Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Advice on JB4+XHP+DP

12-03-2023, 11:44 PM   #1
drav23
Rep
Drives: 23 m340i

Advice on JB4+XHP+DP

Just recently got into a 23' m340iX, and considering adding some performance gains. The car came with MPE, so I am not sure if I wanna add a dp. But I know dp can help with gains. Is getting all three worth it, seen some threads saying JB4 added little gains for them (I also live in Texas if that makes any difference). Wanted some input on if anyone has done this combo. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 10:16 AM   #2
CarGuy954
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

I am running the AA Downpipe, MST Intake, FTP Chargepipe and XHP Trans tune minus the JB4. I have struggled with going JB4 because of the inconsistenancy I have read on JB4 Tech forums. Ultimately a flash tune is the best way to go but, there can be some power made from JB4 if you have the time to dial it in. This is a recent dyno.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 10:59 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The tune will add the most gains for the money.

If you do not want to go through the hassle of unlocking the DME, the JB4 is your next best option. The gains are undoubtedly worth the price.

The downpipe adds another 20-25 whp when paired with a tune. In my opinion, that's an excellent investment as well.

i would skip the XHP flash tune. I was not a big fan and removed it a week later, but that's a personal preference; many people like it.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 11:57 AM   #4
GOLDPHO3NIX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G22 M440i

Garage List
2021 BMW M440i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
The tune will add the most gains for the money.

If you do not want to go through the hassle of unlocking the DME, the JB4 is your next best option. The gains are undoubtedly worth the price.

The downpipe adds another 20-25 whp when paired with a tune. In my opinion, that's an excellent investment as well.

i would skip the XHP flash tune. I was not a big fan and removed it a week later, but that's a personal preference; many people like it.
I’m in a similiar boat with OP. Dinan intake, inlet, AA downpipe, MAD exhaust. Will a map 1 or 2 tune from JB4 be most “worth” from bolt ons?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 02:39 PM   #5
CarGuy954
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

There are alot of factors that affect what maps benefits you the most and thats not to say how it runs today is how it will run tomorrow. Especially when it comes to heat and fuel quality. From what I read on the JB4 Tech forums, alot of the 93 octane is crap. This is where the fuel/timing from a tune real makes the difference, the JB4 cannot do this. Most of them have to run a mix of E85 to clean up the 93 or an e30 to e50 mix to make any signicant power. JB4 allows you to build power sooner but, will fall off up top compared to a tune. The butt dyno will notice this increase.

Last edited by CarGuy954; 12-04-2023 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #6
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drav23 View Post
Just recently got into a 23' m340iX, and considering adding some performance gains. The car came with MPE, so I am not sure if I wanna add a dp. But I know dp can help with gains. Is getting all three worth it, seen some threads saying JB4 added little gains for them (I also live in Texas if that makes any difference). Wanted some input on if anyone has done this combo. Thank you!
IMO, the only way you should get a jb4, if you get one at all, is through a used marketplace like the classifieds on here or fb marketplace because it is not worth the $700 for a new one at all. My experience with jb4 wasn’t the greatest, very inconsistent to the point where I actually left it off instead cause it barely felt like it did anything at all. I would recommend getting a dp and xhp for starters, great way to add some sound to the car since it’s so damn quiet from stock. From there you can decide if you wanna give the jb4 a try, but I would reccomend just sending the ecu out. It’s a little bit of a hassle and going without the car sucks, but it is easily the best thing I’ve ever done to my car. Worth every penny, makes the car feel so much more raw like a sports car should feel.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 10:40 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnasratyar View Post
IMO, the only way you should get a jb4, if you get one at all, is through a used marketplace like the classifieds on here or fb marketplace because it is not worth the $700 for a new one at all. My experience with jb4 wasn’t the greatest, very inconsistent to the point where I actually left it off instead cause it barely felt like it did anything at all. I would recommend getting a dp and xhp for starters, great way to add some sound to the car since it’s so damn quiet from stock. From there you can decide if you wanna give the jb4 a try, but I would reccomend just sending the ecu out. It’s a little bit of a hassle and going without the car sucks, but it is easily the best thing I’ve ever done to my car. Worth every penny, makes the car feel so much more raw like a sports car should feel.
Don't get the logic here

if it's inconsistent to the point you left it off, then you should not get it new or used

That said, if installed correctly and assuming it's not defective, the JB4 is 100% worth the price. It's a major change in power and keeps stock-like driveability with a ton of extra features.

If you get it used, you risk the chance of buying a water-damaged unit that could cause you major headaches by damaging other parts but more importantly, you lose any warranty, so if you need any help from BMS, you won't be able to get it.

