Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Australian Map Updates

09-04-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Australian Map Updates

I'm still on 2019-2 version and there has been no updates available through my desktop app for a very long time. Has anyone on this forum got a more recent map version?

And we are expect to pay for map updates after three years. The frequency of updates seem to be too slow to warrant purchase of further subscriptions.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 12:11 AM   #2
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Yea ... it's annoying as I've got another car that's nearly 5 years old and I am actually paying for those! The annoying thing is that you get 12 months of updates when you pay, but I'm not convinced you'll get more than 1 update in that time.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #3
westozy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

might as well buy an old fashioned hard copy UBD every year!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
yaholez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i

Yep still on 2019-2.

So ridiculous. Here in SA we've got 2 new highways that don't appear. I imagine other states are similar with the number of infrastructure projects happening around the country.

I wonder who their mapping provider is? Garmin perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:37 PM   #5
mdl1978
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i MSport 7/20 build

I picked up my brand new 330i on the 2nd Nov. It also has the same map version, 2019-2.
My other car is a MY17 Jaguar F-Pace. It gets map updates every 3 months.

If a car company the size of Jaguar can do every 3 months, surely BMW can as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 12:39 AM   #6
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl1978 View Post
I picked up my brand new 330i on the 2nd Nov. It also has the same map version, 2019-2.

If a car company the size of Jaguar can do every 3 months, surely BMW can as well.
Australian and New Zealand maps update version 2020-1 is available now...either from your dealer or download by BMW map updater to a laptop and install in your car from a USB stick.
Appreciate 1
achk132.50
      11-11-2020, 05:01 AM   #7
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #8
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl1978 View Post

it should have had 2020.1 maps loaded if it's just been delivered. But you can upgrade them yourself using the map updater
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:26 AM   #9
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
it should have had 2020.1 maps loaded if it's just been delivered. But you can upgrade them yourself using the map updater
So just to clarify you can update for free or is there a cost? Could you supply a link to the map updater? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 02:28 AM   #10
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
Quote:
So just to clarify you can update for free or is there a cost? Could you supply a link to the map updater? Thanks in advance.
You get 3 years of map updates with the new car purchase. Go to the connecteddrive website and log in with your details. There's instructions there to download a downloader program where you will download a file specific to your car's VIN. Extract the file onto a USB drive and plug into your car. The map should load after that.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #11
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
You get 3 years of map updates with the new car purchase. Go to the connecteddrive website and log in with your details. There's instructions there to download a downloader program where you will download a file specific to your car's VIN. Extract the file onto a USB drive and plug into your car. The map should load after that.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, achk!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #12
ToeJoe
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Curious as to why you guys like BMW Maps so much. I think it's a piece of junk myself. The only thing it had going for it was (a) native to iDrive (b) showed HUD turn by turn directions.

Why I think it sucks:

- Voice recognition accuracy is poor. I'd give it 60% accuracy at best (I'm native Australian accent).

- Very poor or non-existent location knowledge, eg. "Hey BMW, navigate to [some restaurant]" will very rarely produce a result.

- Excessive insistence on specificity for addresses. Sometimes I just want to navigate to a suburb in general ("Hey BMW, navigate to Auburn") because I know my way around there so I don't have a specific address or I don't know it. You cannot do that with BMW Maps, she loses her sh*t and starts offering addresses in other countries and stuff.

- On that note, is it such a big ask to restrict addresses to Australia? I think 0.00000000000001% of Aussie BMW owners would ever take their cars overseas, and the elimination of other countries would increase accuracy considerably.

- Dubious RTTI and other best-route intelligence. I have no proof, not having done a side by side comparison with Apple or Google, but if you're getting such infrequent map updates that's already a bad start.

Apple Maps and Google Maps are superior by a country mile to BMW Maps in my view. While Google Maps to me is the best mapping app out there in every way, at least Apple Maps via Carplay offers turn by turn on HUD now, is pretty good in general, and can be voice activated just like BMW Maps. I use Apple Maps exclusively now.

