change, so I doubt there's any pistons sticking. I suspect it has to do with overheating brakes, particularly on the inside of the rotor, which doesn't get effective cooling. Thoughts? Hopefully the PMU pads hold up better.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:16 PM   #119
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Quote:
Z K Do you notice your front insides wearing slightly more than the front outsides? Maybe a mm or two more? After my first HPDE weekend (with STOCK pads) I changed pads and noticed this. Both insides were about equal, and both outsides were about equal. First pad change, so I doubt there's any pistons sticking. I suspect it has to do with overheating brakes, particularly on the inside of the rotor, which doesn't get effective cooling. Thoughts? Hopefully the PMU pads hold up better.
Actually the inside gets the most cooling. The brake air ducts are directed to the inside hub, where the air enters the center of the Rotor and flows through the vents in the Rotor. It means the inside pads would get the most direct airflow.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:28 PM   #120
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Might be because of the physical design of the caliper. The inside side is where the brake lines attach. The brake fluid will flow to the inside pistons first and those get pushed into the rotor before the outside ones. The difference should be pretty minimal though.

Did you change the brake fluid with high temp track brake fluid?
      03-31-2024, 11:18 AM   #121
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you change the brake fluid with high temp track brake fluid?
For this particular weekend, no. It was Motul 5.1 with stock pads. I'm switching in Endless RF-650 so we'll see how it goes. The difference on one rotor was <1mm and the other was closer to 1.5mm, so it's not much. I was also thinking it could be the reasoning you're stating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
Actually the inside gets the most cooling. The brake air ducts are directed to the inside hub, where the air enters the center of the Rotor and flows through the vents in the Rotor. It means the inside pads would get the most direct airflow.
Conceptually I agree, but I wonder how well it works in practice. Here's an interesting video of this, though they are selling a product (last post in thread): https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2060907 Next HPDE I'm going to try and measure the temp difference on my own after a session and see what the delta is.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 07:54 PM   #122
RCKYMTN M34OI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

For those that are curious on ordering some Project Mu pads: I ordered the PS pads from mhdjapan on 4/11-I got notification the shipped on 4/22, and they arrived today- 4/24.
Total was ~$364

I'll update on my impressions once I install and get some miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:23 PM   #123
M340I///M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 bmw m340i xdrive

Garage List
I’m looking for front and rear pads by project mu , I have the M performance 18”bbk , it’s the ZTK package, dimple front and rear rotors. Can anyone help me with the part numbers for front and rear?

2021 m340i xdrive ZTK package.

And where would it be best to order them from? That won’t take 1/2 a year to get here ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 09:06 AM   #124
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340I///M View Post
I’m looking for front and rear pads by project mu , I have the M performance 18”bbk , it’s the ZTK package, dimple front and rear rotors. Can anyone help me with the part numbers for front and rear?

2021 m340i xdrive ZTK package.

And where would it be best to order them from? That won’t take 1/2 a year to get here ?
ZTK package is the Z724 pad shape from PMU. Rears are the same as the normal M340 m-sport brakes (Z625).

Order direct from Japan (RHDJapan for example) and they should arrive within a month or less via airplane, assuming they're available. Seems like the US vendors get from a distributor who wait for a shipping container to fill. You also take advantage of the favorable Yen to Dollar exhange rate if you buy direct.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 05:42 PM   #125
M340I///M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 bmw m340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
ZTK package is the Z724 pad shape from PMU. Rears are the same as the normal M340 m-sport brakes (Z625).

Order direct from Japan (RHDJapan for example) and they should arrive within a month or less via airplane, assuming they're available. Seems like the US vendors get from a distributor who wait for a shipping container to fill. You also take advantage of the favorable Yen to Dollar exhange rate if you buy direct.
Thank you
Appreciate 0