That said if you can stay without your car for a week and don't mind paying ~$2000 for a flash tune, Femto + bootmod3 is the best option

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 03:06 PM   #8
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Don't get the logic here

if it's inconsistent to the point you left it off, then you should not get it new or used

That said, if installed correctly and assuming it's not defective, the JB4 is 100% worth the price. It's a major change in power and keeps stock-like driveability with a ton of extra features.

If you get it used, you risk the chance of buying a water-damaged unit that could cause you major headaches by damaging other parts but more importantly, you lose any warranty, so if you need any help from BMS, you won't be able to get it.

That said if you can stay without your car for a week and don't mind paying ~$2000 for a flash tune, Femto + bootmod3 is the best option
Idk how to put it into words well, but it definitely adds power, but your butt dyno won’t really feel it, or at least mine didn’t. I love you Mike, but I definitely feel like some of your opinions are swayed due to you being a vendor of said item. I’ve talked to at least 50 people who’ve had jb4 and out of those people, only 1 or 2 said they had good experiences with it. Not sure what you meant in the first paragraph, but I think you read my message wrong. I said it’s not worth to get new due to the price to performance. I was saying imo I’d way rather save that $700 and put it towards an unlock and tune. Obviously one is significantly more expensive than the other, but it is for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 03:56 PM   #9
CarGuy954
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well eveyone is entitled to there opinion and to reply to my butt dyno statement. I would appreciate you not undermining my expericence. I can tell you along with any tuner on this forum, that an increase in torque down low is noticeable.This is where JB4 might shine but , it will always struggle as it moves into the higher rpm's. Its limiation to fuel/timing adjustments will negate those gains up top. I do agree 100% on using that money towards a real tune or DME unlock, especially since JB4's resale value is crap. However, thats my opinion and their are many people who have great expericences with JB4.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 04:36 PM   #10
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M440i G26

IMO, JB4 doesn’t truly shine until you mix with e85. If you have access to that and you really don’t want to send your ECU out then yea it’s worth it. I was honestly disappointed with my dyno numbers running JB4 with E30 on a custom map 6 that I ended up sending my DME out.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 12:03 PM   #11
escoeg
Rep
Drives: m3

I have a 23 M340i xDrive with JB4, AMS downpipes, and XHP. This marks my fourth car with a JB4, two of which were used, and two purchased brand new. The only issue I've ever encountered was when I bought it from the marketplace. In my personal opinion, the butt dyno could feel the difference in every map. One of the things I love is having the ability to reach out directly to Terry after making a few runs and having him tweak my settings. I run and e85 blend and drive around daily in map 3 and when its “go go time” I use the map 6 from Terry. I life in DFW so typically in the summer months Ill drop down a map.

Then came the DP… You can feel the power and when I put it in sport + it sounds like a totally completely different car. I contemplated going c**less but decided against it to avoid dealing with the CEL. The addition of XHP set to stage 2 has truly transformed the entire driving experience in the 200 miles since I installed it.

While I haven't conducted a 0-60 test with the XHP installed yet, I plan to find some time sooner rather than later and will share the results once I do.
Last tidbit, I learned a long time ago to not take advice from people who haven’t actually experienced what they are advising you on. While they typically have the best intentions, they lack probably the most important ingredient, experience.
Appreciate 1
drav233.00
      12-10-2023, 12:58 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic94 View Post
IMO, JB4 doesn’t truly shine until you mix with e85. If you have access to that and you really don’t want to send your ECU out then yea it’s worth it. I was honestly disappointed with my dyno numbers running JB4 with E30 on a custom map 6 that I ended up sending my DME out.
The JB4 is excellent for daily driving, in my opinion, it transforms the car power and delivery for a relatively easy and cheap process.

For the maximum benefits unlocking the DME and getting bootmod3 is the way to go.

I sent out my DME last week, and got it back in 5 business days. The process was a lot easier than i thought. I wish i had done it years ago.

Appreciate 1
drav233.00
      12-11-2023, 07:49 PM   #13
drav23
Rep
Drives: 23 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by escoeg View Post
I have a 23 M340i xDrive with JB4, AMS downpipes, and XHP. This marks my fourth car with a JB4, two of which were used, and two purchased brand new. The only issue I've ever encountered was when I bought it from the marketplace. In my personal opinion, the butt dyno could feel the difference in every map. One of the things I love is having the ability to reach out directly to Terry after making a few runs and having him tweak my settings. I run and e85 blend and drive around daily in map 3 and when its “go go time” I use the map 6 from Terry. I life in DFW so typically in the summer months Ill drop down a map.

Then came the DP… You can feel the power and when I put it in sport + it sounds like a totally completely different car. I contemplated going c**less but decided against it to avoid dealing with the CEL. The addition of XHP set to stage 2 has truly transformed the entire driving experience in the 200 miles since I installed it.

