Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3 Series vs Tesla Model 3

02-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #265
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I am test driving the Tesla Model 3 on the 23rd, I am curious on how it compares to my M4.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #266
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
The main problem I see with the tesla is the interior. Too many things to list but need some more physical buttons, scale down that ugly LCD, more interior options and so on. Sat in a model X and it was lacking all around (to me) and I cannot imagine sitting there everyday. I'm sure the driving experience is good by all accounts (minus the lack of engine noise).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #267
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Yes but Tesla suffers from atrocious after sales support (Most of it caused by poor quality control at the factory and the other half by overwhelmed and understaffed service centers).

Spare parts are hard to come by and stories of people losing their Teslas to their "approved" body shops for minor repair work that can take months and generate staggering repair bills.

You can find stories in the Tesla forums. The cars might look and drive great but pray that you will never have a problem or that someone runs into you.
I can attest to some of it. my rear quarter window was smashed a few weeks back, one "approved" shop was going to charge me $1K to fix and i had to wait a month for the part. i was pissed.

Then local tesla center called and said they can have a guy out to my workplace and fix it for $300 within a week. i think at some point it'll make sense to keep everything in house eventually. more control and better margins.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #268
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

So Tesla came through for you? That's good news. I know Tesla is going the Toyota route with more vertical integration (proven method by Toyotas reputation) so that encouraging for Tesla owners. They mentioned something about keeping parts locally during the last earnings call
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 02:10 AM   #269
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
So Tesla came through for you? That's good news. I know Tesla is going the Toyota route with more vertical integration (proven method by Toyotas reputation) so that encouraging for Tesla owners. They mentioned something about keeping parts locally during the last earnings call
The local Toyota parts department supports its own service department plus zillions of indy shops in the vicinity. That is quite different than Tesla not getting sufficient indy supports (given the total number of Teslas is still quite small).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #270
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
The local Toyota parts department supports its own service department plus zillions of indy shops in the vicinity. That is quite different than Tesla not getting sufficient indy supports (given the total number of Teslas is still quite small).
I am not talking about aftermarket parts and indy shops. That will come with time "if" Tesla continue to sell in volume.

I am talking about the vertical integration of parts at Toyota. Less outsourcing, and more control in house. This, in theory, helps with reliability and quality.

Tesla's quality, as far as I can see, is quite good. Yeah some have dust in the paint, yeah some panel gaps are off. However, these issues can be solved with proper corrective action. Door panel gap is easy to adjust. I look at a Tesla like a iPhone now, they all have software glitches from time to time, which can be corrected and improved with OTA update. The hardware on the other hand, is top notch at the time it is sold. Regular cars from GM, BMW and Toyota, are held to a lower standard as far as "tech" and "improvability". No such word, but you get the point.

Last edited by openwheelracing; 02-13-2019 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #271
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

For what I have seen in the Rich Rebuilds channel, I don't believe Tesla wants any Indy involvement in the repair and support of Tesla vehicles out of warranty. They want the owner of the car to continue depending on Tesla service centers for parts distribution and support at Tesla prices. It is pretty much a proprietary car that no one but Tesla can work on.

Heck they can even disable the car if they want talk. Talk about 1984...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #272
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Rich Rebuild is making money on Youtube. The more sensationalized the videos are, the more clicks and buzz they generate. With that said, he loves his Teslas (when they are built, or actually delivered).

I seriously doubt Tesla owners will have to resort to only buy parts from Tesla. Tesla is dominating the BEV market at the moment (likely for a while), just wait until more players join the market and catch up.
      02-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #273
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
I am not talking about aftermarket parts and indy shops. That will come with time "if" Tesla continue to sell in volume.

I am talking about the vertical integration of parts at Toyota. Less outsourcing, and more control in house. This, in theory, helps with reliability and quality.

