Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Digital key coming to iPhone this Fall?

03-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Digital key coming to iPhone this Fall?

https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/23/ios-14-bmw-carkey/

Guess we won't t see it in todays iOS 13.4 update but iOS 14 this Fall.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
ubchariot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/23/ios-14-bmw-carkey/

Guess we won't t see it in todays iOS 13.4 update but iOS 14 this Fall.
I guess it would require an update of your idrive system as well. Hope BMW will release a big update to include this and android auto this year.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubchariot View Post
I guess it would require an update of your idrive system as well. Hope BMW will release a big update to include this and android auto this year.
Why would it require an update? If it already works with Android and with the digital keycard, why would an iPhone be different?

Assuming, of course, Apple doesn't decide to "think different".
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:23 AM   #4
ubchariot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Why would it require an update? If it already works with Android and with the digital keycard, why would an iPhone be different?
For security reason, I don't think the car should allow any device other Samsung phone, which is the only brand they currently support, to unlock the car.

Unlike the digital key running on Samsung phone that requiring you to hold your phone next to the door handle to unlock, Apple and BMW want to achieve keyless experience using the new standard. So your iPhone would work just like your BMW key fob. You won't need to hold it next to the door handle to unlock the car.

So I would say there should be an update required for this new feature.

Also, it wouldn't be surprise to me that if BMW choose to give this feature only to upcoming new models 😀
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
For security reason, I don't think the car should allow any device other Samsung phone, which is the only brand they currently support, to unlock the car.

Unlike the digital key running on Samsung phone that requiring you to hold your phone next to the door handle to unlock, Apple and BMW want to achieve keyless experience using the new standard. So your iPhone would work just like your BMW key fob. You won't need to hold it next to the door handle to unlock the car.

Also, it wouldn't be surprise to me that if BMW choose to give this feature only to upcoming new models 😀
We can already unlock our car remotely from the phone using the connected app. I use the app more for remote start (when I'm at work and want to warm the engine before I pack up to go home) but it works great.

I assumed that if they add digital key to iPhone it will use NFC, just like Samsung phones and the key card (put near the handle to lock/unlock). I will be a big fan if they can achieve a key fob like experience with iPhones and not require taking the phone out of your pocket to work. Those with security concerns should be able to opt-out. I keep my vehicle garaged which eliminates most of those types of worries.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post

If BMW cheap out iDrive 7 cars, I will be furious
Appreciate 0