While I haven't conducted a 0-60 test with the XHP installed yet, I plan to find some time sooner rather than later and will share the results once I do.
Last tidbit, I learned a long time ago to not take advice from people who haven’t actually experienced what they are advising you on. While they typically have the best intentions, they lack probably the most important ingredient, experience.
Thanks for the input! I am down in houston so I experience similar weather, be sure to upload the results of your tests back here I would love to see the numbers you are putting up.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 12:27 PM   #14
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i X 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drav23 View Post
Thanks for the input! I am down in houston so I experience similar weather, be sure to upload the results of your tests back here I would love to see the numbers you are putting up.
If you need, I have a JB4 device that I took off my car as I’m going the flash tune route I’m willing to sell if you want. PM me
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 07:19 AM   #15
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340 Xdrive, 2023 M3CX

JB4 was very inconsistent for me. I know a lot of people love it, but it wasn't for me. I have never been a fan of piggyback tunes and I wish I had the DME unlocked to begin with. The car I feel never ran smoothly, but when it did, you could definitely feel a power improvement. JB4 is not worth it IMO unless you can get a very good deal on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 04:12 AM   #16
escoeg
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG8X View Post
JB4 was very inconsistent for me. I know a lot of people love it, but it wasn't for me. I have never been a fan of piggyback tunes and I wish I had the DME unlocked to begin with. The car I feel never ran smoothly, but when it did, you could definitely feel a power improvement. JB4 is not worth it IMO unless you can get a very good deal on it.
Question, did you buy brand new or was it previously owned?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 06:44 AM   #17
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by escoeg View Post
Question, did you buy brand new or was it previously owned?
Brand new.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:48 PM   #18
mm340i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG8X View Post
Brand new.
What fuel and map were you running on?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 04:24 PM   #19
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm340i View Post
What fuel and map were you running on?
Map 2 primarily and has 2 custom maps made for map 6.
Appreciate 1
mm340i28.50
      12-20-2023, 06:39 PM   #20
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnasratyar View Post
Idk how to put it into words well, but it definitely adds power, but your butt dyno won’t really feel it, or at least mine didn’t. I love you Mike, but I definitely feel like some of your opinions are swayed due to you being a vendor of said item. I’ve talked to at least 50 people who’ve had jb4 and out of those people, only 1 or 2 said they had good experiences with it. Not sure what you meant in the first paragraph, but I think you read my message wrong. I said it’s not worth to get new due to the price to performance. I was saying imo I’d way rather save that $700 and put it towards an unlock and tune. Obviously one is significantly more expensive than the other, but it is for a reason.
I think most of this is caused by the sh!t California 91 octane we have here. JB4 just cranks the boost, not much different than a JB+.

Given how bad the fuel is, you get some more punch on the low RPM range but the DME takes over as the JB4 is unable to keep boost up due to the fuel quality at higher loads. I think those with better 91 octane or 93 in some states will not get this issue.

With BM3, you need to run a ACN91 tune otherwise the car runs like crap and pulls timing/boost. Even stock tune will even pull power on California 91 with knocking if you log it.
      12-25-2023, 08:25 PM   #21
Soslomode
Rep
Drives: M340i

2023 M340i xdrive. Burger intake, jb4, xhp. Car feels worlds faster than stock. Admittedly an unlock and tune would yield better performance I'm just reluctant to send my DME out for the unlock. JB4 without the xhp was hit or miss. Frequently ran into the torque limits and boost would fall off aggressively. Absolutely love the XHP, I'm running the most aggressive map with some custom tweaking. Thinking about ordering the Mad catted DP but leery about having to deal with the CEL. Does the CEL really disable the remote start? I'm in South Florida, it gets really toasty here in the summers, I need the remote start to cool the car off. All in all its almost as fast as my F80 FBO was, and for a non M car that's a pretty incredible feat, these B58s are no joke.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 07:13 AM   #22
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i X 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soslomode View Post
2023 M340i xdrive. Burger intake, jb4, xhp. Car feels worlds faster than stock. Admittedly an unlock and tune would yield better performance I'm just reluctant to send my DME out for the unlock. JB4 without the xhp was hit or miss. Frequently ran into the torque limits and boost would fall off aggressively. Absolutely love the XHP, I'm running the most aggressive map with some custom tweaking. Thinking about ordering the Mad catted DP but leery about having to deal with the CEL. Does the CEL really disable the remote start? I'm in South Florida, it gets really toasty here in the summers, I need the remote start to cool the car off. All in all its almost as fast as my F80 FBO was, and for a non M car that's a pretty incredible feat, these B58s are no joke.
I bought an XHP license aswell. When you flashed it, did you like baby it for a little so the transmission got adjusted or did you just go balls to the wall.
Appreciate 0