Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications AA Catted DP

08-03-2022, 09:07 PM   #89
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayze View Post
After market catted downpipe passes smog no problem? Im in CA as well.
I'm in California as well and to the best of my knowledge, if it's catted and doesn't trigger a CEL, then it'll pass smog. From what I've read, AA uses a high quality cat, which is why it's more expensive than the competitors.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 11:23 PM   #90
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whofelt View Post
Quote:
I'm in California as well and to the best of my knowledge, if it's catted and doesn't trigger a CEL, then it'll pass smog. From what I've read, AA uses a high quality cat, which is why it's more expensive than the competitors.
AA uses an EPA approved cat, not a CARB approved one.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 09:35 AM   #91
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4sh_90 View Post
Ok
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 10:18 AM   #92
GDBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M4CX | '19 X7 5i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDBimmer View Post
You don't need a tune to run an aftermarket DP, but if you go catless you will get a CEL (which can be removed when you get your car tuned.)

I'm running the AA catted DP in my JB4 '21 M340 with no issues. I get my car serviced at a local euro shop, so I can't speak with certainty for the dealer experience, but I would assume the worst-case situation is them making a note of it in your car's file.
That's an open question and depends on your tech, technically any downpipe catted or not is illegal in California, but the AA should pass a sniffer test. Do note that smog is not required for 7 years after a car is built.
Appreciate 1
mondayze497.00
      08-11-2022, 11:53 AM   #93
mondayze
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi LCI

Quote:
Do note that smog is not required for 7 years after a car is built.
That is very good to know
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 03:02 PM   #94
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just bought one for my 2022 M340ix, I’m also in California 👍

Last edited by whofelt; 08-13-2022 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 02:47 PM   #95
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Just bought one for my 2022 M340ix, I’m also in California 👍
Considering I also have a MY 22 and am not at this moment willing to send my ECU to femto, are you going to tune your car after downpipe install or leave as is?
      08-15-2022, 04:21 PM   #96
Tippi
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Considering I also have a MY 22 and am not at this moment willing to send my ECU to femto, are you going to tune your car after downpipe install or leave as is?
FWIW, I'm ALSO in CA (Los Angeles area) and I am considering picking up an AA catted downpipe also, but I'm not looking to tune my car (I also have a '22 M340iX). I just want a few extra HP and a little bit more aggressive exhaust sound. My previous car was a Charger Scat Pack, so I'm not looking for anything too loud - been there, done that.

Might pair it with a Dinan intake too, but not sure yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 09:28 PM   #97
GDBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M4CX | '19 X7 5i

Quote:
Quote:
Just bought one for my 2022 M340ix, I'm also in California 👍
Just to let you know if you ever do decide to send your ECU in, it's an easy process. I have a G82 now and got it unlocked by them in under a week
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 11:44 PM   #98
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
leave as is
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 11:46 PM   #99
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippi View Post
FWIW, I'm ALSO in CA (Los Angeles area) and I am considering picking up an AA catted downpipe also, but I'm not looking to tune my car (I also have a '22 M340iX). I just want a few extra HP and a little bit more aggressive exhaust sound. My previous car was a Charger Scat Pack, so I'm not looking for anything too loud - been there, done that.

stock exhaust + downpipe sounds great from the videos I've seen online. I definitely do not want to get a new cutback, just too loud. I ultimately went with just the aa catted downpipe and stock non-mpe exhaust

I do not have any plans in getting an intake, stock one is fine, intake doesn't really give that much if any hp/tq anyways. downpipe is well worth the $$$

I'll install it next week on my day off

Last edited by whofelt; 08-16-2022 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:51 AM   #100
Tippi
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:

I'll install it next week on my day off
Nice - definitely circle back with your thoughts when you do!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 12:16 PM   #101
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Just to let you know if you ever do decide to send your ECU in, it's an easy process. I have a G82 now and got it unlocked by them in under a week
Appreciate the feedback. I actually started following them on IG and feel a bit more comfortable now that I know FEMTO is real, lol.
      08-17-2022, 12:18 PM   #102
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippi View Post

Same here. I love my MPE but sometimes I wish it was little louder/deeper.
      08-18-2022, 11:02 AM   #103
f8xxer
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Quote:
And just because the cat is EPA approved does not mean the downpipe is EPA approved.

The removal of the secondary cat makes the downpipe illegal in the eyes of the EPA and CARB.

In my opinion, the downpipe companies who state that the cat they are using is "EPA approved" are playing games with the truth and putting buyers at risk.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #104
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f8xxer View Post
And just because the cat is EPA approved does not mean the downpipe is EPA approved.

The removal of the secondary cat makes the downpipe illegal in the eyes of the EPA and CARB.

In my opinion, the downpipe companies who state that the cat they are using is "EPA approved" are playing games with the truth and putting buyers at risk.
A lot to unpack here.

The downpipe is just a pipe carrying exhaust gases from the turbo to the rest of the exhaust system. As far as I know, only the catalytic converter within the downpipe needs to adhere to emissions standards.

