Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Wet spot on the floor after washing the car

07-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Wet spot on the floor after washing the car

Today I accidentally discovered that after washing the car using pressure-washer there is a wet spot on the floor under the carpet, on the passenger side. It was small but really soaking wet. I marked the spot on the attached picture. Everything else was dry, no trace of water whatsoever. The water must have come from under the plastic trim. I was really careful with the lance, keeping the distance etc. I will report it to the dealer of course. Anyone with a similar issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Ouch ~ I would dry it up then test each drainage point on the roof and windshield
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
I use pressure washer have had no issues
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #4
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, I did some tests before I book the visit at the dealership.

Water is appearing inside the cabin only when spraying around passenger door edges (low pressure, from the distance). The water starts flowing with smal stream after approx 5 sec. It is coming from under the rubber seal exactly at the spot marked by the arrow.

Honestly I don't know how much I should be worried - I assume water is somewhere under the trim, where it is not supposed to be. Let's see what the dealer says.

Or maybe there are some critical spots that I can check by myself? To my untrained eye all the rubber seals are perfectly fine. Any advice where to look and what to check?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 04:25 AM   #5
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post

Water is appearing inside the cabin only when spraying around passenger door edges (low pressure, from the distance). The water starts flowing with smal stream after approx 5 sec. It is coming from under the rubber seal exactly at the spot marked by the arrow.

Honestly I don't know how much I should be worried - I assume water is somewhere under the trim, where it is not supposed to be. Let's see what the dealer says.

Or maybe there are some critical spots that I can check by myself? To my untrained eye all the rubber seals are perfectly fine. Any advice where to look and what to check?
Quote:

I just use a hose and I do notice there is quite a bit of water on the inside of the doors so I always open the doors and dry it out after I wash the car bir never had a wet carpet although now you mention it I better check 👍
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:04 AM   #6
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

In my case it was factory damaged seal on this big plastic piece inside the door (the one that has the speaker and everything else attached to it). The bottom seal was broken and the water that was getting inside the door was not being directed into drainage point and instead was leaking from under the door.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 07:57 PM   #7
Alekz35
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i 2020

Quote:
In my case it was factory damaged seal on this big plastic piece inside the door (the one that has the speaker and everything else attached to it). The bottom seal was broken and the water that was getting inside the door was not being directed into drainage point and instead was leaking from under the door.
I am currently having the same issue with my 2020 G20 model. Carpets were really wet after pressure wash. I took this in the dealer and its currently there now. what did they do to fix it? I am worried about mold being in the old carpet, did they replace the whole floor interior?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #8
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekz35 View Post
I am currently having the same issue with my 2020 G20 model. Carpets were really wet after pressure wash. I took this in the dealer and its currently there now. what did they do to fix it? I am worried about mold being in the old carpet, did they replace the whole floor interior?
They've replaced the whole big plastic piece that is inside the door. The seal on the bottom edge that was broken is it's integral part. See my attachment (pic is not mine, found on this forum)

And for the floor carpet they simply allowed it to dry completely, but the leak was not that severe, it wasn't completely soaked, just a spot next to the door.
Attached Images

Last edited by Yossi123; 07-26-2022 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #9
Alekz35
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i 2020

Quote:
They've replaced the whole big plastic piece that is inside the door. The seal on the bottom edge that was broken is it's integral part. See my attachment (pic is not mine, found on this forum)

And for the floor carpet they simply allowed it to dry completely, but the leak was not that severe, it wasn't completely soaked, just a spot next to the door.

Okay yeah what I figured, seen many others with that seal damaged. Dealership just called me back today and said there was no water leakage on my car after a wash so no repair needed (which I think is false) because I swear my carpets were alot more wet than yours in the picture you posted hours after a wash. I am unsure how the dealer missed this. I am hoping this part can be replaced myself, But I feel this is something BMW messed up from factory so they should be the ones fixing this. Idk man thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0