Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Anyone able to code Auto-Stop-Start on version 03/23

10-29-2023, 02:13 PM   #111
den110
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M440i

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Hi folks. Ok, to update and see if anyone had success with disabling the auto start/stop function. Here is my setup:

1. 2021 M440i mild hybrid system
  2. software updated to 3/2023.67
  3. Just purchased Bimmercode for Android version 4.20.0-11417
  4. Using vLinker BM blutooth to connect to car
  5. Coded Auto Start Stop function off by default to Active
  6. Left Auto Start Stop function last memory coded to Inactive since I DO NOT have the button on my console to choose this feature

Nothing changed after I coded to Not Active Auto Start Stop

I had to do what everyone else with this issue is doing: have the car coded to start in Sport Individual and choose all features to "Comfort" in order to not have Auto Start and Stop engaging every time I come to a stop in Comfort mode.

Last edited by den110; 10-29-2023 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 06:43 PM   #112
den110
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M440i

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by den110 View Post
Hi folks. Ok, to update and see if anyone had success with disabling the auto start/stop function. Here is my setup:

6. Left Auto Start Stop function last memory coded to Inactive since I DO NOT have the button on my console to choose this feature

I had to do what everyone else with this issue is doing: have the car coded to start in Sport Individual and choose all features to "Comfort" in order to not have Auto Start and Stop engaging every time I come to a stop in Comfort mode.

Here is the response from Bimmercode, looks like they are not doing anything to correct the problem other than the workaround we are all doing:

Dear Customer,

Recent changes made by BMW to the engine software cause this coding not having an effect any longer and at the moment there is no fix available unfortunately.

Workaround: Change the “Default driving mode“ available in the “Body Domain Controller“ using BimmerCode and set it to “SPORT INDIVIDUAL". This will prevent the auto start stop function to come on and additionally you can configure this driving mode to your liking in the settings in the iDrive system in your car.
--
Kind regards / Schöne Grüße
Sven Straubinger - Lead Developer
--
SG Software GmbH & Co. KG
Linsenäcker 18/1, 72379 Hechingen
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2023, 12:17 PM   #113
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i M Sport

Quote:
Here is the response from Bimmercode, looks like they are not doing anything to correct the problem other than the workaround we are all doing:

Dear Customer,

Recent changes made by BMW to the engine software cause this coding not having an effect any longer and at the moment there is no fix available unfortunately.

Workaround: Change the “Default driving mode“ available in the “Body Domain Controller“ using BimmerCode and set it to “SPORT INDIVIDUAL". This will prevent the auto start stop function to come on and additionally you can configure this driving mode to your liking in the settings in the iDrive system in your car.
--
Kind regards / Schöne Grüße
Sven Straubinger - Lead Developer
--
SG Software GmbH & Co. KG
Linsenäcker 18/1, 72379 Hechingen
Indeed, I also received the same response from them. Having researched this across multiple models, my conclusion is that auto-start-stop cannot be disabled on the 3/2023 BMW software on mild-hybrid systems, and that applies beyond the 3 Series. Bimmercode is quite definitive ("there is no fix available"), and it is not in their commercial interest to state that.

I am holding out hope that this was unintentional, and BMW will restore it in their next update. I saw a post somewhere that suggested that new units are already shipping with the next update, and those owners were able to code ASS off. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:48 PM   #114
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobeagle View Post
Having researched this across multiple models, my conclusion is that auto-start-stop cannot be disabled on the 3/2023 BMW software on mild-hybrid systems, and that applies beyond the 3 Series.
Not entirely true; perhaps you haven't had a chance to read through this thread entirely but others have reported success outside of bimmercode. It's not entirely clear why it works for some but not others on 03.2023 (and beyond.)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:58 PM   #115
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Not entirely true; perhaps you haven't had a chance to read through this thread entirely but others have reported success outside of bimmercode. It's not entirely clear why it works for some but not others on 03.2023.
I've read through the thread. I personally highly recommend not updating to 03.2023, if one wants to code ASS on mild hybrid units.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:59 PM   #116
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've read through the thread. I personally highly recommend not updating to 03.2023, if one wants to code ASS on mild hybrid units.
Yes -- this thread is for those who already have and are looking for a way out.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 01:03 PM   #117
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes -- this thread is for those who already have and are looking for a way out.
Fair point.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 03:56 PM   #118
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

XHP has an option to switch off the ASS altogether. I believe it disables it in all modes except ECOPro. I don't have this latest s/w version being discussed here, so I can't confirm if this still works.

