Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Idrive calling own number

09-13-2022, 01:45 AM   #1
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Idrive calling own number

Does anyone else ever experience IDrive calling itself over and over again? Seems the call can't be cancelled and it appears my phone isn't actually making any call so it can't be cancelled from there. The only way to sort the problem seems to be to reset idrive by holding the power button down which is getting tiresome.

Any ideas how to stop this happening?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 09:53 AM   #2
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
Does anyone else ever experience IDrive calling itself over and over again? Seems the call can't be cancelled and it appears my phone isn't actually making any call so it can't be cancelled from there. The only way to sort the problem seems to be to reset idrive by holding the power button down which is getting tiresome.

Any ideas how to stop this happening?
I had this a few times in my previous 2 cars (touch wood not in the G23 yet). It eventually went away with a software update but it was a right pain until it did.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 01:11 PM   #3
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

This seems like the issue is with your phone, its somehow telling the car a VOIP call has been started (like a WhatsApp call). Do you have an Android phone? Have you installed any app recently?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 01:44 PM   #4
thescouselander
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
This seems like the issue is with your phone, its somehow telling the car a VOIP call has been started (like a WhatsApp call). Do you have an Android phone? Have you installed any app recently?
No new apps installed. As far as I can tell my phone isn't doing anything when idrive goes nuts. Normally if a call has been started via Bluetooth it can also be seen on the phone.

Also my first thought was to reboot my phone but the strange behaviour on idrive continued as soon as the phone reconnected. Rebooting idrive on the other hand fixes the problem so I suspect its an idrive issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 12:28 PM   #5
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
No new apps installed. As far as I can tell my phone isn't doing anything when idrive goes nuts. Normally if a call has been started via Bluetooth it can also be seen on the phone.

Also my first thought was to reboot my phone but the strange behaviour on idrive continued as soon as the phone reconnected. Rebooting idrive on the other hand fixes the problem so I suspect its an idrive issue.
Worth maybe still try pairing a different phone or maybe resetting your own phone to confirm 100% is not a phone issue. Some rogue apps (or a buggy update to an existing app) can trigger this behaviour, especially if its an Android phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 06:03 PM   #6
thescouselander
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Worth maybe still try pairing a different phone or maybe resetting your own phone to confirm 100% is not a phone issue. Some rogue apps (or a buggy update to an existing app) can trigger this behaviour, especially if its an Android phone.

I might try connecting my work phone but it's going to be difficult to pin down because the problem is intermittent. TBH idrive is a buggy piece of s**t and BMW don't update it so its probably the culprit - I might just put this on the long list of other problems that BMW can't sort out.
Appreciate 0