Why would you want BMW Maps?
Appreciate 1
francton124.50
      11-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #13
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Wow! That was a good rant.
      12-01-2020, 05:14 AM   #14
ToeJoe
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Wow! That was a good rant.
Yeah it was Steve, I admit. Lots of toys been thrown out of the pram. And no disrespect to those who like BMW Maps. We all have our preferences, for our own reasons.

I also am aware that BMW isn't Oracle or Google or Facebook, ie. software is not their bread and butter. But still ... We pay a lot for these cars and the software quality still leaves a fair bit to be desired, in general.

I don't pretend to understand the politics but the bottom line for me is I wish car makers would stop doing what they are not good at - ie. building their own mapping apps - and simply partner with existing platforms that are. Better quality, better integration, better experiences = better consumer satisfaction.

Love to hear others' thoughts on this. It's highly possible I'm a naive idiot on this topic, so feel free to lay into me.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #15
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJoe View Post
Curious as to why you guys like BMW Maps so much. I think it's a piece of junk myself. The only thing it had going for it was (a) native to iDrive (b) showed HUD turn by turn directions.

Why I think it sucks:

- Voice recognition accuracy is poor. I'd give it 60% accuracy at best (I'm native Australian accent).

- Very poor or non-existent location knowledge, eg. "Hey BMW, navigate to [some restaurant]" will very rarely produce a result.

- Excessive insistence on specificity for addresses. Sometimes I just want to navigate to a suburb in general ("Hey BMW, navigate to Auburn") because I know my way around there so I don't have a specific address or I don't know it. You cannot do that with BMW Maps, she loses her sh*t and starts offering addresses in other countries and stuff.

- On that note, is it such a big ask to restrict addresses to Australia? I think 0.00000000000001% of Aussie BMW owners would ever take their cars overseas, and the elimination of other countries would increase accuracy considerably.

- Dubious RTTI and other best-route intelligence. I have no proof, not having done a side by side comparison with Apple or Google, but if you're getting such infrequent map updates that's already a bad start.

Apple Maps and Google Maps are superior by a country mile to BMW Maps in my view. While Google Maps to me is the best mapping app out there in every way, at least Apple Maps via Carplay offers turn by turn on HUD now, is pretty good in general, and can be voice activated just like BMW Maps. I use Apple Maps exclusively now.

Why would you want BMW Maps?
Well I certainly don't have anything to complain about with BMW Navi. BMW is a bit hesitant learning Maori names in NZ..so I would expect it to be the same learning Aboriginal names in Australia. But if the Personal Assistant is set to learn, it definitely improves over time. And I can't really expect BMW to have a NZ English and a Maori language option.
I've also found that with Android Auto, Hey Google doesn't give any better results. I used Android Auto for a week.or so after the upgrade 07.2020.60 upgrade, but never use it now ..the BMW native system does everything better imho. (The only thing Android Auto gave me was album art on Spotify...which doesn't really matter..I still get album and artist details just using my phone on Bluetooth.)

The RTTI seems to be very good in NZ, and I have never had any issues with Hey BMW not being able to find a cafe or petrol station or any other place.

I've also never ever had BMW Navi direct me anywhere overseas. As far as I know, the maps are restricted to Australia and NZ, or at least they are on my car. So I can't really see how that can happen, as you set the default to whichever country you are in.
But I've never tried looking for Auburn or Castle Hill, or saying Hey BMW, take me to Castle Hill, when I'm in New Zealand. I can say "Hey BMW take me to Auckland" and it will just show me a central city address so I just select that.
That being said, there are plenty of ex Australia cars in NZ and ex NZ cars in Australia. So your .1% to about 14 decimal points of BMW owners moving cars overseas might not be so accurate.
I took.my 530i to to Sydney in 2004, and we brought my wife's 120i with Navi back from Sydney in 2013. So it was easy to select NZ as the default and saved having to buy a new map CD.
And there are plenty of ex Australia cars for sale here in NZ. ( some of which are repaired hail damaged write offs, which is a separate and rather long story )

If I don't know how to get to the destination I'm looking for, I often look on the Connected Drive App before I leave and send the destination to the car. The App uses Google Maps so in effect you get the best of both worlds...
So you have 3 methods of using BMW Navi ..in car voice activated, in car touch or controller access, plus send from Connected Drive App..

overall..I have nothing to complain about..BMW Navi and Maps are fine, and are easier to use imho than Google Maps on Android Auto
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:35 AM   #16
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I use the native BMW navigation simply because Apple CarPlay keeps dropping off.

I have my phone connected by a USB cable on a cupholder mounted phone stand. I listen to music via Spotify through the USB (quality is discernibly better than Bluetooth) and I have Waze running in the background on my phone to warn me of police/cameras etc.

To be honest, BMW Navi is very good compared to all other native systems - and I've sampled VAG, Volvo, Mercedes and Toyota/Lexus over the years. But I agree it's still not as good as Google map/ Apple Map.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 02:03 AM   #17
ToeJoe
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Well I certainly don't have anything to complain about with BMW Navi. BMW is a bit hesitant learning Maori names in NZ..so I would expect it to be the same learning Aboriginal names in Australia. But if the Personal Assistant is set to learn, it definitely improves over time. And I can't really expect BMW to have a NZ English and a Maori language option.
I've also found that with Android Auto, Hey Google doesn't give any better results. I used Android Auto for a week.or so after the upgrade 07.2020.60 upgrade, but never use it now ..the BMW native system does everything better imho. (The only thing Android Auto gave me was album art on Spotify...which doesn't really matter..I still get album and artist details just using my phone on Bluetooth.)

The RTTI seems to be very good in NZ, and I have never had any issues with Hey BMW not being able to find a cafe or petrol station or any other place.

I've also never ever had BMW Navi direct me anywhere overseas. As far as I know, the maps are restricted to Australia and NZ, or at least they are on my car. So I can't really see how that can happen, as you set the default to whichever country you are in.
But I've never tried looking for Auburn or Castle Hill, or saying Hey BMW, take me to Castle Hill, when I'm in New Zealand. I can say "Hey BMW take me to Auckland" and it will just show me a central city address so I just select that.
That being said, there are plenty of ex Australia cars in NZ and ex NZ cars in Australia. So your .1% to about 14 decimal points of BMW owners moving cars overseas might not be so accurate.
I took.my 530i to to Sydney in 2004, and we brought my wife's 120i with Navi back from Sydney in 2013. So it was easy to select NZ as the default and saved having to buy a new map CD.
And there are plenty of ex Australia cars for sale here in NZ. ( some of which are repaired hail damaged write offs, which is a separate and rather long story )

If I don't know how to get to the destination I'm looking for, I often look on the Connected Drive App before I leave and send the destination to the car. The App uses Google Maps so in effect you get the best of both worlds...
So you have 3 methods of using BMW Navi ..in car voice activated, in car touch or controller access, plus send from Connected Drive App..

overall..I have nothing to complain about..BMW Navi and Maps are fine, and are easier to use imho than Google Maps on Android Auto
Thanks for sharing and the detailed response, TikiTourer. I'm actually glad to hear some people find BMW Nav works better for them than Google or Apple. Because it should!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #18
Lauriel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Touring

Thanks for your opinion on the maps. I get my 330i Tourer at the end of Jan and have been doing lots of research. I currently use Waze in CarPlay and find it very good. I think from the comments on the post I will continue to use it. Also agree with your thoughts that car manufacturers should partner with the experts.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:15 AM   #19
Rex1965
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 X3

Australian maps update for X3

Hi Crew
does anyone have a link to the newest version of NEXT maps I can download for Australia?
thanks
Rex
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:37 AM   #20
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i ,17 Impreza,16 Pulsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex1965 View Post
Hi Crew
does anyone have a link to the newest version of NEXT maps I can download for Australia?
thanks
Rex
@Rex1965 - I think in regards to the map update on the store when you download it via the pc it's locked to your vin number. So don't think we can provide you the file as you won't be able to update it...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 02:54 AM   #21
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

May be old news… but 2021-1 map is available for download through the download manager
Appreciate 4
      06-24-2021, 07:58 AM   #22
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
May be old news… but 2021-1 map is available for download through the download manager
New news for me. Thanks achk!
Appreciate 0