Tesla's quality, as far as I can see, is quite good. Yeah some have dust in the paint, yeah some panel gaps are off. However, these issues can be solved with proper corrective action. Door panel gap is easy to adjust. I look at a Tesla like a iPhone now, they all have software glitches from time to time, which can be corrected and improved with OTA update. The hardware on the other hand, is top notch at the time it is sold. Regular cars from GM, BMW and Toyota, are held to a lower standard as far as "tech" and "improvability". No such word, but you get the point.
My impression is that Tesla is top-notch on SV tech and battery module hardware and such. However, it skips on auto hardware basics like body-in-white and imaterial and manufacturing and assembly. It is like building an Olympian on top of malformed bone structure or something.

Your observation of BMW/Toyota being low-standard on tech, can be true, for now, but a car is still a car so the auto hardware needs to be solid(and tear-downs show otherwise).

To improve on those Tesla may need to retool its production lines(and halt production), and that's costly. That may be what is happening anyway, as reports say Fremont plant can consistently keep 5k/week Model 3 target.

The inhouse parts supply sounds like a great idea, but Tesla's low volume also means Tesla needs to bear high prices, so there is no free lunch. Toyota/Honda's scales allow them to rip benefits, but Tesla's scale does not.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #274
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Disagree on the following, I think we already beat the horse to death.

1. Body in white. It's a stiff chassis with great crash result. It handles like a dream. Munroe complained about it's high cost and over engineering, not the performance of the chassis. It does weigh more than a BMW 330i, but we don't have a proper.competitor.from BMW to compare the weigh for at least couple more years.

2. "Auto hardware" is top notch according to the tear down by Munroe Associates. Not sure how you interpreted otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #275
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Do test drive G20 before committing to Model 3, G20 is really that good!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #276
moltenfire
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII Coral Red

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
In Canada, a 2020 BMW M340i xDrive with metallic paint, premium excellence package, 2VF adaptive M suspension, with freight & PDI has an MSRP almost the same as a Tesla Model 3 in Black with AWD, Enhanced Autopilot, and documentation fees. Both are around CAD$75k. I test drive a Tesla Model 3 AWD in the snow and it was a beast (although the wipers froze and we had to pound on the door handles to get ice off). Am waiting to test drive a M340i xDrive in the summer and see what discounts dealers give. No EV rebate in Ontario.

The decision is not easy!

Here's my pros/cons list:
All PROs below. A CON is the other car's PRO.

BMW M340i xDrive (CAD$75000 MSRP with PDI & Friends before tax)
- Laserlight high beams
- Faster 0-100 (4.4 v. 4.8 secs)
- Choice of colours - Sunset Orange or Portimao Blue
- Standard Performance non-RFT Tires / Heads Up Display / Wireless Charging / Apple CarPlay / FM/AM/Sat
- Heated steering wheel
- Cross traffic alert/blind spot lights in mirror & vibrate
- Can negotiate lower than MSRP -> may be several thousands $$ difference
- Can lease
- European Delivery

Tesla Model 3 Black AWD EAP (CAD$75800 with doc fees before tax)
- Enhanced Autopilot is a better Autopilot
- Larger sunroof (but doesn't open)
- EV drivetrain
- Software updates
- Air Conditioned/Warmed cabin without idling
Appreciate 1
G8rGrl568.50
      02-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #277
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

A colleague moved from E90 to Model 3 last December, I will try to get him to test drive G20 and provide unabridged feedback
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #278
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

We should take no pleasure in anyone else's failures, but this was certainly anticipated by some.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/21/tesl...ty-survey.html

Before anyone starts bashing CR, this is not their editorial opinion of the car (which was good), but a survey of Model 3 owners in sufficient sample size for statistical reliability.

Nice to see BMW doing well, and surprisingly far above MB. I wouldn't have expected to see Audi where it turned out based on my experience, but that reinforces the risk of relying on a single/small sample....our 2016 A6 was quite poor quality.

