BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Brake pads for M340i

09-08-2023, 12:17 PM   #67
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Silly question maybe, but stock pads have an adhesive for the pistons to adhere to. If the aftermarket pads don't have them, do you just grease the backs and put them on? Was hoping to hot swap track pads for track days and oem for daily driving, but I feel the backing plate on the oem pads will delaminate when removing and make them useless afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #68
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
Hawk 5.0 part numbers for M340i:
F: Hawk HB916B.740
R:HB917B.626

I assume these should still be the same if you have the ZTK cooling package even though the rotors are bigger with the cooling package?
Hi

I was wondering if both sets came with sensors. Couldn't find clear answers about it

Thx
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 11:15 PM   #69
huzidada
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021G21 M340 Xdive

What options are available for us ZTK owners??
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 07:43 AM   #70
Mtrhed1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

The iSweep pads are the only aftermarket pad I could find for my ZTK. I have the IS2000 on the front(waiting for the rears).
Very happy with them so far! Better than stock in all ways!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 09:22 PM   #71
Mtrhed1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just had time to install the rear ISweep IS200 brake pads on my ZTK M340i Xdrive.
Had just the front Is2000 pads installed for a bit and they they had enough extra torque over the stock rears to induce oversteer if you got on them hard!
Now that I have them front and rear the braking is much, much better than stock and the dust is much, much less and a light brown that washes off very easily compared to the glue like stock dust😃
No noise….
Wish Pagid made the RSL29 pads for the ZTK brakes as that’s what I ran on my E39 M5 and E85 Z4M Roadster and really liked them but these are pretty dang good👍
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2023, 08:43 PM   #72
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrhed1 View Post
Just had time to install the rear ISweep IS200 brake pads on my ZTK M340i Xdrive.
Had just the front Is2000 pads installed for a bit and they they had enough extra torque over the stock rears to induce oversteer if you got on them hard!
Now that I have them front and rear the braking is much, much better than stock and the dust is much, much less and a light brown that washes off very easily compared to the glue like stock dust😃
No noise….
Wish Pagid made the RSL29 pads for the ZTK brakes as that’s what I ran on my E39 M5 and E85 Z4M Roadster and really liked them but these are pretty dang good👍
Glad your happy with your end result, but how on earth did you come to the conclusion that different pads front/rear can induce "oversteer" - it just simply isn't possible, at all. With EBD there is no way that could happen. Sounds more like you introduced some trailing oversteer, nothing to do with the pads etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 12:59 PM   #73
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
The iSweep pads are the only aftermarket pad I could find for my ZTK. I have the IS2000 on the front(waiting for the rears).
I can get any Project Mu and Endless pads from Japan for the ZTK calipers. Quite a variety of pads from street to all out track lapping endurance pads are available. I run Project Mu Type PS on my M340i - works great. A lot more gradual braking torque and less dust. The stock pads felt like an on/off switch and was hard to modulate.

Apparently in Japan the M340i only comes with the larger calipers - they do not get the smaller Supra/Z4 Brembo calipers we get.

I had a set of ZTK Type PS pads that I sold a few months ago on this forum.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2007773

Last edited by Z K; 11-30-2023 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 06:38 AM   #74
Planoser
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Do you have a link to where you sources these pads from ?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 11:35 AM   #75
Mtrhed1
Enlisted Member
Rep

https://www.rgsportshop.com/index.ph...h=isweep%20G20
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 07:21 PM   #76
mr.almeida
Private
Rep
Drives: F97

Purchased some EBC Reds will report after I get them and install.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 08:29 PM   #77
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

I am looking to get new pads/rotors soon.
I am in two minds in just getting the OEM (which I assume are Brembo Low Met pads) and the Hawk 5.0.

Now in another vehicle that had a similar braking system (Brembos) I replaced the OEM brembo pads with Hawk HPS (which I think the 5.0 replaced) and I found the cold initial bite was not the same. Needed extra pedal pressure when stone cold. I did not like that. Even though it was slight, I didn't like it.

On that car, the next set of pads I went back to Brembo Low Met and they were just better. High temp wise didn't seem any worse than the Hawk and cold were just much nicer.

Anyone comment on the Hawk 5.0 compared to the OEM/stock Brembo pads when stone cold. Are they the same feel?

