Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Waze turn by turn instructions on the HUD

11-13-2023, 04:26 PM   #1
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive Touring LCI

Waze turn by turn instructions on the HUD

I just picked up a 2024 M340i to replace my old M235i and having all this new tech is quite amazing!

For nav, I like using Waze since that is what I've used for years now on my mobile phone. Being able to have Waze integrated now on the screen in the car is awesome!

One thing I've noticed is sometimes after starting a route, I get turn by turn instructions on the HUD but most of the times, I don't. If the cause was some setting I missed somewhere, I like to think it would be constant. Not random like it seems to be now.

Anyone seen the same thing and found out what is causing these turn by turn instructions (including street names) to sometimes show but mostly not?

Last edited by WebMaximus; 11-13-2023 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Grammar corrections
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 02:57 AM   #2
Sierra055
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 SSG, 2021 Audi SQ7

Unfortunately Waze doesn't show on the HUD. If you're an iOS user, Apple Maps does display up there, perhaps you also had a route input into that app as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 05:09 AM   #3
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Only using Waze.

Will try to grab a picture next time I see it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 09:26 AM   #4
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

So I think I figured it out. At least in my vehicle.

First, Waze indeed can show directions and street names on the HUD as seen in the photo below. However, it won't unless I first do the following:

1. Start Google Maps and start a route navigating anywhere
2. Cancel the navigation/route in Google Maps
3. Switch to Waze and put in the destination

Performing these 3 steps, Waze will show the directions and street names on the HUD.

This of course is quite cumbersome and I will probably get tired doing this whenever I use Waze. Still, good to know I can get directions on the HUD provided by Waze when I so wish.

The good news here is how this shows how Waze indeed is capable showing information on the HUD. Where I guess Google/Waze development guys and/or BMW/iDrive development guys need to figure out why it's not working without first starting a route in Google Maps.

Will try to find a suitable Google site where I can share this information. Not sure if there is a "suggestion box/bug reporting tool" to forward this kind of information on to the BMW iDrive developers.

Maybe someone in here knows?

Here's the example from earlier today where you in the first picture see my route on the main display and in the second picture, the same route on the HUD, provided by Waze.

Appreciate 2
      11-15-2023, 01:45 PM   #5
Zeros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e & 2013 528i

so, FYI, Waze used to work without this workaround up until a few months ago. I opened several tickets with Waze but they have not been able to resolve this issue. Here is an article from when it first happened. I am using the same workaround you are, but what a pain.

https://9to5google.com/2023/08/09/wa...ds-up-display/

Reporting it to BMW won't do you any good, IMO, since it is a Waze issue. This is proven since, as you know, the directions in the HUD work wine with Google maps.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 03:03 PM   #6
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Good to hear it's not just me and sorry to hear how it's been silent from Waze Support despite the reports they've received.

I just sent an email myself to support@waze.com, referencing both this thread as well as the article you linked to and I suggest all BMW owners suffering from this issue do the same. The more reports they get, the less comfortable it will become for them to ignore the issue.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2024, 12:06 PM   #7
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Today, I discovered another interesting thing.

If you start a route in Waze in your mobile phone before you get to your car, the route will be picked up by the car as soon as Android Auto connects and the HUD instructions will be present. Just like when you're starting a navigation using Google Maps in the car before switching to Waze.

Since the tech clearly is in place for this to work, I fail to understand why it's so hard to have the issue addressed by Google/Waze 🤔

What is the correct way reporting issues like this one with Waze, anyone who knows? Also, should it be reported to Waze or Google?

The email I sent to support@waze.com resulted in some form of automated message which was a dead-end as I recall it.

Based on the numbers of users affected by this issue, the low interest from Waze/Google side surprises me a bit.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2024, 08:20 AM   #8
Zeros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e & 2013 528i

I have given up on Waze ever fixing this.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 03:58 PM   #9
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

I guess most have for obvious reasons based on zero interest from the devs.

Truly sad.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 05:27 PM   #10
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

I used to have Waze running on my phone just for the alert while using Maps for navigation. Not both Google and Apple have started doing alerts too so the uniqueness of Waze isn't really that unique anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 05:56 PM   #11
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

What kind of alerts are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 07:46 PM   #12
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMaximus View Post
What kind of alerts are you referring to?
Police
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 08:05 PM   #13
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Police
Oh really, and who submits those reports? Are you saying Google Maps has become community based like Waze?

Sound like I need to check Google Maps out once more.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 02:48 AM   #14
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMaximus View Post
Oh really, and who submits those reports? Are you saying Google Maps has become community based like Waze?

Sound like I need to check Google Maps out once more.
Sorry, I was referring to Waze
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 02:59 AM   #15
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Sorry, I was referring to Waze
Hm, you left me slightly confused here based on what you said in the first post of yours I commented on, how Waze isn't that unique anymore now when other navigation apps started doing the same thing...providing alerts 🤔

Oh well, at least I'm happy we still have Waze even when it no longer seems to receive much attention from its developers to address long-going issues such as this one.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 09:31 AM   #16
dhock_holiday
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Does not work with Apple CarPlay, only way to get directions on the HUD is with Apple Maps
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 02:06 AM   #17
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Just read an interesting article about a huge upcoming Waze update. Even when it's primarily for the mobile app, maybe if we're in luck it will also come to AA and ACP down the road and if so, possibly also with a fix for the HUD issue 🤞

Either way, good to see a clear indication further development of Waze hasn't been dropped!

Here's the article I'm referring to.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/w...re-230383.html
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 06:22 AM   #18
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

I found their support ticket system here - https://www.waze.com/row-ContactForm...rd=1&locale=en.

A support person gave it in an answer to a bad review on Google Play. I filed a ticket, so hopefully if more of us do, we might get a fix for this new big update!
Appreciate 1
zlatko117.50
      03-09-2024, 08:36 AM   #19
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

That's great, will do the same and like you say, the more of us doing it the better.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 08:39 AM   #20
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_seather View Post
I found their support ticket system here - https://www.waze.com/row-ContactForm...rd=1&locale=en.

A support person gave it in an answer to a bad review on Google Play. I filed a ticket, so hopefully if more of us do, we might get a fix for this new big update!
Which category did you pick when filing your ticket?

From the options you had to choose from, none of them really matched.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 09:12 AM   #21
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

I will also file a suggestion/complaint to them, although I prefer the native HERE maps BMW uses. I have another issue with WAZE - it "hijacks" all navigation functions&screens once launcher in AA, so I have to manually start and cancel navigation in native maps in order to leave WAZE working in background and just vocally announcing police, hazards, etc. Really annoying for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 11:42 AM   #22
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

I have given up on Waze because of navigation issues. I love the various crowd sourced alerts, but the navigation is lacking.

To test, I have run Google Maps and Waze over several thousand miles of driving around the Midwest. The states I have driven though are IL, WI, OH, IA, and MI. Google is the clear winner.

I have a Galaxy S22 Ultra. To get the alerts I want, I run the Highway Radar app and use a SABRE plugin for the crowd source data. It doesn't hurt that in integrates with my R8 either.

So I have the benefits of Google's routing and all of the alerts.
Appreciate 0