And, how about those folks at Subaru!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #279
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

I had a Tesla Model S P80D for a week, in the summer of 2017. I would describe it as very impressive if you don't like cars. The speed, the screen, the spaceship sound is very interesting and it has the wow factor.
But it's amazing to me how some people complain about BMW's steering feel, or weight, or driving dynamics in some cases; then they say Tesla is great. I mean if the focus is steering, weight, driving dynamics; Tesla is not in that conversation. It has the performance of a Ferrari, but the breaks and suspension of a Camry. Sure, the weight is at the bottom, which helps with the balance, but balance is not everything, and you don't even feel it much since the steering is Ford F-150 bad.
Switching back to my M4 that I had back then was a revelation. The steering, the seats, the interior, the build quality, and the overall driving feel of the car was much better than Tesla Model S, which was more expensive than the M4.
Oh, also, if you're claiming that Tesla Model 3 has a 'quality' or 'well built' interior, you don't even know what 'well built' means.. Sorry.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 02-21-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #280
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I had a Tesla Model S P80D for a week, in the summer of 2017. I would describe it as very impressive if you don't like cars. The speed, the screen, the spaceship sound is very interesting and it has the wow factor.
But it's amazing to me how some people complain about BMW's steering feel, or weight, or driving dynamics in some cases; then they say Tesla is great. I mean if the focus is steering, weight, driving dynamics; Tesla is not in that conversation. It has the performance of a Ferrari, but the breaks and suspension of a Camry. Sure, the weight is at the bottom, which helps with the balance, but balance is not everything, and you don't even feel it much since the steering is Ford F-150 bad.
Switching back to my M4 that I had back then was a revelation. The steering, the seats, the interior, the build quality, and the overall driving feel of the car was much better than Tesla Model S, which was more expensive than the M4.
Oh, also, if you're claiming that Tesla Model 3 has a 'quality' or 'well built' interior, you don't even know what 'well built' means.. Sorry.
Have u driven Model 3, and if so, how do u compare that to your Model S experience?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #281
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
You can find way more of the same type stories right here on bimmerpost. Tesla is no worse. Actually, my personal experience with my local Tesla service center has been better than with the BMW dealership.
Anecdotal evidence < Statistical evidence. This is a BMW owners' website where owners post their problems. Of course you'll see a bunch of them.

But statistacally, Tesla is way behind in terms of support and reliability.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #282
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Have u driven Model 3, and if so, how do u compare that to your Model S experience?
I didn't drive the Model 3, I just checked it out at the dealer. I think Model S interior is better. And even though button-less port-less feature is nice, and it's fine on an iPhone; but I don't really understand why the driver should go into a touch screen menu and a sub-menu to open the sunroof or something. I guess the idea there is that the car will be self-driving anyway, so you don't have to keep your eyes on the road. But no one can claim it's a good design ergonomically.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #283
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence < Statistical evidence. This is a BMW owners' website where owners post their problems. Of course you'll see a bunch of them.
Exactly. Now please look at the post I was responding to.
Quote:
But statistacally, Tesla is way behind in terms of support and reliability.
(citation needed)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #284
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
I don't really understand why the driver should go into a touch screen menu and a sub-menu to open the sunroof or something.
Especially when the car has a fixed glass roof. Right?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #285
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...1832791379/amp

Tesla Model 3 no longer recommended by Consumer Reports.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #286
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. Now please look at the post I was responding to.

(citation needed)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ey/1748024002/

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...reliable-cars/

https://www.motortrader.com/motor-tr...vey-06-09-2018

Do you need more? They're all around the place. Tesla appears to be the absolute worst by a mile, even behind brands like Alfa Romeo that are well known with reliability issues.

Quote:
Especially when the car has a fixed glass roof. Right?
Sorry, miss-remembered. That was Model S. But vipers, cruise control, drive modes and many other things that you need to switch while driving are all on-screen. When germans will hopefully come up with competitors, I'm pretty sure we won't have Camry breaks-weird ergonomics-panel gaps.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 02-21-2019 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0