Also I have not been able to see any graphs or comparisons of the Brembo OEM's vs Hawks 5.0 - that would be great to see. I am wondering if they are really much better hot while still feeling the same cold?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:46 PM   #78
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
I am looking to get new pads/rotors soon.
I am in two minds in just getting the OEM (which I assume are Brembo Low Met pads) and the Hawk 5.0.

Now in another vehicle that had a similar braking system (Brembos) I replaced the OEM brembo pads with Hawk HPS (which I think the 5.0 replaced) and I found the cold initial bite was not the same. Needed extra pedal pressure when stone cold. I did not like that. Even though it was slight, I didn't like it.

On that car, the next set of pads I went back to Brembo Low Met and they were just better. High temp wise didn't seem any worse than the Hawk and cold were just much nicer.

Anyone comment on the Hawk 5.0 compared to the OEM/stock Brembo pads when stone cold. Are they the same feel?

Also I have not been able to see any graphs or comparisons of the Brembo OEM's vs Hawks 5.0 - that would be great to see. I am wondering if they are really much better hot while still feeling the same cold?
I have the Hawk 5.0 for street driving and they still feel more aggressive of a bite than OEM, even when cold. Note, I have SS brake lines.
cyam188.50
      12-21-2023, 12:12 AM   #79
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
I have the Hawk 5.0 for street driving and they still feel more aggressive of a bite than OEM, even when cold. Note, I have SS brake lines.
So does that mean you use the same or less pedal pressure when stone cold compared to OEM?

When you removed the OEM pads, could you tell what pads they were? Where they Brembo Low-Met pads? They have the black backing which seems to imply they are the low-met.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 12:15 AM   #80
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
So does that mean you use the same or less pedal pressure when stone cold compared to OEM?

When you removed the OEM pads, could you tell what pads they were? Where they Brembo Low-Met pads? They have the black backing which seems to imply they are the low-met.
To me, they feel as if I am using the same pedal pressure, but the initial bite is stronger.
I did not observe any branding on the pads but they did have black backing, IIRC.
cyam188.50
      12-21-2023, 12:15 PM   #81
Z K
Major General
Rep

I really don't get why people use Hawk and OEM pads, so many better options out there.
      12-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #82
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I really don't get why people use Hawk and OEM pads, so many better options out there.
Happy to hear of them. What have you used?

What's wrong with OEM, they're brembo, which are exceptionally good.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 03:01 PM   #83
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Happy to hear of them. What have you used?

What's wrong with OEM, they're brembo, which are exceptionally good.
Brembo pads are good? Don't be blinded by the brand name.

Brembo for OEM has two different compounds. One is a low dust low torque application for normal street cars. The other is a high dust high torque application for sporty cars. They're all made in China to cut costs yet Brembo charges a high premium for the brand name. Neither will hold up on an actual track day and neither are ideal for street use as its either no braking torque or high dust. Brembo does make racing brake pad applications but those are not available for street use.

Hawk has been making average "high performance" brake products for years. Their compounds are really dated and the technology is not there. You get some low dust low torque applications like the HPS 5.0 for street use. Stuff that can't handle a spirited mountain road drive much less track use. Then you can step up to a HP+ which squeals and dusts a lot, needs time driving to warm up before it works but they say is "street use". Then for track they have brake pads that use high metal content that destroy wheels and eats paint if it gets wet. Only plus for Hawk is that it is relatively low cost since it is American made and locally available.

Last edited by Z K; 12-21-2023 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
cyam188.50
      12-21-2023, 03:11 PM   #84
Z K
Major General
Rep

As for pads I have used,

I currently run Project Mu pads on my street car and track day car. They have a wide range of pads from street to race day. They have been building enthusiast brake applications for over 30 years and continue to introduce new compounds for specialty applications. Official brake pads for use in Super GT racing series, WRC, GT86 Cup car racing and other racing series. They have many "hybrid" street/track compounds that can actually be used for both with little drawbacks.

I have run Endless pads as well. They are similar to Project Mu but at a higher price point. Porsche uses Endless for their race cars. Both Endless and Project Mu are high quality and 100% made in Japan.

