Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 2021 330i single jerk when full throttle at low speeds

11-02-2023, 10:59 AM   #1
apG20
Rep
Drives: BMW g20 330i

Garage List
2021 330i single jerk when full throttle at low speeds

9/10 when I do a red light pull or full throttle under 20 the car jerks on the downshift. I’ve been driving my car fairly hard the past few weeks and I’ve been using M/S a lot. Whenever I shift move the shifter over to S and full throttle the car jerks when shifting from 1st to 2nd. If I’m in 2nd and full throttle, the car jerks on the downshift. Anyone know if I screwed up my transmission or have some sort of drivetrain problem.
Appreciate 1
chrish_22114.00
      11-02-2023, 02:58 PM   #2
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by apG20 View Post
9/10 when I do a red light pull or full throttle under 20 the car jerks on the downshift. I’ve been driving my car fairly hard the past few weeks and I’ve been using M/S a lot. Whenever I shift move the shifter over to S and full throttle the car jerks when shifting from 1st to 2nd. If I’m in 2nd and full throttle, the car jerks on the downshift. Anyone know if I screwed up my transmission or have some sort of drivetrain problem.
Sounds fairly normal to me. You mentioned driving aggressively for a bit and I believe the transmission can "adapt" to your driving habits. This is likely the cause and the "jerk" from downshifting also sounds normal because it does utilize engine braking to slow down.

I may be wrong, so feel free to correct me!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 09:40 PM   #3
apG20
Rep
Drives: BMW g20 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish_22 View Post
Sounds fairly normal to me. You mentioned driving aggressively for a bit and I believe the transmission can "adapt" to your driving habits. This is likely the cause and the "jerk" from downshifting also sounds normal because it does utilize engine braking to slow down.

I may be wrong, so feel free to correct me!
Can confirm now that it’s 100% something with the transmission at lower gears. When I got the car I realized quickly how the transmission would jerk alot due to it being a 8 speed. This is a lot audible jerk and you can feel it in the rear of the car (my cars rwd.) i hope it’s just the transmission adapting, but idk if that’s the case because I’ve always driven the car hard and I’ve had it for 8ish months. Wouldn’t be surprised if something’s wrong, classic BMW.
Appreciate 1
chrish_22114.00
      11-04-2023, 02:25 PM   #4
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by apG20 View Post
Can confirm now that it’s 100% something with the transmission at lower gears. When I got the car I realized quickly how the transmission would jerk alot due to it being a 8 speed. This is a lot audible jerk and you can feel it in the rear of the car (my cars rwd.) i hope it’s just the transmission adapting, but idk if that’s the case because I’ve always driven the car hard and I’ve had it for 8ish months. Wouldn’t be surprised if something’s wrong, classic BMW.

Hmm...yeah I would just take it in to get it checked out just in case!
Appreciate 1
apG2022.00