Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i moonroof noise

02-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #23
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
I've had mine into the dealer three times for this issue. No joy. They keep lubing but the noise persists. I find myself avoiding the car which sucks as it wasn't cheap. I'm going to try again at the dealer when it warms up a bit.
I wonder if putting some tape might work. The door seals on the F30 would creak all the time and some 3M tape fixed it.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=door+seal
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #24
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Mine just started acting up as well. After 6 months and 4500 miles.

From past experience, taking it into a dealership for an issue like this tend to make things worse. When the weather is nice, I tilt the sunroof and the noise goes away, when its bad out there, that's when the Harmon Kardon shines
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #25
Booster
Pave The Rainforest
Rep
Drives: Wagon

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Bulletin
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #26
oln08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2

You really have to be persistent when it comes to the dealership repairs.
Recently, turned in my car for:
a. sunroof not flushed with the roof and still tilted up when closed - SA said normal with new G20.
b. need to reactivate my digital key - SA said i need to pay $175 to reprogram.
c. driver's door rattle like crazy - no stupid comments on this one.

So both A and B got fixed anyway because I insisted he is wrong and i was right. Sometimes you get these SA that really don't know what they're doing.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #27
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster View Post
Bulletin
Can't we just do this ourselves?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #28
Boro74
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i M Sport

I was getting noise from the sunroof area too. Sounded a bit like clicking the button on the end of a pen. Eventually figured out that I could recreate the noise by pressing on the headliner just behind the sunroof. I rolled the shade forward a few inches and slid my fingers under the shade (towards the back of the car) and could feel the four headliner clips that run across that stretch. Touching any of them caused the click, and one of them wasn't pushed in all the way. Took it to the dealer and showed the SA exactly how to recreate the noise, but they tried to pin it on the bulletin Booster posted. Plus, they wanted to keep the car for two weeks until the grease arrived. One giant tantrum later, needed to get the foreman and sales guy involved, they finally agreed with me, but said they'd need to drop the headliner to check out the clips. Reluctantly agreed, but it went fine. The foreman did it himself. He said all four clips were defective, and swapped them all out. Problem solved.

In general the car is pretty creaky. This is my first BMW since my 2011 335i. I had three 3-series' before they dropped manuals (this is me trying to get with the times!), and none of them had a single annoying squeak or creak.

There seems to be noise coming from both B pillars, and occasionally the dash. Cleaning and treating the seals helped with the passenger side, but I still get some from the drivers side. Hoping a change in humidity will help when spring gets here. On the dash noise, I discovered yesterday that the supply line for the windshield washer fluid wasn't clipped in. Hopefully that fixes that one.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 05:49 AM   #29
Simsimma7
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i XDrive

Garage List
So I just had my 10K oil change yesterday. They were very helpful. This what they did in response to my complaints:

Lubricated the moonroof guide rails: this solved the clicking noise so far (drove 40 miles).

Put felt tape in the center speaker to prevent vibrating sound - This did not fix the problem so I think I’ll try to fix it myself.

Moonroof screen would retract halfway when trying g to close it all the way - software initialization fixes this.

They also used an anti-cavity spray in the front axle cause the “factory anti-corrosion spray may have been defective.”

Software was upgraded to the 11/2019 version which has minor changes in the graphics on the HUD and dash. Also supposedly fixes the rear view camera glitch (recalled).

I also hear the rattling noise from the passenger door sometimes..I wonder if it’s coming from loose cables inside the door panel.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:15 AM   #30
chunll2001
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, M3 ZCP, M3 CS

Garage List
2021 BMW G80   [0.00]
2018 F80 ZCP  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
I get noises from my sunroof area when it's really cold. I found that on warm days or even when the interior is warm the sunroof doesn't have any noise at all.

The noise is very loud and noticeable on a a day like below 35°F when the car is moving. Though after turning the heater on and the interior getting warm then the noise disappears.

I feel like it has something to do with the glass and the temperature, specifically in cold temperature.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #31
chunll2001
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, M3 ZCP, M3 CS

Garage List
2021 BMW G80   [0.00]
2018 F80 ZCP  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsimma7 View Post
So I just had my 10K oil change yesterday. They were very helpful. This what they did in response to my complaints:

Lubricated the moonroof guide rails: this solved the clicking noise so far (drove 40 miles).

Put felt tape in the center speaker to prevent vibrating sound - This did not fix the problem so I think I’ll try to fix it myself.

Moonroof screen would retract halfway when trying g to close it all the way - software initialization fixes this.

They also used an anti-cavity spray in the front axle cause the “factory anti-corrosion spray may have been defective.”

Software was upgraded to the 11/2019 version which has minor changes in the graphics on the HUD and dash. Also supposedly fixes the rear view camera glitch (recalled).

