Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Protool - A mobile ESYS and The best BMW coding and diagnostics app available

07-17-2023, 04:41 PM   #45
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacgurn View Post
I have not used a launcher and use more or less current esys without any issues. Launchers make things easier for us for sure but not required. I am now comparing bimmerutility to Ultra and so far like the interface better in ultra and it now has DTC read/clear so that complaint is gone. besides its easy to use ISTA+ to check and fix most errors on F series as I don't have a G car. Ultra is cheaper than protocol also.

rick
1) how's that even possible? Without a launcher FDL coding is impossible because the CAFD won't be mapped. You can FA code but that's it.

2) it doesn't just make it easier, it's pretty much impossible to FDL code without one.

3) esys ultra is 110 euro, that's $123 USD vs. $79.99 for the protool coding license. It's significantly more expensive, and you can't even compare the diagnostics license of protool because it's significantly more feature rich.
      07-18-2023, 01:57 PM   #46
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X63.0D, 911C4S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
1) how's that even possible? Without a launcher FDL coding is impossible because the CAFD won't be mapped. You can FA code but that's it.

2) it doesn't just make it easier, it's pretty much impossible to FDL code without one.

3) esys ultra is 110 euro, that's $123 USD vs. $79.99 for the protool coding license. It's significantly more expensive, and you can't even compare the diagnostics license of protool because it's significantly more feature rich.
Wrong you can VO code same result and don’t need a launcher. Also your not comparing apple to apples protool is cheap if only buy one part ultra does dtc’s and resets but seems you need to spend much more to get both parts of protool. VO Coding allows mass changing of FDL's, so it is quicker and easier than FDL Coding, and by writing modified FA to car, when dealer programs the car, it will be treated like a factory option.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 02:01 PM   #47
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wrong you can VO code same result and don’t need a launcher. Also your not comparing apple to apples protool is cheap if only buy one part ultra does dtc’s and resets but seems you need to spend much more to get both parts of protool. VO Coding allows mass changing of FDL's, so it is quicker and easier than FDL Coding, and by writing modified FA to car, when dealer programs the car, it will be treated like a factory option.
One more comment I don’t think there is an iPhone version which probably why I didn’t look as I don’t use android,
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:05 PM   #48
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You can't VO code EPS, DSC, GHAS, Brake booster, gear indicator, etc.

1) There's a reason why FDL coding exists and why launchers have been around forever....

2) You're incorrect, if you modify the FA the dealer will be able to detect them because the FA list is cross referenced with your vin generated FA... There's a whole thread about FA coding but not writing to the VCM and why when you setup ESYS it shouldn't have update TAL and VCM upon execution.....

Also when the dealer does a software update it's done via vin, so regardless of your FA it will be reverted back to default.

Protool's diagnostics does far more than error code resets. It has ISTA level functionality where it can activate parts on the car like recalibrate the GHAS, release the rear e brake for servicing etc.
      07-18-2023, 03:55 PM   #49
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You can't VO code EPS, DSC, GHAS, Brake booster, gear indicator, etc.

1) There's a reason why FDL coding exists and why launchers have been around forever....

2) You're incorrect, if you modify the FA the dealer will be able to detect them because the FA list is cross referenced with your vin generated FA... There's a whole thread about FA coding but not writing to the VCM and why when you setup ESYS it shouldn't have update TAL and VCM upon execution.....

Also when the dealer does a software update it's done via vin, so regardless of your FA it will be reverted back to default.

Protool's diagnostics does far more than error code resets. It has ISTA level functionality where it can activate parts on the car like recalibrate the GHAS, release the rear e brake for servicing etc.
well I stole part of my reply from Shawn Sheridan and it was he how said that about the dealer. none applies to me as my car is out of warranty and I never use the dealer. I also has ISTA+ and Bimmercode to do the many things I need to do so don't see any need to buy more programs unless they are offered on iPhone and add convenience.

I am happy you like Protool so much as for me don't see any advantage to the items I have.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 04:58 PM   #50
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
well I stole part of my reply from Shawn Sheridan and it was he how said that about the dealer. none applies to me as my car is out of warranty and I never use the dealer. I also has ISTA+ and Bimmercode to do the many things I need to do so don't see any need to buy more programs unless they are offered on iPhone and add convenience.

I am happy you like Protool so much as for me don't see any advantage to the items I have.
Exactly, it was Shawn who said in his retrofit guide not to update the vcm with the new FA codes in order to avoid dealer suspicion. Because FDL coding alone is undetectable as the dealer doesn't scan that deep. But FA updates are instantly recognizable because your FA list doesn't match with your vin's FA.

Bimmercode to me is useless because it cannot code a significant amount of ecus on the car, and the freely available esys launchers can't either as they're too old and the CAFD mappings are out of date.
      07-29-2023, 01:43 PM   #51
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly, it was Shawn who said in his retrofit guide not to update the vcm with the new FA codes in order to avoid dealer suspicion. Because FDL coding alone is undetectable as the dealer doesn't scan that deep. But FA updates are instantly recognizable because your FA list doesn't match with your vin's FA.

Bimmercode to me is useless because it cannot code a significant amount of ecus on the car, and the freely available esys launchers can't either as they're too old and the CAFD mappings are out of date.
so has anyone tried this android app on a pc with android emulator? I have two emulators for other programs that access the bmw via ODB so maybe this would work?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 02:12 PM   #52
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
so has anyone tried this android app on a pc with android emulator? I have two emulators for other programs that access the bmw via ODB so maybe this would work?
I haven't tried this personally, but I think it's still better to buy a cheap android tablet.
      08-13-2023, 09:47 AM   #53
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
has anyone tried to code TPMS on a RFD car from Europe using FA coding not VO code? know the changes?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 09:48 AM   #54
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I haven't tried this personally, but I think it's still better to buy a cheap android tablet.
I tested developers to ask if I could run under android emulator like blue stacks as I do for Bimmercode but they replied no. I still might try it to see.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 02:31 PM   #55
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I tested developers to ask if I could run under android emulator like blue stacks as I do for Bimmercode but they replied no. I still might try it to see.
Let us know if it works.
      08-14-2023, 04:08 PM   #56
m340ixxx
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Will I be able to code an amp? The amp went out on my M340i w harmon. Was thinking about buying one the reprogramming it to the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 04:35 PM   #57
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m340ixxx View Post
Will I be able to code an amp? The amp went out on my M340i w harmon. Was thinking about buying one the reprogramming it to the car.
You should email or facebook message protool in regards to that question. I'm not sure what would be needed to code the amp.
      02-12-2024, 12:07 PM   #58
GabrieI
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW F25 X28i

Hello all,
Can someone point me in the right direction, i bought the Master license of Protool, i added 8TH in VO, now i have 3 lines on the screen and i'm stuck here. I have the original 7E SLI FSC code but i can't figure how to write it or which module to write it in. Can someone help me please?
2017 X3 F25.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 02:40 PM   #59
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieI View Post
Hello all,
Can someone point me in the right direction, i bought the Master license of Protool, i added 8TH in VO, now i have 3 lines on the screen and i'm stuck here. I have the original 7E SLI FSC code but i can't figure how to write it or which module to write it in. Can someone help me please?
2017 X3 F25.
Thank you
You should probably email protool about that, I'm sure they'd be able to help.
      04-08-2024, 08:21 AM   #60
rayj102
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Live data

Hi, new here.

ProTool questions:

How do I calibrate the transfer case actuator? What section on ProTool is it listed?
Also, which section can I see the live data for the wheel speed sensors?

Thanks
Appreciate 0