Does anyone with a G20 and this latest sw version know if the XHP option still works to disable the ASS? (Or has this been stated already and I missed it?)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 07:05 PM   #119
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I tried to code it off in my sons 22 m340 and it did not work. Just used the workaround of starting in SI. Had to do same in my 23 x3m40. Not a big deal, just hope we don’t lost the ability to code completely or get it to start in SI when I’m forced into id8 or 9 or whatever the next gen x3m40 gets
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 02:42 AM   #120
bartosz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 30d

Quote:

In the mild hybrid there is free rolling, unfortunately in sport mode, despite setting everything to comfort mode, free rolling does not work and there is engine braking.
Is there a method to change this?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 09:25 AM   #121
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

So annoying that they did this. . . I legit did used to use comfort sometimes like if I am on the way home from a restaurant after a glass of wine or 3 as not to attract attention. I find that comfort is still quieter than sport individual no matter how its coded, and its obnoxious that the auto start stop in comfort now can't be adjusted. It's one of the most annoying 'features' that exists in any car today in my opinion, and its actually dangerous in some cars. Sometimes you come to a stop and then you need to GO, not wait for the car to turn back on.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 01:35 PM   #122
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
7/2023 has the same behavior. And the behavior is same on non mild hybrid units such as my 2023 840i.
      12-06-2023, 02:46 PM   #123
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

My car came back from the shop with version 11/2023. I am able to code this off with Esys/LauncherPro. Bimmercode for whatever reason no longer has expert mode to the DME ECU; so you’ll have to use a program that provides DME access to FDL/NCD code this. In any case I reverted back because the feature seems so seamless - not sure if it’s been improved on 11/2023 but since I coded it off from the beginning I can’t tell (I have no basis for comparison.) So far I like it and I’ll leave it enabled — perhaps I might turn it off down the road.

Model: US M340xi Mild Hybrid 2021.
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2023, 08:56 AM   #124
TampaBimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i Coupe

Does BimmerCode list their updates and what they contain anywhere? I’m wondering if BMW and BimmerCode ever get on the same page, how will I know. I guess from someone on here

As a side note, ASS would be livable if there was a short delay before activation. A delay that one could adjust would even be better. The instant activation seems really dumb and I can’t imagine how that got out of R&D.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 09:20 AM   #125
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBimmer View Post
The instant activation seems really dumb and I can’t imagine how that got out of R&D.
What is dumb about it? This technology has been around for a while and works the same on other brands.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 01:06 PM   #126
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

Quote:
What is dumb about it? This technology has been around for a while and works the same on other brands.
A low spec Mazda 323 that I used as a hire car while my previous vehicle was being repaired has the best Start/Stop implementation that I have encountered: -

The engine start/stop was controlled by the amount of pressure applied to the brake pedal. You could easily bring the car to a stop - then if you were going to be stationary for some time (traffic light phasing) - firm pressure would cut-out the engine. When it looked as if you would be moving off - reducing the brake pedal pressure would restart the engine - but you were still stopping the car from creeping. Once you got the green - fully off the pedal, engine already running, away you go. I got used to this within 30 minutes of taking the car out

My previous Jag XF would not restart the engine until the brake pressure was reduced to the point of creeping forwards - pathetic

I also find the BMW system cannot be controlled as easily as the Mazda - consequently I hit the ASS OFF button as soon as I start the car

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 08:05 PM   #127
TampaBimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330i View Post
A low spec Mazda 323 that I used as a hire car while my previous vehicle was being repaired has the best Start/Stop implementation that I have encountered
You get it Mike and that does sound better. I do not treat my equipment the way the ASS can hammer a car. BMW even has a software lockout after that happens (and for other reasons, temp, power but also if ASS recently activated, deactivated then tried to activate in succession). So if immediate ASS is such a great way of doing business, why the software ASS off until the next stop.

I like the pressure way of doing it but even a 3 - 7 second delay would work. Now it is either turn if off or be really attuned to hard stopping.

Last edited by TampaBimmer; 12-31-2023 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:38 PM   #128
dhock_holiday
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330i View Post
A low spec Mazda 323 that I used as a hire car while my previous vehicle was being repaired has the best Start/Stop implementation that I have encountered: -

The engine start/stop was controlled by the amount of pressure applied to the brake pedal. You could easily bring the car to a stop - then if you were going to be stationary for some time (traffic light phasing) - firm pressure would cut-out the engine. When it looked as if you would be moving off - reducing the brake pedal pressure would restart the engine - but you were still stopping the car from creeping. Once you got the green - fully off the pedal, engine already running, away you go. I got used to this within 30 minutes of taking the car out

My previous Jag XF would not restart the engine until the brake pressure was reduced to the point of creeping forwards - pathetic

I also find the BMW system cannot be controlled as easily as the Mazda - consequently I hit the ASS OFF button as soon as I start the car

Regards, Mike.
Agree with you Mike, I like to stop gradually and lift up from the brake so that the car doesnt jolt to a stop. With the BMW mild hybrid implementation the car turns off the engine at 8MPH or so and when I try to stop gracefully it just turns the engine back on again.

They should only turn off the engine when the car is completly stopped. The BMW engineers who designed this must stop like hooligans.

What I end up doing is shifting to Sport and then when I'm stopped I go back to Comfort to let the car turn off at lights.
Appreciate 0