Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Run flat tyres

07-13-2020, 06:38 AM   #1
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Run flat tyres

Can anyone confirm whether the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's on the M340i in Australia are run flat tyres? I have looked everywhere for confirmation. I thought they weren't as I have a tyre mobility kit but everywhere I read seems to suggest all BMW's come with run flats including the manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are not run flats . All 3 series have run flats but not the 2020 M340i Xdrive.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR33R View Post
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are not run flats . All 3 series have run flats but not the 2020 M340i Xdrive.
Ok thanks, as expected. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 04:58 AM   #4
IM340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 640d; 2023 X7 M60i

Garage List
2017 BMW 640d  [10.00]
2023 BMW X7 M60i  [0.00]
Agreed. fyi the tyre pressure on the G20 is based on wheel rotation, not actual pressure. I was headed up to Brisbane and hit roadworks around Boggabri ('cause the damn BMW GPS said that the Newell was closed! that's another story) and the freshly graded dirt road resulted in all four tyres showing pressure down as I pulled over I was waiting for the vultures to start circling ... all tyres ok, but given I was miles away from anywhere ... let's just say I was relieved
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 01:46 AM   #5
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris-M340i View Post
Can anyone confirm whether the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's on the M340i in Australia are run flat tyres? I have looked everywhere for confirmation. I thought they weren't as I have a tyre mobility kit but everywhere I read seems to suggest all BMW's come with run flats including the manual.
My NZ M340i has Pirelli P Zero run flats as standard. Delivered in January. Dealer told me NZ cars were same build spec as Australia, but seems not if the Australian 340i has non runflats.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:19 AM   #6
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Interesting I found out that Michelin do have a Pilot Sport 4 that is a run flat and it is denoted by a ZP - Zero Pressure.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 02:21 AM   #7
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
My NZ M340i has Pirelli P Zero run flats as standard. Delivered in January. Dealer told me NZ cars were same build spec as Australia, but seems not if the Australian 340i has non runflats.
Interesting, so I assume you don't have the tyre mobility kit in the boot in that case?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:33 AM   #8
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Interesting I found out that Michelin do have a Pilot Sport 4 that is a run flat and it is denoted by a ZP - Zero Pressure.
Ah I think thats what everybody is looking for

Any idea where they sell it ?

If we get non runflats(330i owners) then we have to get the goo or put in a spare tyre which wlll require buying another boot floor
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:34 AM   #9
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Quote:
Ah I think thats what everybody is looking for

Any idea where they sell it ?

If we get non runflats(330i owners) then we have to get the goo or put in a spare tyre which wlll require buying another boot floor
You might want to avoid run flats on the next set and getting the goo as all reports are that the ride/handling is not as good and they are noisier. I haven't experienced them myself though.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
Steveram195
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Change to run flats

Hi Guys,

New to this site. Just bought a beautiful older 335i SE and she runs on regular 18 inch tyres. Still can’t get my head around no spare or space saver.. any thoughts on changing to run-Flats? Would the ride be as smooth etc ?cheers for any thoughts

Steve
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveram195 View Post
Hi Guys,

New to this site. Just bought a beautiful older 335i SE and she runs on regular 18 inch tyres. Still can’t get my head around no spare or space saver.. any thoughts on changing to run-Flats? Would the ride be as smooth etc ?cheers for any thoughts

Steve
Hi. For me having run both types over the years, run flats are not as smooth or long lasting as non run flats.

Michelin MPSS or MPSS4S (19 inch and above) are generally viewed as the best tyre on the market. I love them personally.

My M340i came with run craps as the only option. I will switch to MPSS4S as soon as possible. Aided by the fact that only after 4200 miles my rear tyres are down to 3mm of tread. I'll buy the BMW compressor and glue kit stuff.

Run flats give the added peace of mind but they aren't perfect.
      07-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #12
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting, so I assume you don't have the tyre mobility kit in the boot in that case?
Quote:
Quote:
Correct, no inflation kit. I'm ok with run flats; have had them on all my car's since I bought a 335i in 2008.
A guy in my street bought a 330i delivered end May and his car also has RSC 19 " Pirelli P Zeros on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #13
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

When I had a 335I, was factory fitted with run flats, I don't know if they improved since but I thought they were crap. I got rid of them, I bought a spare wheel and bought non run flat tyres.
I was glad the 340 didn't have run flats, I find the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's very good for road use.
You guys with the 330's could look into puncher proof tyres, I believe they are ok much better than runflats .
Of course neither run flats, puncher proof or tyre repair kit would be useful if the tyre was severely damaged.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:18 AM   #14
Steveram195
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post
Hi. For me having run both types over the years, run flats are not as smooth or long lasting as non run flats.

