Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Custom 330i Exhaust Work

05-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
blackg20_330i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Xdrive

So, in 2 days I will be going to an exhaust shop in my area to get a custom exhaust fabricated for my car. When I get there I will decide on whether to keep the whole exhaust oval piping or go to round piping. The plan is to cut the stock exhaust somewhere between the downpipe and the resonator so I can keep the factory exhaust intact and revert back to stock when I sell the car. It will be a full 3.5in (at least I think thats what I heard the stock exhaust diameter is so I will be matching it) "midpipe-back". Going to see what type of tips they have for selection at the shop, but I'm thinking of a nice set of 4in rounded edge polished tips, cant seem to find any tips that go 3.5in-4out so maybe Ill just have to find something that will work. If anyone has done something similar before feel free to leave your experience, and I will be posting videos and pictures when it is done.

Update: I had the job done. 3inch from mid-pipe area, split y-pipe with 2.5 inch piping. Have 4 inch polish stainless tips on order. Should have them on Friday and will post updated pictures then.
https://youtube.com/shorts/VPj3ta4Z1IA?feature=share
Attached Images

Last edited by blackg20_330i; 05-18-2021 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 3
pneumodoc233.00
VipinLJ1941.50
      05-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #2
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackg20_330i View Post
So, in 2 days I will be going to an exhaust shop in my area to get a custom exhaust fabricated for my car. When I get there I will decide on whether to keep the whole exhaust oval piping or go to round piping. The plan is to cut the stock exhaust somewhere between the downpipe and the resonator so I can keep the factory exhaust intact and revert back to stock when I sell the car. It will be a full 3.5in (at least I think thats what I heard the stock exhaust diameter is so I will be matching it) "midpipe-back". Going to see what type of tips they have for selection at the shop, but I'm thinking of a nice set of 4in rounded edge polished tips, cant seem to find any tips that go 3.5in-4out so maybe Ill just have to find something that will work. If anyone has done something similar before feel free to leave your experience, and I will be posting videos and pictures when it is done.
Cool. I'm thinking of doing something similar. I would like to cut the resonator out and keep the rest stock.

One recommendation, keep the oval piping. It has zero impact on performance and provides better clearance.

I would do an axle-back, but there are literally only two available, and one i'm not to keen on and the other is way to expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
blackg20_330i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Cool. I'm thinking of doing something similar. I would like to cut the resonator out and keep the rest stock.

One recommendation, keep the oval piping. It has zero impact on performance and provides better clearance.

I would do an axle-back, but there are literally only two available, and one i'm not to keen on and the other is way to expensive.
Yep, I wanted to do full exhaust but there is no way I am paying 3k for an armytrix exhaust, its just not worth it. Unfortunately, the shop I am going to does not carry oval piping, just adapters from oval to round. That's okay I am still doing 3.5in all the way. Super excited to get this done and finally make some more noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Got the job done, waiting on some 4in tips to come in now because I didn't like the tip selection they had. Ended up doing 3in back from around midpipe area to a Y-pipe split into 2.5in on each side. Ignore the ugly exhaust tips for now.
Any sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
blackg20_330i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Quote:
Got the job done, waiting on some 4in tips to come in now because I didn't like the tip selection they had. Ended up doing 3in back from around midpipe area to a Y-pipe split into 2.5in on each side. Ignore the ugly exhaust tips for now.
Any sound clips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Quote:
Any sound clips?
Check updated OP
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 06:24 AM   #6
egor.bruilo1
Belarus
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50