Ran Ferodo, not recommended, outdated pad compounds. They'll recommend DS2500 pads for everything (its a 40 year old brake compound) and it is neither good for street or track.

Ran Stoptech, the Sport pads work very good. Like a DS2500 but newer and better with less noise and dust. Do not get the Stoptech Street as they're rebranded Centric pads.

Ran Carbotech, good track day compounds. Their street stuff is ok but the XP line of track day pads are excellent with high torque. They don't eat wheels and paint unlike many other track only pads.

Have not run Counterspace Garage but recommended for track use. It's a newer California company with a few good track day compounds. Run by many on track days.

Ran Hawk and Brembo pads before... not impressed.

Here's my current collection of brake pads that will eventually find their way onto my cars. There's a few thousand dollars in brake pads here to be used and tried.

I have 3 BMWs - 1 regularly tracked. I'll eat through a set of brake pads every 2-3 months from track use @ $300-500 per set. So I go through pads a lot. Japanese pads for European applications are special order so I order them in batches so I always have extra pads ready.
Attached Images

Last edited by Z K; 12-21-2023 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 3
helmet91297.50
cyam188.50
AswB581.50
      12-21-2023, 03:42 PM   #85
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:

Brembo for OEM has two different compounds. One is a low dust low torque application for normal street cars. The other is a high dust high torque application for sporty cars. They're all made in China to cut costs yet Brembo charges a high premium for the brand name. Neither will hold up on an actual track day and neither are ideal for street use as its either no braking torque or high dust. Brembo does make racing brake pad applications but those are not available for street use.

Hawk has been making average "high performance" brake products for years. Their compounds are really dated and the technology is not there. You get some low dust low torque applications like the HPS 5.0 for street use. Stuff that can't handle a spirited mountain road drive much less track use. Then you can step up to a HP+ which squeals and dusts a lot, needs time driving to warm up before it works but they say is "street use". Then for track they have brake pads that use high metal content that destroy wheels and eats paint if it gets wet. Only plus for Hawk is that it is relatively low cost since it is American made and locally available.
Any experience with Pagid RSL 29 for track days? Would expect them to last a while. Also covered under TMS's replacement program.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 03:51 PM   #86
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcfc View Post
Any experience with Pagid RSL 29 for track days? Would expect them to last a while. Also covered under TMS's replacement program.
I have not run Pagid pads before.

I did a quick google of the RSL 29. Just be aware that some track compounds have brake dust will bond with paint. So you will want to wash it as soon as possible after a track day or the dust will become a permanent part of your wheels and paint. Most track only pads are not good for street use as they squeal, dust and need heat to work well. Should be fine if track is the primary use of your car.

Last edited by Z K; 12-21-2023 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 03:57 PM   #87
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

From my anecdotal use, I’ve ran Hawk 5.0 for 4 track sessions and had no issues. Plenty of bite and stopping power, considering I run upgraded brake fluid and SS brake lines. I’ve now switched to CSG street pads for the track but kept the Hawk 5.0 for street use as it works well for casual street driving / putting around town.
      12-21-2023, 04:01 PM   #88
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
From my anecdotal use, I’ve ran Hawk 5.0 for 4 track sessions and had no issues. Plenty of bite and stopping power, considering I run upgraded brake fluid and SS brake lines. I’ve now switched to CSG street pads for the track but kept the Hawk 5.0 for street use as it works well for casual street driving / putting around town.
To be fair, I did not track the 5.0. I used them on my street car, did some spirited driving and didn't like it so I removed them. Replaced it with Project Mu Type PS pads.

I highly disagree with CSG's marketing of their CP pad. They compare it to a DS2500 and a Project Mu Club Racer?!

The DS2500, as I mentioned earlier, is a very outdated pad and the Club Racer is a track day pad. The charts show that the CP is lower noise, dust and wear than both. What they don't show is that the Club Racer has way more braking torque and has double the heat capacity of the CP. This is a apples and oranges comparison! It's like saying the Prius has better fuel economy than the Ferrari...

They should be comparing the CP to something similar from the Project Mu line up like a Type PS. But its marketing... they want to make their pad look favorable. And holy sh!t, they cost way more than Project Mu and Ferodo.

Last edited by Z K; 12-21-2023 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
peelerec987.50