Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Pictures of our first M340i on the lot (Mineral Gray / Cognac)

04-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #243
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Stopped by to look!
I don't get the hype about Dravit Gray. Why should I have to spend $2,000 extra to get a generic gray that's free on a Honda Accord?

I'm going to order Black Sapphire Metallic when my lease is up because the Cerium bits just look plain weird on most exterior colors. And apparently Portimao Blue seems to have a lot of purple tinge in certain lighting?
Looks better in person. It's got a green / purple tint to it.
      04-12-2019, 07:03 PM   #244
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Looks better in person. It's got a green / purple tint to it.

Your talking about Dravit right ? In bright sunlight you can definitely see a green tint to it, part of the reason I’m so fond of the color. But in dark or overcast weather, it just looks like a very very deep Grey . Which isnt a bad thing per se. Most the pics floating around here are either showroom photos or outside shots with gloomy weather. Hard to depict it
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #245
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Friese View Post
Not a chance. At most, the base M3 will be in the low to mid 70s.

Keep paying 60-70k for your M340s though
Here, let me fix those numbers real quick for you . Your comparing a nicely optioned or fully loaded M340i to a non existent base M3 , yet to be released. But for argument sake ...

Base M340i : $54,000 & ( Speculation ) Base M3 : $72,000

That's an $18k price delta.

Fully loaded M340i : $70,000 , (Speculation) M3 Comp loaded: $90-100k
Yeah I get this logic... I don't understand why we keep comparing a fully loaded vehicle to a stripper version of another vehicle... Usually the people who purchase stripper M3's are purists / want to take it to the track... They'd never cross shop it to a fully loaded 340 - it'd also be a stripper model...
I'm not sure if you've seen the option list for an M3 but there's very few boxes to click. The M3 comes standard with a lot of what is an option for a 340i. A comparable 340i to M3 is between $7,000-$10,000. This is even less if you didn't go for the comp pack or the DCT. Start adding m performance to the 340i and you can get within a couple thousand.

At the end of the day you need to look at cost of ownership. In 3 years, that 65,000 340i is going to be worth ~32,000. The M3 will be worth 45-50. So in 3 years you paid $33,000 and drove a subpar vehicle where as if you went with the M3, you'd only have paid $25,000 to $30,000.

This isn't about bashing those who have a 340i on order, it's about opening their eyes that their paying more money for a car designed for "sheep" and the clueless mass market who can't do some simple math and only look at MSRP. The fact that you can lease an M3 CS for what a 340i leases for now boggles my mind why anyone would want the 340i even if it didn't look like a run of the mill 3 series.
Let me begin by saying that the M3 is clearly a higher performance car. Actually, I don't think anybody on this thread would dispute that.

But why are you comparing the price of a dated, outgoing model with 6 year old tech to a brand new model release? You need to wait and compare prices after the 2020 M3 is released. The new generation will be quite a bit more expensive than the last.

Yes, a 2018 M3 can currently be had for >10% discount off MSRP but so can the M340. There are some decent incentives on the M340. $3000 off lease+loyalty or $3750 off financing+loyalty. It is possible to get a fully loaded M340 with M-Performance add-ons for under $60k. How much will you pay for a fully loaded 2020 M3?

I don't know why people keep comparing the M3 to the M340i. There is a huge gap between the 330i and the M3. The M340i fills that gap.
Defending it from the point of someone who has a 340i on order isn't very creditable, now is it? If you haven't taken delivery of the car yet, you can still get out. That's what happens when you order a car without first seeing it.

Look even if the new M3 is 15k more than a comparable 340i, with resale value it's still the better choice in terms of performance and financially. I'm sorry but a 2018 M3 CS is not dated, and If that's what you have to tell yourself to justify your new Lexus, go ahead.

A final note, the 330i is not a HUGE gap from the M3. It can actually be specced identical to a 340i, look exactly like a 340i, and be priced within a couple thousand. The only difference being 2 cylinders.
Yeah, the only difference being two cylinders lol. You guys crack me up.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #246
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Yeah, the only difference being two cylinders lol. You guys crack me up.
Actually, that's not the only difference! Better 330i weight distribution results in a handling/steering response feel improvement, and rumor has it the 330 has the more improved steering rack and in RWD may be the best overall driving experience.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #247
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
Man this hate for the G20 is getting out of hand.... Were car enthusiasts, I don't get why were hating so much on the new model yes it takes some tome to get used to but tone it down... We get it it's not a full M, we get it about the grilles, we get it about the Lexus rear (which I don't agree with) everyone's gotta slowdown and just appreciate the fact we got something new, and more powerful and probably more fun to drive.. I personally love the look of the g20 it's modern, sharp and aggressive , I seen one driving on the road the other day and wow did it have a deadly presence on the road.. common guys let's slow it down and be less hard on the G20 series's it's not going anywhere and it's here to stay for the next 7 years. Like I ordered my Mineral White M340i.. and I'm so excited but these forum posts are making me feel like I shouldn't have purchased it and I did the wrong choice.
Do yourself a favor and stop looking to these forums for validation. Each time the new model is introduced, it gets harshly criticized, often by those clinging to the out-going model, or chassis design. This is usually because:
-they have some time left on their lease...or
-their spouse won't let them buy a new car
-they're afraid of change
-they're jealous that others are happily buying a new car
-they're followers who enjoy parroting others' opinions

It's actually kind of amusing...
Appreciate 9
      04-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #248
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Man this hate for the G20 is getting out of hand.... Were car enthusiasts, I don't get why were hating so much on the new model yes it takes some tome to get used to but tone it down... We get it it's not a full M, we get it about the grilles, we get it about the Lexus rear (which I don't agree with) everyone's gotta slowdown and just appreciate the fact we got something new, and more powerful and probably more fun to drive.. I personally love the look of the g20 it's modern, sharp and aggressive , I seen one driving on the road the other day and wow did it have a deadly presence on the road.. common guys let's slow it down and be less hard on the G20 series's it's not going anywhere and it's here to stay for the next 7 years. Like I ordered my Mineral White M340i.. and I'm so excited but these forum posts are making me feel like I shouldn't have purchased it and I did the wrong choice.
Do yourself a favor and stop looking to these forums for validation. Each time the new model is introduced, it gets harshly criticized, often by those clinging to the out-going model, or chassis design. This is usually because:
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #249
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Quote:
Stopped by to look!
I don't get the hype about Dravit Gray. Why should I have to spend $2,000 extra to get a generic gray that's free on a Honda Accord?

I'm going to order Black Sapphire Metallic when my lease is up because the Cerium bits just look plain weird on most exterior colors. And apparently Portimao Blue seems to have a lot of purple tinge in certain lighting?
Dravit Grey seems to be the best color on the M340. Pictures don't do it justice. It looks badass in person. The grill with Dravit does not stand out as much as it does with other colors.
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #250
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Dravit Grey seems to be the best color on the M340. Pictures don't do it justice. It looks badass in person. The grill with Dravit does not stand out as much as it does with other colors.
I agree 100%... I opted to not go with Dravit Grey due to the risk of a delayed delivery, still kickin myself!

I think that exterior with a Mocha interior and black wheels would be amazing!!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #251
Mr Friese
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Meh, I actually like the car other than the grill which just ruins it for me. I think when you have such a polarizing design element, it's bound to trigger the masses.

It doesn't bother me but it also doesn't help that a portion (albeit a small one) of M340 buyers keep proclaiming that the 340 is a full M car. That alone will piss off a lot of M folks, even though everyone should know by now that it is in now way shape or form an M car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #252
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
I agree 100%... I opted to not go with Dravit Grey due to the risk of a delayed delivery, still kickin myself!

I think that exterior with a Mocha interior and black wheels would be amazing!!
Funny you mention that. That is my build exactly. I originally went with Cognac but later switched to Dravit with Mocha.
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 1
BigSky702687.00
      04-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #253
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Meh, I actually like the car other than the grill which just ruins it for me. I think when you have such a polarizing design element, it's bound to trigger the masses.

It doesn't bother me but it also doesn't help that a portion (albeit a small one) of M340 buyers keep proclaiming that the 340 is a full M car. That alone will piss off a lot of M folks, even though everyone should know by now that it is in now way shape or form an M car.
I don't understand why that should piss off m-car owners. Those who drive a real M, know what they have. If someone in the new 340i gets satisfaction thinking that they have something more special than what it is, who cares. It doesn't make the m3 ownership experience any different.
Appreciate 1
RPM90889.50
      04-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #254
Mr Friese
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't understand why that should piss off m-car owners. Those who drive a real M, know what they have. If someone in the new 340i gets satisfaction thinking that they have something more special than what it is, who cares. It doesn't make the m3 ownership experience any different.
Yeah I find it funny personally, but others just have thin skin I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #255
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
LOL.. the ///Mxxx cars are here, so the true "M" people will just have to deal!

they feel threatened, because their perceived "exclusivity" is gone... we have a name for those types, starts with a B

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #256
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

While I do think they are throwing too many M-badges out now on cars, I wouldn't say it stops me from buying one, and as an M-owner I wouldn't be too mad as I know what I have, but honestly their probably just doing it because Audi has S# and Mercedes has AMG-Sport, so BMW decided they had to join in to get the sales and attention as well.

What's funny is people forget that they pulled this move a long time ago in the 80's with the M535i and M635i and think that this is new for BMW to put an M pre-fix in front of a non-M car

Fuller1216.50
Fugly M35075.50
ZHPsedan135.50
      04-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #257
Fuller
Major
Rep

I love the looks of that m635i.
Appreciate 2
Fugly M35075.50
MmmmmM22588.50
      04-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #258
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
The original 6 is special, not quite E9 special, but special.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      04-14-2019, 12:19 AM   #259
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Totally agree! One of the best looking BMW's ever.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #260
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Found these on BMWBlog's facebook page, looks like Tanzanite Blue II
Attached Images

Fuller1216.50
ZHPsedan135.50
      04-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #261
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAU GRAU View Post
The original 6 is special, not quite E9 special, but special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Totally agree! One of the best looking BMW's ever.
Agree! The unequalled standard remains worth a daily dose of "look!"
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 5
DZ F30303.50
Fugly M35075.50
stein_325i25083.00
Fuller1216.50
      04-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #262
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Found these on BMWBlog's facebook page, looks like Tanzanite Blue II
Two-thirds of those shots look great!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #263
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

People are entitled to their option. And it's a free forum to post what you want (to an extent). Ahh it's just not doing it for me. The grills and the exhaust (I can see through the tail pipes). That is bothersome. Feels like BMW didn't want to spend and make it a true straight pipe exhaust. The rear other than that isnt bad. It may look better in person but the body lines seem absent.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #264
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Agree! The unequalled standard remains worth a daily dose of "look!"