Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Do G80 M3/M4 mirror caps fit G20/21?

11-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #1
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Do G80 M3/M4 mirror caps fit G20/21?

Anyone looked at or know if the mirror caps fitted to the G80 M3/M4 might fit the G20 mirrors.

On the available images the mirrors look as they have the same base structure?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
JM13RS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 Touring

Garage List
Hi there,

Not sure if these are the same.. but heres the carbon mirrors on mine.. with the lovely M fin...

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM13RS View Post
Hi there,

Not sure if these are the same.. but heres the carbon mirrors on mine.. with the lovely M fin...

Lovely car - mirrors look class.

I'd be wary of your plate though - apparently ANPR vans are now taking photos of illegally spaced plates and just sending fines out.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Quote:
Hi there,

I'd be wary of your plate though - apparently ANPR vans are now taking photos of illegally spaced plates and just sending fines out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Quote:
Hi there,

[img]https://i.ibb.co/L00bk5j/633-CC2-EA-...9-B4-BCBEC.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/GWWWgxL/IMG-1054.jpg[/img]

I know two people that have been done recently. Ones had an order put on his car as it wasn't the first or second time he's been caught. Happens again ( or breaks any other law) in the next 12 months, car gets taken.

It's not worth it for the sake of a funny spaced plate
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
I know two people that have been done recently. Ones had an order put on his car as it wasn't the first or second time he's been caught. Happens again ( or breaks any other law) in the next 12 months, car gets taken.

is it the car that gets taken or the right to use the plate?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

is it the car that gets taken or the right to use the plate?
The car
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #7
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Hi there,

Looks well. Are these OEM caps? They are similiar but not the same.

Did you fit these yourself, any issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The car
I always understood that if you mis-spaced or misrepresented a plate then the you could be pulled and get a fine of up to £1k. You would then be required to correctly space the plate and your details added to a DVLA database. If you were a persistent offender then the DVLA could pull the right to use the plate and make you put a normal plate on, but I had never heard of the car being impounded (as it would be if you didnt have any insurance). Of course an illegal plate is an MoT failure so technically they could impound the car until you make it roadworthy with legal plates but beyond that I think they may struggle....
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
The car
I always understood that if you mis-spaced or misrepresented a plate then the you could be pulled and get a fine of up to £1k. You would then be required to correctly space the plate and your details added to a DVLA database. If you were a persistent offender then the DVLA could pull the right to use the plate and make you put a normal plate on, but I had never heard of the car being impounded (as it would be if you didnt have any insurance). Of course an illegal plate is an MoT failure so technically they could impound the car until you make it roadworthy with legal plates but beyond that I think they may struggle....
Think they applied some form of restrictive order to the car - the kind they hit the boy racers with.

Either way, just space the plates legally! And this is as me who owns a private plate that would "spell" things if spaces correctly. It just looks chavvy
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:47 PM   #10
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Think they applied some form of restrictive order to the car - the kind they hit the boy racers with.

Either way, just space the plates legally! And this is as me who owns a private plate that would "spell" things if spaces correctly. It just looks chavvy
I agree with you on the last bit, mine is spaced legally and I would never risk tampering with that.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #11
JM13RS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Had these plates for four years, tinted front & rear with illegal spacing- No issues. Think the first fine is £100, when & if that time comes il pay it then change them back to legal ones so they dont get funny second time. I know a few of you don't like it, but for me it sets the car off, especially against the davit grey.

Been told off once by the plod, I always have a real spaced set in the boot, as long as you can put them on at the roadside they can't do anything, which is exactly what I did.

Had an S3 before this, again never had issues. I don't have all my cars illegally spaced, just this one, I keep my Panamera legal, so don't worry I'm not all that bad!

Have heard about these ANPR auto sending out fines!!

Carbon mirrors were a doddle to fit, didn't take long maybe 15 mins per mirror? Thought id put them up so you could have a little look, not sure what it is about them but love the fins on them.

Jack

Last edited by JM13RS; 11-27-2020 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #12
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Had these plates for four years, tinted front & rear with illegal spacing- No issues. Think the first fine is £100, when & if that time comes il pay it then change them back to legal ones so they dont get funny second time. I know a few of you don't like it, but for me it sets the car off, especially against the davit grey.

Been told off once by the plod, I always have a real spaced set in the boot, as long as you can put them on at the roadside they can't do anything, which is exactly what I did.

Had an S3 before this, again never had issues. I don't have all my cars illegally spaced, just this one, I keep my Panamera legal, so don't worry I'm not all that bad!

Carbon mirrors were a doddle to fit, didn't take long maybe 15 mins per mirror? Thought id put them up so you could have a little look, not sure what it is about them but love the fins on them.

Jack
Badly spaced plates and bad parking in one photo.

Setting me off lol!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #13
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:

Jack
Sorry but that's not true - just because you have the proper plates in the boot doesn't mean anything, and in fact more proves the point that you're willingly driving knowing you have a non-compliant plate. There's no steps in what the police can do, they could easily give you points, or report you to go to court if it took their fancy.

I'm only trying to help here by the way - this is coming from someone who got caught speeding, then they decided to report me because of my plates too. Double whammy! Safe to say I have compliant plates these days.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #14
PortimaoMystique
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Hi there,

They look great! How's the quality of the finish? Mine have started to get yellow discoloration. If you don't mind me asking, do you have the link for purchase?
      12-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #15
JM13RS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortimaoMystique View Post
They look great! How's the quality of the finish? Mine have started to get yellow discoloration. If you don't mind me asking, do you have the link for purchase?
Feels much better than any other carbon I have purchased. Really sorry but i bought it as part of a kit from a performance house, I dont actually know who makes the kit, i think they had it all made in house for the G20/G21.

Unit 17 was their name.
Appreciate 1
MJG B5810.00
      04-29-2021, 10:48 PM   #16
MJG B58
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorroone View Post
Anyone looked at or know if the mirror caps fitted to the G80 M3/M4 might fit the G20 mirrors.

On the available images the mirrors look as they have the same base structure?
I found some G80 mirror cap knock offs for my M340i online I think they look good. sorry the pictures came out blurry not sure why it did that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 04:46 AM   #17
JM13RS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG B58 View Post
I found some G80 mirror cap knock offs for my M340i online I think they look good. sorry the pictures came out blurry not sure why it did that.
Love the fact you guys dont have to run front plates. Makes the car look SO much cleaner!!! Mirrors look great too!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 02:37 PM   #18
alex.v93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Do the oem m3/m4 g80 caps fit the g20 or not?
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      06-13-2021, 04:36 PM   #19
Zorrotwo
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.v93 View Post
Do the oem m3/m4 g80 caps fit the g20 or not?
I have been advised by my dealership there are different parts??
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #20
Zorrotwo
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrotwo View Post
I have noticed the new G22 has similar mirrors so not sure about these.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:26 AM   #21
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have noticed the new G22 has similar mirrors so not sure about these.
They will do, they will be the same mounting.

For eg: the x3 LCI just got m mirrors in the m40i, so they seem interchangeable
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 03:36 AM   #22
MQasim
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG B58 View Post
Can you please share the link?
Appreciate 0