Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Apple Car Play issues

05-18-2021, 01:28 AM   #1
lonny340i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Apple Car Play issues

Is anyone else experiencing Apple Carplay issues? When I am in my car and I press the media button in the center console, it always takes me to carplay and specifically to the music icon. Today when I was driving, I tried clicking on the music icon in apple carplay and it kind of just glitched and now everytime I click on the music icon of apple carplay it doesn't seem to fully open the music and the screen sort of panics and stops the music.

I already reset the iDrive system, reset my phone and made sure software was up to date, and I disconnected from carplay and then reconnected and nothing seems to able to fix the problem.

UPDATE: Drove my car this morning, problem is gone and the media button now directs me straight to my music/whats actively playing! I guess last night it was just a glitch or Apple's new ios update needed to fully settle before I used it. If you have this problem I suggest you wait it out. If it persist, contact BMW and Apple. Good luck !

Last edited by lonny340i; 05-19-2021 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: UPDATE
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 05:57 AM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Yes! Came here to look for this issue. It just started this morning. I did the same steps as you (reset iDrive..even the double cycle reset!, forgot BMW BT and WiFi, and did the same on the phone with reset and forgetting). I might try to do a DFU restore on the phone to see if it’s an Apple issue or a BMW issue. I recently was upgraded to 03/2021 at the dealership, so hopefully this isn’t the cause.

The only work around is to select the music on your phone and hit play. Make sure you don’t hit the media button near the iDrive wheel or stay in CarPlay on screen (I was either on the BMW Home Screen or maps). Use the HUD/Instrument Cluster Media control to change songs/volume. Such a pain in the ass!
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
MEX521
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonny340i View Post
Is anyone else experiencing Apple Carplay issues? When I am in my car and I press the media button in the center console, it always takes me to carplay and specifically to the music icon. Today when I was driving, I tried clicking on the music icon in apple carplay and it kind of just glitched and now everytime I click on the music icon of apple carplay it doesn't seem to fully open the music and the screen sort of panics and stops the music.

I already reset the iDrive system, reset my phone and made sure software was up to date, and I disconnected from carplay and then reconnected and nothing seems to able to fix the problem.
I had multiple issues happening in my car with regard to CarPlay, presets and Sirius radio. I used my coder to check RAM info, it showed a Red X. Took the car to dealership and after 3 days they determined that the RAM module was defective. Replacement fixed all my issues and everything now works seamlessly. Hope this helps 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #4
Mermaid!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

I've had issues too. It won't read my texts back to me after I dictate them, it has weird long pauses that weren't there before the last phone update. It won't play songs I ask for. I turned off CarPlay for a bit from my phone and it worked better when I turned it back on but not for long. I have a new Ford Bronco and CarPlay works fine with it. I think it's a BMW/Apple thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I think it's a BMW (or wireless CarPlay) thing. I have some of the same issues you all do, as well as it being very laggy at times. I didn't have any of this is my previous car, which used wired CarPlay. so it's either that of a recent iOS update messed something up, but I think it's the former.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 12:23 PM   #6
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82

I am having the same issue. A quick google search showed its an issue with apple. It looks like it is affecting ALL carplay users.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/w...ch-161378.html
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #7
minakoto00
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive Luxury Line

Garage List
Same here. And I finally found a good excuse to switch to Spotify from Apple Music. Spotify was working flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 05:28 PM   #8
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Started happening with me this morning too. The fact that this an Apple rather than a BMW issue gives me hope that it will be resolved soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #9
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
Started happening with me this morning too. The fact that this an Apple rather than a BMW issue gives me hope that it will be resolved soon.
iOS 14.6 was released to developers as a release candidate earlier in the week, so should be out to everyone here in a week or two. I didn't see any CarPlay fixes on the change log, but doesn't mean they aren't in there. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82

Mine started working normally again a couple hours later..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:18 PM   #11
CIL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2021

Try this

Iphone: settings/general/carplay/BMW#####/customize
- remove Spotify & Stations
- I recommend sliding phone & waze up to top of the “include” section.

Now when you play Spotify it’s native on the car and isnt fighting with your phone to handshake a connection. Carplay is for calls and Waze and messages. All else is iDrive.

I also suggest programming at least one button to open Carplay. As others have noted, exiting once open is a bit goofy. Hitting map button usually works to get iDrive running again.

Hope that works
Appreciate 0