Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2018 BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS Photos / Videos / Media / Journals First G20 330i arrives!

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #155
praxis218
Lieutenant
538
Rep
404
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: May 2005
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Base engine 3er with couple of options is 56k in 2019 vs 2006 base 3er with the same couple of options was then at 34k. Price increase is very noticeable if you think about it. Also, bmw has been raising prices every year, so even in 2012 e90 base with couple of options was probably close to or over 40k.

But if you are in the camp of "charge me if you can" as long as you can give me some ideas to justify the raise, then sure - you win your argument.
My 2007 328i stripper with Navigation and Sport package as the only options (it was my first car out of college) was ~$34,500 at Euro Delivery invoice + $500 profit so I don't know where your imagined $34k price tag comes from.

It was nowhere near the package level of the $56k 2019 330i, which has options out the wazoo.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #156
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
georgere's Avatar
United_States
429
Rep
1,643
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 BSM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stamford CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Base engine 3er with couple of options is 56k in 2019 vs 2006 base 3er with the same couple of options was then at 34k. Price increase is very noticeable if you think about it. Also, bmw has been raising prices every year, so even in 2012 e90 base with couple of options was probably close to or over 40k.

But if you are in the camp of "charge me if you can" as long as you can give me some ideas to justify the raise, then sure - you win your argument.
My 2007 328i stripper with Navigation and Sport package as the only options (it was my first car out of college) was ~$34,500 at Euro Delivery invoice + $500 profit so I don't know where your imagined $34k price tag comes from.

It was nowhere near the package level of the $56k 2019 330i, which has options out the wazoo.
My 2006 was 325 with sport and premium packages at 34k and change before tax. 6 speed. No navigation though as I recall it was pretty expensive at the time. I actually threw out the receipt a couple of years ago.... it was one of the first cars purchased in US as it was the first year of production. Perhaps the prices when up the next year the when they went to 328 and 335? Was yours xi?

Anyway, there u go you still paid 34k in 2007. However if you like paying 56k for that in 2019 albeit with some features added, by all means...
__________________
My 1st love was 2006 BMW 325i Sport + Prem 6MT but I married the 2016 M3 BSM MDCT.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #157
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
georgere's Avatar
United_States
429
Rep
1,643
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 BSM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stamford CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Base engine 3er with couple of options is 56k in 2019 vs 2006 base 3er with the same couple of options was then at 34k. Price increase is very noticeable if you think about it. Also, bmw has been raising prices every year, so even in 2012 e90 base with couple of options was probably close to or over 40k.

But if you are in the camp of "charge me if you can" as long as you can give me some ideas to justify the raise, then sure - you win your argument.
I've already said what I wanted to about comparing the two cars directly: you can't because you have options available on one that weren't there for the other. Plus the underlying structure of the car is also far from the same, and even the options they "share" aren't at the same level.

I think we've also covered enough times now that the 34k you keep bringing up was 13 years ago, and would be equivalent to 42-43k today. That's already the base price of the new car, which may just have a lot of things standard that you had to option 13 years ago on a 3er and even more features probably (not just tech, but engineering wise).

So, of course BMW is making money (like every other brand), and of course prices have gone up (like every other product), but not on this exceptional scale you keep pointing to in this case.
What is in there to take the price from 43 to 56?
I have already mentioned there are some new sensors, features, and stuff - I agree. But a lot of things got cheaper also. So my point is there is little to show for 13k. Thus BMW, as competition, has overpriced their products. As I said, let's wait and see how this will go. Will 3 series pple move into 2 series? I doubt. BMW will have to come up with discounts.
__________________
My 1st love was 2006 BMW 325i Sport + Prem 6MT but I married the 2016 M3 BSM MDCT.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:02 PM   #158
ProperBimmer
First Lieutenant
138
Rep
310
Posts

Drives: 15 X5, 14 335
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperBimmer View Post
Lol "my bmw is a trophy car". Referring to a 3 series!! Oh my god.....delusional as hell
Grow up. Someone could just as easily say the same thing about a brand new Civic Si or a 911 Carrera S.
Ok and I did....stop feeling offended on behalf of somebody else
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:44 PM   #159
upsidedownfunnel
Major
United_States
663
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
My 2006 was 325 with sport and premium packages at 34k and change before tax. 6 speed. No navigation though as I recall it was pretty expensive at the time. I actually threw out the receipt a couple of years ago.... it was one of the first cars purchased in US as it was the first year of production. Perhaps the prices when up the next year the when they went to 328 and 335? Was yours xi?

Anyway, there u go you still paid 34k in 2007. However if you like paying 56k for that in 2019 albeit with some features added, by all means...
The base price of a 330xi in 2006 was $38,500 which was still slower than this current 330xi. Even the 325xi cost $32,800 with zero options. After delivery and the same level of options this car has, even the 325xi can probably easily hit $43,000. Then, you have to calculate inflation. In 2006, $43,000 was the equivalent of $54,500 in 2018 money. Oh look at that. That's just about the same price.

Sources:
https://www.autotrader.com/BMW/3+Series/2006
https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc...1&year2=201812
Appreciate 1
praxis218537.50

      02-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #160
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
georgere's Avatar
United_States
429
Rep
1,643
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 BSM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stamford CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
My 2006 was 325 with sport and premium packages at 34k and change before tax. 6 speed. No navigation though as I recall it was pretty expensive at the time. I actually threw out the receipt a couple of years ago.... it was one of the first cars purchased in US as it was the first year of production. Perhaps the prices when up the next year the when they went to 328 and 335? Was yours xi?

Anyway, there u go you still paid 34k in 2007. However if you like paying 56k for that in 2019 albeit with some features added, by all means...
The base price of a 330xi in 2006 was $38,500 which was still slower than this current 330xi. Even the 325xi cost $32,800 with zero options. After delivery and the same level of options this car has, even the 325xi can probably easily hit $43,000. Then, you have to calculate inflation. In 2006, $43,000 was the equivalent of $54,500 in 2018 money. Oh look at that. That's just about the same price.

Sources:
https://www.autotrader.com/BMW/3+Series/2006
https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc...8;year2=201812
330xi in 2006 is comparable to 340xi in 2019.
330 back then, as 340 today, is way better equipped from the start and more expensive than a base 3er.
__________________
My 1st love was 2006 BMW 325i Sport + Prem 6MT but I married the 2016 M3 BSM MDCT.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #161
upsidedownfunnel
Major
United_States
663
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
330xi in 2006 is comparable to 340xi in 2019.
330 back then, as 340 today, is way better equipped from the start and more expensive than a base 3er.
My price comparison is for the 325xi. I just added in the fact that the modern 330xi is far faster than the old 330xi. The 325xi is what is about the same price fully loaded after factoring in inflation.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST