Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Parasitic Battery Drain?

04-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
gsantopaolo
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G21 330i XDrive MSport

Parasitic Battery Drain?

Hello everyone,
Hope you are doing well.
I noticed a strange (to me) battery drain on the BMW.
Since we went on lockdown, mid-March I tested the battery with a multimeter, and it was like 11.50V after I was not using the car for like a month.
I bought a battery charger, the Einhell CE-BC 6M, and on March 26th, I fully charged the battery, so it was like 12.6V.
Today I rechecked the battery with the multimeter, and it is 12.1V
I was wondering if it can be due to a Parasitic Battery Drain Or if this is normal, and I have to charge it again.

Looking forward to hearing from you and stay safe
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsantopaolo View Post
Hello everyone,
Hope you are doing well.
Since we went on lockdown, mid-March I tested the battery with a multimeter, and it was like 11.50V after I was not using the car for like a month.
I bought a battery charger, the Einhell CE-BC 6M, and on March 26th, I fully charged the battery, so it was like 12.6V.
I was wondering if it can be due to a Parasitic Battery Drain Or if this is normal, and I have to charge it again.

Even with the car off and locked, the car still has electronics that are running. The car does self-tests from time to time as well like pushing air through the lines to see if there are any holes.

The battery draining completely normal. These things don't like to sit and if it sits long enough and the battery drains enough, you're going to get a host of warning lights on the dash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

In a quiet garage, if you open the door to my car there is a hum on the inside. I'm not sure what it is, but the car is definitely not "off".
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 01:44 AM   #4
bombstar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' 330i Sport Line

Is the hum from the back of the car? My car was having this issue and they traced it to the rear windshield heater having a short because of the TSB for the seal. That said, these batteries drain somewhat fast anyway, so its probably ok.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
jeremycanada
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BWM M340i

My m340i already got a battery malfunction warning, the dealer changed one small battery which located in the engine bay passenger side. Everything works again.
2018 Audi S5-
2020 Bmw M340i
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #6
newway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsantopaolo View Post
Hello everyone,
Hope you are doing well.

I would say it is normal, I average about 50-60mins driving a week and even less back in March-May due to lock down. I noticed recently my auto start/stop never kicks in so I suspect my battery is not full enough.

Last week I used a trickle charger to charge my car, and based on my calculation it took about 30Ah to full. Since the battery volume is like 90Ah, it means it loses about ⅓ of the charge.
Appreciate 0