Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Yellow DRL - G20

09-28-2023, 01:18 AM   #89
vader_330
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M sport 2021

I used to have an F82 M4 competition (tanzanite blue) and put the yellow DRLs on it and they looked amazing on it and an easyish install, I would definitely like to get them for my 2021 330i M sport. Anyone tossing it up for if they should get it or not, ABSOLUTELY DO IT, they are worth all the money and make such a big difference on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 11:55 AM   #90
G20_Rick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20_Rick View Post
Had my "version 2" DRLs installed on Tuesday, September 12th. Used the method suggested by BobTheBimmer and it made things fast and easy for install. Also used the method suggested by Nembus with the 50/50 ratio of the thermal paste provided with the DRLs and CPU/GPU thermal paste. Took roughly 20-30 minutes for the 50/50 mix to dry/settle in the sun (cloudy SoCal day in the low 80's).

As for when we took the "version 1" DRLs out, we immediately noticed the DRL modules came right off the heat sinks. A further indication that the thermal tape was faulty by design. I didn't think of it at the time, but I should have taken photos of this. Also, the backings on the "version 2" DRLs have metal backings.

Will do a month update as the "version 1" DRLs didn't last that long. Hopefully you all don't hear from me before then.

Well, that didn't take long. Driver side already throwing a code - turn signal malfunction. At this point, I just want my money back. Going back to the OEM white. What a PITA this has been.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 12:01 PM   #91
G20_Rick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG8X View Post
Got it from my dealer, the set retails for like $350 something but the employee pricing brought it down to $200. BayOptiks is charging $150.
When you bought the modules from the dealer, did they come with thermal paste?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 12:12 PM   #92
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340 Xdrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
When you bought the modules from the dealer, did they come with thermal paste?
No. You cannot just purchase the boards from BMW. It comes as the entire module. So the boards are already placed onto the metal housings. I’m assuming Bayoptiks will just reapply them to the housing or will include thermal paste when they send them back.
Attached Images

Last edited by BLK.G20; 10-02-2023 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 02:51 PM   #93
Nembus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Manual

Hey Rick do you have pics of the board you put in?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 03:46 AM   #94
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Well, that didn't take long. Driver side already throwing a code - turn signal malfunction. At this point, I just want my money back. Going back to the OEM white. What a PITA this has been.
Wow, the v2 are malfunctioning too?!

Seems like a fun mod/project, end results anyway. The lengthy install and potential for failure really take my enthusiasm away.

At least the "GTS inspired" tail lights are easily removable in the (inevitable?) event they fail.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 09:58 AM   #95
Nembus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Wow, the v2 are malfunctioning too?!

Seems like a fun mod/project, end results anyway. The lengthy install and potential for failure really take my enthusiasm away.

At least the "GTS inspired" tail lights are easily removable in the (inevitable?) event they fail.
I honestly think there's more than two versions. I posted the pictures of the ones I put in earlier in the thread and so far no problems knock on wood. Heat management is key here.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 06:24 AM   #96
MichaelNRW
B58 Power
Rep
Drives: 05/2022 M340i xDrive Touring

Garage List
Mine are still working and i installed them in April 2023.
I used the thermal glue that came with the boards and spread a thin layer over the complete back of the boards.
The heat sinks are getting warm but not hot.
      10-05-2023, 04:31 PM   #97
G20_Rick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No. You cannot just purchase the boards from BMW. It comes as the entire module. So the boards are already placed onto the metal housings. I’m assuming Bayoptiks will just reapply them to the housing or will include thermal paste when they send them back.
I ended up going toa BMW dealership and spoke with a gentleman in the parts department. He too confirmed the modules come pre-assembled in the heat sinks and are not sold separately.

That was going to be my follow up question to him - "Is the OEM thermal paste available for purchase?"
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 04:36 PM   #98
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340 Xdrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
I ended up going toa BMW dealership and spoke with a gentleman in the parts department. He too confirmed the modules come pre-assembled in the heat sinks and are not sold separately.

That was going to be my follow up question to him - "Is the OEM thermal paste available for purchase?"
Yeah. You can get the OEM paste. I'll check tomorrow with my guys for a part number. I'm just assuming BayOptiks will just place them back on the modules for me. If not, no big deal and I'll have one of the techs do it.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2023, 04:39 PM   #99
G20_Rick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nembus View Post
Hey Rick do you have pics of the board you put in?
Here's pictures of the V2 modules, both front and back. I was able to peel off the thermal paste with my fingernail and a rag to get better pictures of the back sides. Makes me wonder just how durable the provided paste is to begin with (yes, I used an adequate amount).