I also hear the rattling noise from the passenger door sometimes..I wonder if it’s coming from loose cables inside the door panel.
Could it be the noise from the passenger door area be the seatbelt? I found out that when the seatbelt is left a certain way it can leave it rattling noise. If you fix it and lay it flat on its side ( against the b pillar ) the noise disappears.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #32
Chappati21
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M340ix Touring (G21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
I have 2 different noises - a rattle which goes away when the moonroof is tilted up and a creaking sound which does not.
Both go away with the roof fully open.
The creaking happens only when the car flexes on major depressions in the road, while the rattle is almost constant even on very minor imperfections.
Had the same issue, seems like there was a note issued by BMW for this.
Just take it to the dealership, they'll cleaned the sunroof seal and apply grease on it.
So far no more noise.
Appreciate 1
RedKloud736.00
      06-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #33
retart13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive

Just to clarify how annoying this sound is, I took a video of it. I brought it into the dealership when it randomly was fine. 95% of the time it is present.

https://youtu.be/bU1VJjH228c
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:10 AM   #34
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I have Shin Etsu grease. I wonder if that will work?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:36 AM   #35
Bigface
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 e40

I had a similar rattle noise coming from the sunroof on my m340 a month ago. It goes away when the sunroof is open or tilt. I took it to dealer, they reinstalled the glass fixed the issue
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #36
retart13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by libosun View Post
I had a similar rattle noise coming from the sunroof on my m340 a month ago. It goes away when the sunroof is open or tilt. I took it to dealer, they reinstalled the glass fixed the issue
Did they automatically change the glass or did you have to persistently bother them about it? I brought mine in and they just suggest greasing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #37
Bigface
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retart13 View Post
Quote:
Did they automatically change the glass or did you have to persistently bother them about it? I brought mine in and they just suggest greasing it.
They picked up the noise right away and fixed it immediately. I read the report says they reinstalled the glass.

But I had another rattle noise coming from the trunk which they were not able to replicate.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #38
TLOLX
Portugal
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
Test drove a 330e last week and it creaked constantly as well. Only with the shade open though (roof itself was closed). And not noticeable with the radio on. Couldn't reproduce by pressing on the headliner when standing still. Could be a part close to it like the dome. But still though.
Exactly the same here, 330e 6 months. The only difference is that mine cracks all the time, independently from the shade or roof itself, but at the beginning only was noticeable with the shade open... it is insanely annoying. I am afraid to send the car to the dealer and receive it even worse.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #39
Bigface
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by retart13 View Post
Quote:
They picked up the noise right away and fixed it immediately. I read the report says they reinstalled the glass.

But I had another rattle noise coming from the trunk which they were not able to replicate.
2 months updates: the sunroof rattle sound is back and it sounds exactly the same as before. Will leave it till next dealer service!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #40
CyberYYZ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
2 months updates: the sunroof rattle sound is back and it sounds exactly the same as before. Will leave it till next dealer service!
Curious if you could provide an update on your rattle?

Ps I have a M235i gran coupe and I too suffer from roof or sunroof rattle or creek. 2 visits to the dealer where they applied “carbaflow” and said it may be something I need to live with considering how big the sunroof is. I disagree as the car was fine for 6 months and then it started.

Ps there loaner (228 gran coupe) no rattle or creeks

Any BMW tech’s online who can share their thoughts or expertise would be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #41
Long Driver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 M340xi

Sunroof creaking/squeaks

I had the same issue on my 540i when pulling out of the driveway on cold days. Kinda creaked. Took to dealer who said the seals needed replacing. Worked for about a 2 years and just started doing it again as the mornings get colder.

Lease ends in December so a new M340xi replaces it. Hopefully, BMW has had enough complaints to fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #42
Bigface
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberYYZ View Post
Quote:
Curious if you could provide an update on your rattle?

Ps I have a M235i gran coupe and I too suffer from roof or sunroof rattle or creek. 2 visits to the dealer where they applied “carbaflow” and said it may be something I need to live with considering how big the sunroof is. I disagree as the car was fine for 6 months and then it started.

Ps there loaner (228 gran coupe) no rattle or creeks

Any BMW tech’s online who can share their thoughts or expertise would be much appreciated
I just leave it there. Don't drive too much in this pandemic. Will ask dealer fix it again in the next service
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:20 AM   #43
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunll2001 View Post
I get noises from my sunroof area when it's really cold. I found that on warm days or even when the interior is warm the sunroof doesn't have any noise at all.

The noise is very loud and noticeable on a a day like below 35°F when the car is moving. Though after turning the heater on and the interior getting warm then the noise disappears.

I feel like it has something to do with the glass and the temperature, specifically in cold temperature.
My U.K.-spec M340i is the same. We’ve had a recent week of cold (snowy) weather in south eastern England and my sunroof was creaking a lot. If I opened the roof, the noise would disappear. However, as the temperature of the interior warms up, the noise does seem to diminish and then peter out.

I will mention it to my local BMW dealer...

Last edited by NthKent; 02-17-2021 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #44
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

I wish we had the ability to order the car without a sunroof, period. I did that with my e46 M3 many years ago and loved it. Very rare for one thing but also reduced weight. I almost never open my sunroof.
Appreciate 0