Michelin MPSS or MPSS4S (19 inch and above) are generally viewed as the best tyre on the market. I love them personally.

My M340i came with run craps as the only option. I will switch to MPSS4S as soon as possible. Aided by the fact that only after 4200 miles my rear tyres are down to 3mm of tread. I'll buy the BMW compressor and glue kit stuff.

Thanks for the thoughts Guys,

I thought about a space saver, but there’s not a lot of room in the boot or an actual space made for a spare wheel.
Has anyone else bought a spare and if so how do you store it?

Cheers

Steve
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #15
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

I thought about a space saver, but there's not a lot of room in the boot or an actual space made for a spare wheel.

Cheers

Steve
My G20 came with Pirelli P Zero RFTs and they are the first run flats that I haven't felt the need to run out and swap out.

Far more comfortable and better wearing than continental contact sports that were on my F30 and W205. With those I bought a space saver which came with a cover and tie downs but only ever put it in the boot if I was going on a long trip, otherwise it stays in the garage.

Only once I've used it when I took in a nail on the Mercedes, i drove home from work swapped it over and took the OEM for repairs
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #16
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I thought about a space saver, but there's not a lot of room in the boot or an actual space made for a spare wheel.

Cheers

Steve
My G20 came with Pirelli P Zero RFTs and they are the first run flats that I haven't felt the need to run out and swap out.

Far more comfortable and better wearing than continental contact sports that were on my F30 and W205. With those I bought a space saver which came with a cover and tie downs but only ever put it in the boot if I was going on a long trip, otherwise it stays in the garage.

Only once I've used it when I took in a nail on the Mercedes, i drove home from work swapped it over and took the OEM for repairs
Yes, I'm also happy with Pirellis Zero RFTs. Although wondering whether better ride is partly (wholly?) due to the improved suspension. Have M adaptive which is SO MUCH better than my early gen F30 on standard suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #17
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

I found some pirellis !
Hope they take the corners well
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 10:56 PM   #18
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
Yes, I'm also happy with Pirellis Zero RFTs. Although wondering whether better ride is partly (wholly?) due to the improved suspension. Have M adaptive which is SO MUCH better than my early gen F30 on standard suspension.
These are my stock tyre too. I am curious with go flat tyres would feel like.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 02:29 AM   #19
Denks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 E92

I have potenza run flats on my 335i. I have driven my mates 335 without run flats, and i have to say, it feels much smoother (and less bumpy). But, i the slight in-comfort from the run flats doesn't make up for the inconvenience of having a situation where you have a flat tyre and no spare. There is no way you could fit a spare in the 335.

On a side note, I have heard that you should pump all four tyres to 46 PSI, not just the rear. Is this true? It is apparently to ensure that all four tyres wear evenly.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #20
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denks View Post
I have potenza run flats on my 335i. I have driven my mates 335 without run flats, and i have to say, it feels much smoother (and less bumpy). But, i the slight in-comfort from the run flats doesn't make up for the inconvenience of having a situation where you have a flat tyre and no spare. There is no way you could fit a spare in the 335.

On a side note, I have heard that you should pump all four tyres to 46 PSI, not just the rear. Is this true? It is apparently to ensure that all four tyres wear evenly.
I had an F30 335 with Bridgestone run flats and the recommended tyre pressure was much lower at 38 psi. I had the car for 7 years on the same set of tyres and they all wore evenly at this pressure.
At 46 psi, I suspect you will have rather skittish handling and a harsh ride, and the crown of the tyre will wear much more than the outside edges of the tyre.
I’d be wary of driving on over inflated tyres.
      09-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #21
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denks View Post

I had an F30 335 with Bridgestone run flats and the recommended tyre pressure was much lower at 38 psi. I had the car for 7 years on the same set of tyres and they all wore evenly at this pressure.
At 46 psi, I suspect you will have rather skittish handling and a harsh ride, and the crown of the tyre will wear much more than the outside edges of the tyre.
I’d be wary of driving on over inflated tyres.
+1

My F30 has run flats and I keep the tyre pressures as recommended by BMW on the drivers door card. I don't have ride quality issues with the Bridgestone Potenzas or excessive tyre wear. I haven't found a need to change over to non run flats in the F30 unlike in my previous E90 where the ride quality was not great at all. With my E90 I changed to non run flats and bought a spare to keep in the boot when going on long journeys
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #22
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
This is me too. I have the Pirellis. They seem nice but I'm not confident they will last. Part of my garage is more coarse concrete and you can see where they leave black dust when I turn. I have not seen that before. I think the compound is very soft to make up for the stiffer side wall.

I too wonder what it would be like on some go flats.
Appreciate 0