Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Sunroof shade cover stuck open

04-10-2024, 10:20 AM   #1
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Sunroof shade cover stuck open

I very rarely use the sunroof, but I opened it up for the first time in months. I closed it, without seeing if it fully worked. I get back to my car an hour later and the sunroof is thankfully closed, but the shade is open and stuck there. I have seen from others that this isn't a rare problem. iDrive prompts me to attempt the reset procedure (hold button for 15 seconds), which I did, but it didn't help. I have also:

-Disconnected the main battery and cut power to the car for 10-15 minutes. Reattempted reset procedure.
-Cleared fault codes (several relate to this issue, though they're not conclusive that the motor itself is fault). Reattempted reset procedure.

None of the above helped. I suppose the motor or something else may be faulty, and I see that was the fix for several people, however if the sunroof itself closed and now it's just the shade, I suspect it may be a software issue. Maybe I turned the car off and opened the door as the sunroof was closing initially, thus "cutting power"? I don't remember.

Anyone else have this occur and have any tips? I'm out of warranty, and this isn't something I plan on going to the dealer for to fix, unless it's to run some more advanced reset procedure via ISTA. It wouldn't surprise me if folks got their motors replaced, and through the process of doing that and initializing it, that fixed it (i.e., the motor itself wasn't broke). Otherwise I'm just going to get a dark piece of window film to protect my balding head.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 10:22 AM   #2
dpattana
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Same happened to me and the dealer had to replace the motor.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 10:27 AM   #3
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpattana View Post
Same happened to me and the dealer had to replace the motor.
Was the shade stuck open and nothing worked, or was the whole sunroof stuck open?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 10:36 AM   #4
dpattana
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcfc View Post
Was the shade stuck open and nothing worked, or was the whole sunroof stuck open?
The sunshade was stuck open and wouldn’t close. I could hear it click when I tried to close it. The sunroof worked like normal.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 11:52 AM   #5
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, this is what fixed it for me, one hour later. I took the roof function panel off (the FZD) and the two motors are right there. I took an Allen key and turned the right motor 3 or so times clockwise and I noticed the shade was closing. I then tried the button again and everything worked. I didn't need to re-initialize it.

I'm not sure if this is a sign of the motor(s) on its way out, however the motor clearly isn't broken and I shudder to think of folks getting it replaced outside of warranty when it wasn't necessary.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 11:10 PM   #6
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Dealer had to replace the sunroof motor when this happened to me. Luckily I was under warranty, because it is a costly repair.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 09:32 AM   #7
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Dealer had to replace the sunroof motor when this happened to me. Luckily I was under warranty, because it is a costly repair.
I'm sure they would have told me the same when it clearly isn't necessary. Try this if it happens to you again outside of warranty. Since posting this, two others from a G20 Facebook group tried this fix and it worked; were convinced their motors were gone as well.
Appreciate 0