I'm no expert, but definitely looks the high beam modules overheated (based on metal discoloration), which caused the turn signal to malfunction.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 11:02 PM   #100
Nembus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here's pictures of the V2 modules, both front and back. I was able to peel off the thermal paste with my fingernail and a rag to get better pictures of the back sides. Makes me wonder just how durable the provided paste is to begin with (yes, I used an adequate amount).

I'm no expert, but definitely looks the high beam modules overheated (based on metal discoloration), which caused the turn signal to malfunction.
What's weird is you have different boards than mine. You can see pics of my v2 boards on page 3 of this thread. You have black PCB and I have green. Not sure what else is different between ours. I still have mine in and they're fine. Sucks you have to deal with that tho
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 03:54 PM   #101
G20_Rick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nembus View Post
What's weird is you have different boards than mine. You can see pics of my v2 boards on page 3 of this thread. You have black PCB and I have green. Not sure what else is different between ours. I still have mine in and they're fine. Sucks you have to deal with that tho
Those look like the first version I was provided. Here's a pic of the first boards I was provided.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 01:58 AM   #102
dilrajm340
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340

i hope the bmw community can help me out here, i installed the csl drls with a couple of my friends and long story short i got a turn signal malfunction for the left and right signal and therefore I can't use signals at all. i have gotten in touch with bayoptiks and they sent me more modules but the exact same thing happened again. does anyone know what this could be? i would appreciate it alot 🫶🏽
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 09:55 AM   #103
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
I ended up going with a non laser set from Umnitza which I installed in a set of used modules so I didn't have to take apart my originals. Now just need to get around to installing
Attached Images

10-30-2023, 08:37 AM   #104
raf1dd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i

i have no experience whatsoever but i really want to play around and see if i can do it myself or if someone from NY can do it for me especially in the long island area or queens i will pay you
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 02:57 PM   #105
mondayze
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf1dd View Post
i have no experience whatsoever but i really want to play around and see if i can do it myself or if someone from NY can do it for me especially in the long island area or queens i will pay you
any reputable shop can help
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 09:11 AM   #106
the3mw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ix

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums//s....php?t=2059033

Here is the installation and partially working DRL for now..
Am waiting for the corrected board.. so hopefully in 2 weeks I can update on the status.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 02:38 PM   #107
ctbimmerfan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix, '03 E39 540i/6

Lightbulb How are the Umnitzas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
I ended up going with a non laser set from Umnitza which I installed in a set of used modules so I didn't have to take apart my originals. Now just need to get around to installing
I'm looking at these for my non-laser LED lights as well.
How are you liking them so far?

Umnitza says he can sell me the circuit boards pre-mounted into the the heatsinks for an additional $60. Was hoping for a true plug and play install without having to mess with thermal paste etc. and would be an easier return to stock if required.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 12:41 PM   #108
MagnusAG99
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNRW View Post
In some states the tubes are only yellow when the low beam is on.
Theyīre white when only the DRL is on.

You should discuss this with the comment i answered ;-)
g20Nino said itīs illegal in the US.

But i donīt really get why you even mentioned it?
Its so weird how yellow is illegal as DRL/driving lights there... Here in Norway the law is the exact opposite. Yellow is legal for ECE R87 approved low and high beams, but not legal as parking lights as they have to be some variation of "white". BUT, although ive yet to see a M4CSL IRL to confirm, on reviews of Norwegian M4CSL`s with Norwegian plates they use the exact same colors as you explained, white in DRL and yellow in parking lights... Even tho that does not follow Norwegian regulations. I guess everything CAN be legal if the automaker is willing to pay enough money...
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2023, 06:56 AM   #109
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbimmerfan View Post
I'm looking at these for my non-laser LED lights as well.
How are you liking them so far?

Umnitza says he can sell me the circuit boards pre-mounted into the the heatsinks for an additional $60. Was hoping for a true plug and play install without having to mess with thermal paste etc. and would be an easier return to stock if required.
It might be worth it having Umnitza pre-mount the boards ito the heatsinks. I ended up ordering a set of modules from ebay and swapping the board out. A friend of mine that has a euro shop will be installing them next week. I'll post photos. I was looking for a true plug and play as well.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 11-08-2023 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2023, 08:39 AM   #110
the3mw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ix

Quote:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLukps4
you can just purchase the board here! I think it will be cheaper too.

Full video here!
Appreciate 0