Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB+ on G20 First Impressions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
g20beam
Enlisted Member
Canada
26
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

JB+ on G20 First Impressions

So I just installed a JB+ on my G20 330i yesterday and I've been driving it around local for a bit and my initial impressions are great. I feel that the smoothness has been much more refined, and the gears definitely feel like they pull smoother, mostly in the low rpm ranges. I did a few 20km/h to 100-110km/h pulls, and those definitely seemed quicker than before. I hope it's not a placebo, so I'll be testing it for the next few days and post again on it. I don't really know exactly how much HP/TQ I gained from this, but I feel like this little boost tuner made the car's throttle response what it should've been coming from factory.

I did not move the PSI dial beyond BMS factory settings.
Appreciate 3
      07-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
g20beam
Enlisted Member
Canada
26
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I did the math and with the G20 B48 at around

260HP & 295lb-ft TQ

the JB+ in theory should've made the power reach somewhere around

~290-300HP & ~340lb-ft TQ
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
3ismagic#
Private First Class
3ismagic#'s Avatar
49
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Centrally Isolated

iTrader: (0)

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
g20beam
Enlisted Member
Canada
26
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Okay hereís my update.

I have driven around with the JB+ for 4 days now and there is definitely a very noticeable difference in power. I was racing a 370z yesterday and I have HD dashcam footage I can post but I managed to keep up with it and close the gap while I was tailing him. It was too wet out so I was a little nervous to push it faster than I already did, but hopefully I can do it with another car in the future. The lower and mid level RPM ranges, approximately between 1K-4K RPM you definitely feel a lot more boost.

I used to drive with the manual mode a lot before the JB+ because the car would get really jerky in low gear + low rpm so I would try to get the vehicle to accelerate smoother instead of getting the jerk when in automatic + sport mode. After the JB+, the jerkiness problem went away. The power delivery is so much smoother now, I kind of wonder why they didnít come like this from factory. It is so much more effortless to get to 80-100kmh range with the JB+, compared to stock when you would really have to floor it to get to that speed.

Other things I have noticed is that the brake pedal is more sensitive now than it used to be, and I feel more confident when going close to full throttle and slowing down after. Throttle response definitely has improved. The only one thing I noticed that freaked me out was a sudden push forward when I was pulling in manual gear and was in 2nd gear. It hasnít happened again but it happened once and I donít know what it was.

Thatís about it, I will get a link of the dashcam footage up if anyone is interested in seeing this 370z
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #5
ballisma
Private
23
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: G20 330i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Okay hereís my update.

I have driven around with the JB+ for 4 days now and there is definitely a very noticeable difference in power. I was racing a 370z yesterday and I have HD dashcam footage I can post but I managed to keep up with it and close the gap while I was tailing him. It was too wet out so I was a little nervous to push it faster than I already did, but hopefully I can do it with another car in the future. The lower and mid level RPM ranges, approximately between 1K-4K RPM you definitely feel a lot more boost.

I used to drive with the manual mode a lot before the JB+ because the car would get really jerky in low gear + low rpm so I would try to get the vehicle to accelerate smoother instead of getting the jerk when in automatic + sport mode. After the JB+, the jerkiness problem went away. The power delivery is so much smoother now, I kind of wonder why they didnít come like this from factory. It is so much more effortless to get to 80-100kmh range with the JB+, compared to stock when you would really have to floor it to get to that speed.

Other things I have noticed is that the brake pedal is more sensitive now than it used to be, and I feel more confident when going close to full throttle and slowing down after. Throttle response definitely has improved. The only one thing I noticed that freaked me out was a sudden push forward when I was pulling in manual gear and was in 2nd gear. It hasnít happened again but it happened once and I donít know what it was.

Thatís about it, I will get a link of the dashcam footage up if anyone is interested in seeing this 370z
Yes please!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
g20beam
Enlisted Member
Canada
26
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisma View Post
Yes please!
Unfortunately I lost the footage because my dash cam deleted it overnight

If I have another video while I'm on the JB+ I will share it here.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #7
JSaid
New Member
9
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Can I do this on a lease or will it void warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
g20beam
Enlisted Member
Canada
26
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post
Can I do this on a lease or will it void warranty?
If you do this on a lease, just be sure to remove the JB+ before going in for any services. The JB+ is very easy installation, you just pop the hood, take off the engine cover, and find the boost sensor which is on the front right bottom of the engine, you disconnect the wire and plug the male end into the female end on the JB+, and the male part of the JB+ into the female connector of the engine, and then youíre ready to go. Please take precaution and lock your car after popping the hood and leave the key as far from the car as possible and then wait 4 minutes so the ECU goes to sleep before disconnecting the boost sensor and installing the JB+. When you go in for service, just take off the JB+ and youíre good to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #9
JSaid
New Member
9
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
If you do this on a lease, just be sure to remove the JB+ before going in for any services. The JB+ is very easy installation, you just pop the hood, take off the engine cover, and find the boost sensor which is on the front right bottom of the engine, you disconnect the wire and plug the male end into the female end on the JB+, and the male part of the JB+ into the female connector of the engine, and then youíre ready to go. Please take precaution and lock your car after popping the hood and leave the key as far from the car as possible and then wait 4 minutes so the ECU goes to sleep before disconnecting the boost sensor and installing the JB+. When you go in for service, just take off the JB+ and youíre good to go.
Awesome, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:53 AM   #10
achk
Private
27
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Just ordered one through our local distributor here in Australia. Can't wait to see how it changes thing here downunder.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 02:04 AM   #11
g20beam
Enlisted Member
Canada
26
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Just ordered one through our local distributor here in Australia. Can't wait to see how it changes thing here downunder.
Honestly the best thing you can get for your G20 atm in terms of power gain since it makes the car push ~300hp/~350tq for 200 bucks, you can race a stock 335 and wouldnít break a sweat.. At least until BM3 comes out, this is the best thing imo
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:16 AM   #12
achk
Private
27
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Just ordered one through our local distributor here in Australia. Can't wait to see how it changes thing here downunder.
Honestly the best thing you can get for your G20 atm in terms of power gain since it makes the car push ~300hp/~350tq for 200 bucks, you can race a stock 335 and wouldn’t break a sweat.. At least until BM3 comes out, this is the best thing imo
Did you turn the dial up to max or left it at the default +3psi?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:47 AM   #13
g20beam
Enlisted Member
Canada
26
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Did you turn the dial up to max or left it at the default +3psi?
Okay so very interesting thing, don't know if it has happened to anyone else that bought a JB+. So I finally decided I wanted to turn up the boost but when I opened up the JB+, my dial was already at 3oclock position, meaning it was already at 90-100% boost. Honestly have no idea why it was not at the 12oclock position..