There's only the one catalytic converter on the NA spec G20s. EU spec has an OPF further down in the exhaust system.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 11:47 AM   #105
f8xxer
Rep

Quote:
A lot to unpack here.

The downpipe is just a pipe carrying exhaust gases from the turbo to the rest of the exhaust system. As far as I know, only the catalytic converter within the downpipe needs to adhere to emissions standards.
Nope, EPA compliance explicitly states that the emissions devices cannot be altered unless the product used is EPA approved.

So removal of the secondary cat violates EPA law, making the car illegal.

If they replaced both cats with EPA approved high flow cats, then there would be no issue. But the car comes with two cats from the factory in order to meet emissions standards.

Quote:
There's only the one catalytic converter on the NA spec G20s. EU spec has an OPF further down in the exhaust system.
Nope, there are two cats. The big can in the factory downpipe contains two individual cores in there with a gap in between (where the second O2 sensor threads in).

All the catted performance downpipes I know of, including this one, only have one cat core. No secondary one, which violates EPA and CARB laws.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:04 PM   #106
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nope, EPA compliance explicitly states that the emissions devices cannot be altered unless the product used is EPA approved.

So removal of the secondary cat violates EPA law, making the car illegal.

If they replaced both cats with EPA approved high flow cats, then there would be no issue. But the car comes with two cats from the factory in order to meet emissions standards.

Nope, there are two cats. The big can in the factory downpipe contains two individual cores in there with a gap in between (where the second O2 sensor threads in).

All the catted performance downpipes I know of, including this one, only have one cat core. No secondary one, which violates EPA and CARB laws.
Well then, you learn something new everyday.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:14 PM   #107
f8xxer
Rep

Quote:
Well then, you learn something new everyday.
Right? That's my pet peeve with the "EPA approved" marketing they use, it's only a half-truth and causes the buyer to unknowingly break the law. The buyer thinks they are doing the right thing, but in reality, they are not.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:30 PM   #108
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Right? That's my pet peeve with the "EPA approved" marketing they use, it's only a half-truth and causes the buyer to unknowingly break the law. The buyer thinks they are doing the right thing, but in reality, they are not.
Also not to villainize AA, the buyer has to accept most responsibility to know their state's emissions laws as not all states adhere to what the EPA has to say. I knowingly modified my emissions system with an aftermarket downpipe as NY only cares that the vehicle equipment is OBD2 compliant, meaning no check engine light.

Sure it may not be EPA legal, but NYS is okay with me keeping it on the road that way.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:39 PM   #109
f8xxer
Rep

Quote:
Also not to villainize AA, the buyer has to accept most responsibility to know their state's emissions laws as not all states adhere to what the EPA has to say. I knowingly modified my emissions system with an aftermarket downpipe as NY only cares that the vehicle equipment is OBD2 compliant, meaning no check engine light.

Sure it may not be EPA legal, but NYS is okay with me keeping it on the road that way.
No, EPA is a federal standard that applies to all states, regardless if they inspect for it or not.

And NYS isn't OK, they just aren't doing a proper inspection. Part of their annual inspection is supposed to be visual, and if they knew what they were looking at they would see that the downpipe on your car only has one cat. The fact that they aren't doing a proper inspection does not mean they are OK with the extra emissions you are producing, they just don't know about it.

In the end, this is exactly the problem with a company stating "EPA approved." The end user, like you, is confused, and worst case completely ignorant that they are breaking federal and state laws.

If the end user is properly informed and still decides to proceed at their own risk, that's a whole different concept.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:47 PM   #110
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, EPA is a federal standard that applies to all states, regardless if they inspect for it or not.

And NYS isn't OK, they just aren't doing a proper inspection. Part of their annual inspection is supposed to be visual, and if they knew what they were looking at they would see that the downpipe on your car only has one cat. The fact that they aren't doing a proper inspection does not mean they are OK with the extra emissions you are producing, they just don't know about it.

In the end, this is exactly the problem with a company stating "EPA approved." The end user, like you, is confused, and worst case completely ignorant that they are breaking federal and state laws.

If the end user is properly informed and still decides to proceed at their own risk, that's a whole different concept.
Ever see a Florida or Mississippi emissions inspection? It's kinda hard to because there isn't one. EPA might set federal standards, but it's up to the individual states to mandate and inspect for it. NYS also bans window tint on vehicles, but in other states you can spray paint all of the vehicle glass black and still put the vehicle on the road - it's all up to the states to decide what goes into a vehicle inspection. No EPA police is coming to knock down my door because of my aftermarket downpipe. I just drive to Goodyear once a year and wait an hour while the inspector plugs the inspection unit into my car's OBD port, does his safety check, and then slaps a sticker on my car saying it's good to go until next year. They can stare at the downpipe all they want, but as long as the car isn't producing a check engine light, everything is fine. Again, this is just for NY though. Experiences may vary by state.

There's no confusion here, pal. I'm just not peddling some tin foil hat theories about EPA "legality" on the engine modification section of a BMW owners forum.

Appreciate 0