Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Hello Bimmerpost

12-04-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
ElectricScotty
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Hello Bimmerpost

Hello everyone.
Totally new here, recently picked up my BMW 330e M Sport. There’s loads of questions I have but I will get into that in time, most pressing topic is range and how to get the best out of it. I live in Somerset on the A303, my commute is 32 miles almost all of it on the 303 so 60mph all the way (coming home is a different story). What is the best mode to use? E-drive or Hybrid Ecopro?

I think the car is amazing, compared to my jag xe, the sound system is excellent and the heated steering wheel is so nice.

Looking forward to getting some tips and also sharing any experiences I have along the way.

ElectricScotty
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13343.50
OM3RTA391.00
      12-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Welcome and I hope you & your new addition enjoy many happy miles together.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
ElectricScotty
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
Welcome and I hope you & your new addition enjoy many happy miles together.
Thank you, I hope they are going to be fun filled miles!
Appreciate 1
OM3RTA391.00
      12-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
Big Paul 7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20 M Sport +

Battery range

I've had my 330e for about 11 months and all I can suggest is that you try each mode on what seem to be similar journeys each day. Biggest thing to remember is the temperature outside plays the most part on range variation as well as driving style. I tend to think Hybrid Eco-Pro is most economical as long as you engage Navigation to your destination (even if you know your way).
Another tip I've found is that if you "Climatise" before leaving home while still connected, especially in winter, you'll get a couple more miles from the battery that won't necessarily show on the forecast range at the time.
If the journey home is stop start then hold on to the battery charge and use that unless of course you can charge at work as well.
Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
ElectricScotty
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul 7 View Post
I've had my 330e for about 11 months and all I can suggest is that you try each mode on what seem to be similar journeys each day. Biggest thing to remember is the temperature outside plays the most part on range variation as well as driving style. I tend to think Hybrid Eco-Pro is most economical as long as you engage Navigation to your destination (even if you know your way).
Another tip I've found is that if you "Climatise" before leaving home while still connected, especially in winter, you'll get a couple more miles from the battery that won't necessarily show on the forecast range at the time.
If the journey home is stop start then hold on to the battery charge and use that unless of course you can charge at work as well.
Good Luck
Cheers Big Paul, great tip with the sat nav, I will certainly try that. I’ve had a few teething problems with the app, but I’m slowly getting my head round it. Did the xtra boost mode startle you? I’ve only tried it once and it definitely took me by surprise. On the range front, my last commute saw the engine start up and run for about one mile put a long hill at 60mph. Is that good given the temperature outside?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
Big Paul 7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20 M Sport +

I've not seen more than about 29 miles of what I call "pure electric range" since I picked it up! I think, once the battery is exhausted, then any additions to electric miles travelled, is a bit of a miss representation, since the energy recovered and used to drive in electric mode has come from the petrol engine and/or gravity!
I have a similar gripe about how Toyota claim they sell "Self Charging Hybrids" that can run on Elecrticity for up to 50% of the time when the charge has been created from using petrol from the tank.
Gripe over! Extra-Boost is great and I was most impressed when I set up Sport Individual mode and once the engine is warmed up the car's docile nature is transformed. I don't do it too often as the effect on MPG is worrying. I think, when my sons borrow the car, they might just use it a little more though!
Appreciate 0