Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Rearview Camera Display - Recall

10-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

New recall on my M340i: Rear-view camera related

Just received notification from my dealer:

Safety Risk
At the "next backing event", if a vehicle operator relied on the displayed image, with brightness set at/near its lowest setting, and contrast set at/near its highest setting, then in certain lighting conditions, this could affect the visibility of certain object behind the vehicle.. However, vehicles are equipped with a Park Distance Control (PDC) system which alerts vehicle operators, both audibly and visually, to objects behind a vehicle.

Remedy
The rearview camera software will be updated to reduce the brightness and contrast adjustment range.

Manufacturer's Notes
For additional information or assistance, please contact Customer Relations and Service at 1-800-525-7417 or via Email at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
I just logged on and I have the same recall. I wonder if they will update the entire iDrive software to the latest version?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Sounds like just a patch to the camera specifically

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
humm mine works fine
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Rearview Camera Display - Recall

Last Updated: OCT 09, 2019

Description of Problem

The rearview camera display may not fully conform to a Federal requirement. If the brightness is set at/near its lowest setting, and the contrast is set at/near its highest setting then, at the "next backing event", the display may not meet a Federal requirement.

Safety Risk

At the "next backing event", if a vehicle operator relied on the displayed image, with brightness set at/near its lowest setting, and contrast set at/near its highest setting, then in certain lighting conditions, this could affect the visibility of certain object behind the vehicle.. However, vehicles are equipped with a Park Distance Control (PDC) system which alerts vehicle operators, both audibly and visually, to objects behind a vehicle.

Description of Repair

The rearview camera software will be updated to reduce the brightness and contrast adjustment range.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #6
R.Wiggum
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
I just logged on and I have the same recall. I wonder if they will update the entire iDrive software to the latest version?
Use the recall as the reason to get the iDrive update. Took my car into the dealer last week for a separate recall, and they updated my iDrive no questions asked.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #7
Uoflfan27
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Use the recall as the reason to get the iDrive update. Took my car into the dealer last week for a separate recall, and they updated my iDrive no questions asked.
What was the recall you brought yours in for?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
R.Wiggum
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

Looks like it was something related to the battery. Found the description in the X5 thread https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=3:

TSB #B610319
NHTSA ID #10160264
APRIL 01 2019
Additional Info:
How to Fix
Summary: SERVICE ACTION: PROGRAM OR REPLACE DUAL STORAGE SYSTEM BATTERY. A software error intermittently causes a continuous resetting of the microcontroller in the power management system. This causes the red Check Control Message (CCM) "Replace Battery"
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
I brought my car in today because the windshield was cracked by a rock (not just chipped, but cracked like across half the windshield!) - anyway, I asked them to apply the recall as well and asked if it was an update to the latest iDrive version or something else and he said it was an update to the latest iDrive. I told him I was having problems with my Carplay also and had heard the latest iDrive fixes a lot of the problems - and he said that I'll be getting it - I guess I'll see!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #10
teeebone
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3

Interestingly enough I have a problem with my X3 I just purchased last week which was manufactured in Nov. 2019. On overcast days my Idrive screen dims to maybe 50% of what it is on sunny days (when it is bright and crystal clear). After bringing it in and parking it next to another 2020 but this one manufactured in June 2019 we noticed the other car had a perfect display - not even close to mine. The service manager believes it is because this other car has not had the recall software update done yet but since mine was manufactured in November mine does...he thinks the update makes the screen dimmer on overcast days. The difference is so pronounced I would never bring my car in for that recall update if I had the choice, but mine came with it.
Appreciate 0