Anyhow, I made sure it was at the 4oclock position for 100% so hereís my verdict: This car will feel very fast now, takes very little effort to climb speeds, and when you full throttle, you can really feel the car pulling much harder and faster than it did before. Itís almost as if itís a different car.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
achk
Private
27
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Did you turn the dial up to max or left it at the default +3psi?
Okay so very interesting thing, don't know if it has happened to anyone else that bought a JB+. So I finally decided I wanted to turn up the boost but when I opened up the JB+, my dial was already at 3oclock position, meaning it was already at 90-100% boost. Honestly have no idea why it was not at the 12oclock position..

Anyhow, I made sure it was at the 4oclock position for 100% so here’s my verdict: This car will feel very fast now, takes very little effort to climb speeds, and when you full throttle, you can really feel the car pulling much harder and faster than it did before. It’s almost as if it’s a different car.
Cool. Mine is being delivered today. Will install over the weekend. Can't wait!! Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:57 AM   #15
achk
Private
27
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Did you turn the dial up to max or left it at the default +3psi?
Okay so very interesting thing, don't know if it has happened to anyone else that bought a JB+. So I finally decided I wanted to turn up the boost but when I opened up the JB+, my dial was already at 3oclock position, meaning it was already at 90-100% boost. Honestly have no idea why it was not at the 12oclock position..

Anyhow, I made sure it was at the 4oclock position for 100% so here's my verdict: This car will feel very fast now, takes very little effort to climb speeds, and when you full throttle, you can really feel the car pulling much harder and faster than it did before. It's almost as if it's a different car.
Cool. Mine is being delivered today. Will install over the weekend. Can't wait!! Cheers.
Installed the JB+ today - very easy, plug and play in less than a minute. I like how one can easily take it off when taking the car to the dealership for services.

Went for a quick drive and can appreciate the improvement in power delivery. It's about a 10-15% improvement but that's enough to transform the car into something quite a bit more fun. The road was a bit damp today and managed to activate the traction control/ESC on a couple of corner exits. Wish I've ordered the m-sport differentials now (didn't think it was necessary on a 4 cylinder car &#128514.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 04:48 AM   #16
Brett240
Private
Brett240's Avatar
17
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: G20 330i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

good to see the JB+ is that noticeable. been mulling over the JB4 and curious on the differences.

M-sport Diff, didnt notice it as a problem stock until i drove in the wet. the car should come with it stock
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 05:01 AM   #17
achk
Private
27
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett240 View Post
good to see the JB+ is that noticeable. been mulling over the JB4 and curious on the differences.

M-sport Diff, didnt notice it as a problem stock until i drove in the wet. the car should come with it stock
Yes I considered the JB4 too but the install/uninstall is a bit more involving. I remember looking at a dyno comparing the two and the difference is not massive. JB4 makes sense if you plan to further modify the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #18
ny176
Lieutenant
ny176's Avatar
United_States
99
Rep
501
Posts

Drives: F30 340xi Msport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (0)

I've had mine for about 2 weeks as well. Definitely worth it especially if you can find one used. Bought mine for $125 on eBay. Like someone said, it's about a 10-15% difference but it's definitely noticeable without a drop in MPG. Still averaging 26.8 on mix city and highway conditions.
__________________
Current:16' F30 340 Alpine WHT MSport
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #19
mzdial
Private First Class
mzdial's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Zionsville, IN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Wow.. $125 for a B48 version. You sir got a deal!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 11:20 PM   #20
chowser51
Captain
chowser51's Avatar
United_States
440
Rep
897
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW F33 430i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
default is +3.5psi so it's almost all maxed out. I finally got around to maxing mine out this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:10 AM   #21
ny176
Lieutenant
ny176's Avatar
United_States
99
Rep
501
Posts

Drives: F30 340xi Msport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
default is +3.5psi so it's almost all maxed out. I finally got around to maxing mine out this weekend.
Any noticeable difference maxed out?
__________________
Current:16' F30 340 Alpine WHT MSport
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #22
chowser51
Captain
chowser51's Avatar
United_States
440
Rep
897
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW F33 430i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
None that I can see. It's been a week and the puppy and I just did another launch control take off in an empty lot. Feels the same. I'm probably just used to it. I already know my next car is going to have a 6 or bigger. I drive a new awd HEMI Charger at work and it has spoiled me.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST