Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What's the fastest you went?

12-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

What's the fastest you went?

Curious to see numbers on what speeds everyone reached. Of course these numbers were obtained in a legal fashion. I've gotten to 135/7 MPH stock 2021 M340. I assume I have a speed limiter since the car wouldn't go faster than that.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Same here, 135 mph. I was actually pretty surprised and disappointed when I hit the limiter at that speed because I had read beforehand that the top speed was limited to 155 mph, and especially considering the M340i still had a lot of steam to keep going. But I suppose it's better for my safety.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #3
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

125 mph and it was ROCK SOLID. I see why autobahn exists in Germany... For all these nice Beemers!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Same here, 135 mph. I was actually pretty surprised and disappointed when I hit the limiter at that speed because I had read beforehand that the top speed was limited to 155 mph, and especially considering the M340i still had a lot of steam to keep going. But I suppose it's better for my safety.
Yeah the 155 limiter is if you get the track and cooling package I believe. Yeah plenty more to go but I do feel it slowing down when you're approaching the 125 point. Not sure if that's part of the limiter or actual performance.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317966.50
      12-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340i Pride View Post
125 mph and it was ROCK SOLID. I see why autobahn exists in Germany... For all these nice Beemers!
Sometimes I'm cruising and then look down and I'm at 110. It's so effortless and handles so well you don't even realize you're going that fast. Very impressive but can get dangerous if you're not paying attention.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #6
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaabi View Post
Sometimes I'm cruising and then look down and I'm at 110. It's so effortless and handles so well you don't even realize you're going that fast. Very impressive but can get dangerous if you're not paying attention.
oh yes same thing happens to me often... Cruising on a fwy and i am barely on the throttle, its an EASY 95 lol. Got to be careful.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #7
tex0z
Registered
United_States
Rep

The fastest I've gone is 165mph (in Mexico). I ran out of room or else I would have done a top speed run. I'm Stage 1 Tuned by Carbahn Autoworks with squared PS4'S at 245/35/R19. Before the tune I was limited to 131 because the car came with all-season run flats rated to 130.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #8
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah the 155 limiter is if you get the track and cooling package I believe. Yeah plenty more to go but I do feel it slowing down when you're approaching the 125 point. Not sure if that's part of the limiter or actual performance.
I'm not sure, so don't quote me on this, but I think it's partly due to the limiter. You kind of hit a sudden wall after 125 and up till it approaches the limiter at 135.

And yes, the track and cooling packages gives you that 155 top speed. I just didn't realize this until after I hit that limiter at 135 one day and had to come back and research why my car wasn't getting to the listed top speed

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
MBM3401026.00
      12-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #9
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

160ish Mission Stage2 2017 340 deserted desert road on the way to the BMW thermal performance driving center - car still had more to give I did not

138 on the water and that felt waaaay faster than the 160 in the car - my knees were literally shaking an hour later
Appreciate 1
Musaabi119.00
      12-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #10
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Actually the 155 mph is based on the tire/wheel set up that came from the factory. It’s not necessary to have the track package. If the car came equipped with staggered, high performance, summer tires the limiter is set at 155. If it came with a square, all season set up the limiter is set at 130 mph.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

12-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #11
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
160ish Mission Stage2 2017 340 deserted desert road on the way to the BMW thermal performance driving center - car still had more to give I did not

138 on the water and that felt waaaay faster than the 160 in the car - my knees were literally shaking an hour later
My legs would be shaking at 160 as well
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #12
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure, so don't quote me on this, but I think it's partly due to the limiter. You kind of hit a sudden wall after 125 and up till it approaches the limiter at 135.

And yes, the track and cooling packages gives you that 155 top speed. I just didn't realize this until after I hit that limiter at 135 one day and had to come back and research why my car wasn't getting to the listed top speed
Yup that's what I thought as well. Once it hits 125 it gradually increases in speed till it hits the limiter. Dam bmw
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #13
PSterk
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue G21 330i

160 (258km/u) in my stock G21 330i on the German Autobahn ;-)
Appreciate 3
      12-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #14
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I've hit 135mph as per readings obtained from the OBD port (live cockpit only showed 130 and wouldn't increase since the road was flat though OBD readings said 135). Dragy at the same time verified that it was 129mph and not increasing. Our cars have limiters because of the tyres.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #15
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSterk View Post
160 (258km/u) in my stock G21 330i on the German Autobahn ;-)
Must be nice
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #16
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I've hit 135mph as per readings obtained from the OBD port (live cockpit only showed 130 and wouldn't increase since the road was flat though OBD readings said 135). Dragy at the same time verified that it was 129mph and not increasing. Our cars have limiters because of the tyres.
I feel like that's a stupid excuse of bmw limiting the speed to tires. What happens when I change to performance tires? I'm still stock with the limiter. What happens when someone who opts for the performance tires changes for AS standard tires? They still have that higher governor. I was also told if you do the M school, they'll increase the limiter. Not sure how accurate that is though.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #17
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
I feel like that's a stupid excuse of bmw limiting the speed to tires. What happens when I change to performance tires? I'm still stock with the limiter. What happens when someone who opts for the performance tires changes for AS standard tires? They still have that higher governor. I was also told if you do the M school, they'll increase the limiter. Not sure how accurate that is though.
BMW isn't the only one doing that. Audi and Merc does it too. And other brands too probably?

I swapped tyres today (got non-RFTs since the OEM RFTs were at 5/32). There's a feature called auto learn in the TPMS part of the iDrive. It couldn't learn about my tyres but I guess it might be able to do it on BMW approved tyres? Not sure if that changes the speed limiter if it detects high performance summer tyres.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #18
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
BMW isn't the only one doing that. Audi and Merc does it too. And other brands too probably?

I swapped tyres today (got non-RFTs since the OEM RFTs were at 5/32). There's a feature called auto learn in the TPMS part of the iDrive. It couldn't learn about my tyres but I guess it might be able to do it on BMW approved tyres? Not sure if that changes the speed limiter if it detects high performance summer tyres.
Here's what I found in the owners manual. If the car doesn't auto read it, it'll have to be manually imputed. Interesting, I want to test this out. Performance tires are going to be installed when they unlock the new ecu
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #19
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here's what I found in the owners manual. If the car doesn't auto read it, it'll have to be manually imputed. Interesting, I want to test this out. Performance tires are going to be installed when they unlock the new ecu
This is what I found on my settings. It looks like a QR code on the tires is how the car learns them but it says it's only after programming by service center. I changed the settings and did the learn feature again and it took about 10 miles of driving to update. Changing the speed also increases the recommended tire pressure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #20
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
No it's not stupid... it's because the all season tires are not rated for higher speeds. I believe the stock all seasons max speed rating is 130mph

Stupid is wanting to go 150mph but not understanding 1) tire construction and safety limits 2) the optimal way to order your car to safely do so. BMW knows most of their customers don't care to know these details but might roll the throttle to the floor on occasion, hence the reduced limiter
Appreciate 2
M40i4me1037.00
A6bullet337.00
      12-02-2020, 06:42 PM   #21
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
Quote:
No it's not stupid... it's because the all season tires are not rated for higher speeds. I believe the stock all seasons max speed rating is 130mph

Stupid is wanting to go 150mph but not understanding 1) tire construction and safety limits 2) the optimal way to order your car to safely do so. BMW knows most of their customers don't care to know these details but might roll the throttle to the floor on occasion, hence the reduced limiter
Before calling people stupid you should understand the point I was trying to make which is now resolved since I wasn't aware of the auto learn settings in the car. Stupid being if there was no way to recognize the tires, what's stopping someone purchasing the car with performance tires and having an increased limiter and throwing standard tires on and having that increased limiter still. I know the car CAN auto detect the car but regardless I can still manually input wrong information to unlock the extra speed. Feel stupid now?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #22
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Before calling people stupid you should understand the point I was trying to make which is now resolved since I wasn't aware of the auto learn settings in the car. Stupid being if there was no way to recognize the tires, what's stopping someone purchasing the car with performance tires and having an increased limiter and throwing standard tires on and having that increased limiter still. I know the car CAN auto detect the car but regardless I can still manually input wrong information to unlock the extra speed. Feel stupid now?
1) I wasn't referring to you personally, but it is a fact the reason why bmw limits the cars with all seasons is because people don't pay attention nor understand.

2)the setting you refer above to will not change the speed limiter it will only change the recommended tire pressure. why? See your own comment about being able to enter inaccurate information.

The only way to get the limiter changed is through coding.
Appreciate 0