Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) i4, i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum I hope the i4 can compete with Tesla and Polestar

11-14-2020, 09:37 PM   #111
uuni
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...pe-by-purpose/

This is why it is not that important to have a super good charger network. On average peeps don't drive long distances and home charging takes care of that. Those who drive long distances regularly should avoid EV's OR accept the fact that charging network is still at its infancy.

In future long distance will not be any problem.
AW, Coral red, Piano Black,Aero lip, M-sport (except front), M6 reps, M3 lip, interior "xenon" kit, Aluminium Pedals,H&R swaybars, KW V2, Quiafe LSD, OEM Strut Brace, BMS DCI, DIY Air Scoops i-tech BT handsfree,Braille battery (-20kg), Supersprint/Borla exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #112
ZCD1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuni View Post
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...pe-by-purpose/

This is why it is not that important to have a super good charger network....In future long distance will not be any problem.
That's an interesting perspective, and it probably is somewhat valid in Finland and for non-Tesla EVs.

In the US, the Supercharger network allows Teslas to travel across the vast majority of the country with no problems.

The lack of a unified/reliable charging network (especially when combined with shorter driving range) has definitely limited the success of other manufacturers' EV offerings here, IMHO...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #113
VetteGuy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
That's an interesting perspective, and it probably is somewhat valid in Finland and for non-Tesla EVs.

In the US, the Supercharger network allows Teslas to travel across the vast majority of the country with no problems.

The lack of a unified/reliable charging network (especially when combined with shorter driving range) has definitely limited the success of other manufacturers' EV offerings here, IMHO...
Not even close to the “vast majority of the country.” More in California, the I-95 corridor, and number of the largest metro areas, but only about 2,000 total locations nationwide.

The EV industry, including Tesla, is still in its m but most likely to explode this decade.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #114
ZCD1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
Not even close to the “vast majority of the country.”...
The vast majority of the country, like I said:

Appreciate 1
///M TOWN3676.00

11-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #115
VetteGuy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Its a growing coverage but it is hardly the “vast majority” of the country, with only 2,000 locations in 3.8 million square miles with 47,000 miles of interstate highway. And a lot of those are at the Tesla service centers.

The winner will be the charging vendor that partners with McDonalds or Starbucks to put a charging station at every interstate exit ramp.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #116
ZCD1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Its a growing coverage but it is hardly the “vast majority” of the country, with only 2,000 locations in 3.8 million square miles with 47,000 miles of interstate highway. And a lot of those are at the Tesla service centers.

The winner will be the charging vendor that partners with McDonalds or Starbucks to put a charging station at every interstate exit ramp.
I really don't want to argue, but I was interested to see how you would try to spin a map that clearly shows that the majority of the country can be seen via Tesla and Superchargers.

Suggesting that every highway exit should have charging available is a different discussion altogether, and isn't a statement I'd dispute. Charging locations will be as ubiquitous as gas stations, eventually.

There are a few (sparsely populated) areas of the country that can't be visited using Supercharging, as the map shows. The map also clearly shows that the majority of the country can be visited with Tesla Supercharging, which was my point.

As for co-locating charging with other services and/or locations, that's already happening, with many Meijer stores now including Superchargers, and Electrify America putting locations in WalMart parking lots. The other Superchargers I've visited have been adjacent to restaurants and other retail businesses - quite convenient all the way around.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #117
VetteGuy
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don’t mean to argue either, I’m just saying this is early in the game, even for Tesla. With more marques bringing EV to market, hopefully we end up with a broad network of charging stations to suit everyone’s needs.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #118
///M TOWN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Quote:
I don't mean to argue either, I'm just saying this is early in the game, even for Tesla. With more marques bringing EV to market, hopefully we end up with a broad network of charging stations to suit everyone's needs.
No manufacture with an exception of Tesla has gone out of their way to build out a charging network

Once that actually happens then maybe we'll have something solid to look forward to

In the meantime Tesla has every other manufacturer looking really stupid
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 11:50 PM   #119
uuni
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Free market will take care charging, once there is enough cars/intrest for it.

Also, will legislation make all compatible in future, i think so.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:18 AM   #120
///M TOWN
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuni View Post
Free market will take care charging, once there is enough cars/intrest for it.

Also, will legislation make all compatible in future, i think so.
Legislation? Now that's funny

There are clearly two standards moving forward

Tesla Superchargers and third party CCS Combo Chargers

Currently the amount of CCS Chargers is pathetic compared to Tesla's network
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #121
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

Why is it funny?
Works well in Europe. Teslas (M3 at least) comes equiped for CCS charging and Tesla SC’s are equipped with CCS connectors.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 05:04 PM   #122
///M TOWN
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

Why is it funny?
Works well in Europe. Teslas (M3 at least) comes equiped for CCS charging and Tesla SC's are equipped with CCS connectors.
Clearly there is some shortage of charging stations in Europe and abroad

Legislation won't do much to grow the charging networks - that's almost entirely up to the Manufacturers

IMO they're all extremely lame with an exception of Tesla when it comes to investing in the much needed Infrastructure
Appreciate 0