Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Extra driving assistance features on cars with only Driving Assistant?

04-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #1
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Extra driving assistance features on cars with only Driving Assistant?

This might be a silly question, so I apologize if so, but I was wondering if there are extra driving assistance features that can be enabled or would work on cars that didn't (or in my case couldn't) get Drivers Assistance Pro.

I have:
  • 5AL - Active Protection
  • 5AS - Driving Assistant
  • 5AV - Active Guard
  • 5AZ - Laser Light (so I do have auto high beams)

My car is able to keep itself in a lane if I let it drift out so I assume it has some base capability to understand lane lines and obviously it has sensors for front collision, etc.

So the question is, are things like Traffic Light Assistance, Lane Change Assist, etc available to be coded on cars that don't have 5AU or Driving Assistance Pro, or no?
      04-08-2022, 08:49 AM   #2
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

I'm pretty sure that the hardware is different with DAPro which is 5AU
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 09:04 AM   #3
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
I'm pretty sure that the hardware is different with DAPro which is 5AU
I know it is, I'm just curious if there is more that can be enabled with the hardware we do have
      04-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #4
Radhaz75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i xDrive

I'm in the same boat as you. In looking into it, one big difference I've noticed is a beefier KAFAS camera that comes with the DAP package. I believe that one has 2 cameras in it vs mine which only has one.

I have looked around and would like to enable traffic light recognition and even the lane assist displays if possible, but it seems like you really need the extra hardware. I think a lot of it requires the SAS module that comes with DAP which is what really powers those features.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #5
panki_86
Private First Class
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radhaz75 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. In looking into it, one big difference I've noticed is a beefier KAFAS camera that comes with the DAP package. I believe that one has 2 cameras in it vs mine which only has one.

I have looked around and would like to enable traffic light recognition and even the lane assist displays if possible, but it seems like you really need the extra hardware. I think a lot of it requires the SAS module that comes with DAP which is what really powers those features.
Mine G20 with DAP have 3 cameras.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 04:25 PM   #6
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by panki_86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radhaz75 View Post

Mine G20 with DAP have 3 cameras.
I believe extra hardware is required for these features.

If only coding can activate the features, BMW will not delete the options for specific models not to make money.
Appreciate 0