Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Keep Carplay but not Phone / Text integration?

02-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Keep Carplay but not Phone / Text integration?

Is there a way to keep Carplay but disable it from picking up inbound calls and texts? I might want Waze and Spotify running, but not interrupted by calls nor have who is calling displayed on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
mrkrad
Old Geezer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i PB MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Is there a way to keep Carplay but disable it from picking up inbound calls and texts? I might want Waze and Spotify running, but not interrupted by calls nor have who is calling displayed on the vehicle.
Could turn on dnd while driving on iPhone!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrad View Post
Could turn on dnd while driving on iPhone!
Yes but I do want to be disturbed -- I just prefer the notification to be a discreet ding or vibration on the phone which is safely in my pocket.

Some of you married guys may not fully relate to this one, but if you've got an active dating lifestyle, letting one date see the inbound call of another (much less beat you to the "accept" button) is SOOO asking for your bimmers paintjob to get keyed!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #4
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:

Some of you married guys may not fully relate to this one, but if you've got an active dating lifestyle
Actually, it's way worse for us married guys when the girlfriend rings and the wife sees the Caller ID.
Appreciate 2
Hysnbrg191.00
      02-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Actually, it's way worse for us married guys when the girlfriend rings and the wife sees the Caller ID.
Alimony > keyed paint for sure.

Is what I want to do impossible? And if so, I wonder what the chances are of BMW integrating a Waze app like Spotify. The BMW Spotify app feels tighter than Carplay anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #6
mrkrad
Old Geezer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i PB MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Quote:

Some of you married guys may not fully relate to this one, but if you've got an active dating lifestyle
I think the privacy level of the idrive 7 might be accommodating but not in CarPlay mode
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #7
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrad View Post
I think the privacy level of the idrive 7 might be accommodating but not in CarPlay mode
I didn't realize it when you first suggested Do Not Disturb mode, but iOS has some more specific settings that I didn't realize it had, since this is the first vehicle I've owned with Carplay.

Under the Do Not Disturb While Driving, tapping the Activate option reveals an option to "Activate with Carplay".

This isn't exactly what I wanted, but should be good enough of a workaround to keep me out of trouble. Thanks for helping me look in that direction!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #8
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just thought I'd update the thread. The unfortunate side effect of using do not disturb mode with car play is that you have to cancel it to have any access to your phone, so it was not designed for my particular needs.

Very frustrating. Also as I was trying to use voice to switch between Carplay and iDrive, it brought up a list of recent inbound numbers and called one of them back, and stayed connected to that number (spam robo caller, no less). The phone button on the wheel did not terminate the call, so to avoid getting in an accident I just powered off my phone.

Sad. It should not be this hard to tell the car "give me car play but don't give me phone or text integration".
Appreciate 0