Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3-Series: What I've learned since taking delivery

04-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #67
johndeere
mhmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: MS3X

Great review but I just can't warm up to the way this car looks. I am excited though for what they do with the m3.
Appreciate 1
Mii387.50
      04-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #68
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
My wallet can, though. Let's see what an LCI brings.
look at the LCI 7 series similar design of the back lights... the design is here to stay for several years...
Very true, thank God we all have choices to make, like "other" manufacturers! Like the song goes "we're not going to take it" hum a few bars
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #69
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Nice review, don't think I've ever read one going that goes as thorough as panel gaps before so thumbs up to the OP, I can appreciate the effort that went into that.
Appreciate 1
Mii387.50
      04-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #70
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Quote:
Quote:
look at the LCI 7 series similar design of the back lights... the design is here to stay for several years...
Very true, thank God we all have choices to make, like "other" manufacturers! Like the song goes "we're not going to take it" hum a few bars
Exactly, if you don't like it go to the next brand!! It might not be as good as BMW but at least you'll have the "pretty" back lights that you'll be happy with!!! 🤘🏻🤘🏻
      04-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #71
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly, if you don't like it go to the next brand!! It might not be as good as BMW but at least you'll have the "pretty" back lights that you'll be happy with!!! 🤘🏻🤘🏻
To be honest, aesthetically it's fine. Price tag for a 4 banger manufactured in Mexico, is absurd! But you've noticed this. Needless to say, I like my German cars manufactured in some crazy place, like Germany
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
Jbrock22221.50
      04-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #72
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

G20 Driving Dynamics Configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
How does the track package compare to the standard MSport suspension and also to the previous M3 in terms of handling?
M sport differential in track pack took the corners really well. Similar kind of sharp turn then accelerate through feel as in F80 with same Sport damping setting on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Will a G20 tighten up to M sport firmness or can it tighten to M proper firmness?
G20 provided individual configuration through iDrive with combination of settings among damping, steering, engine, and transmission. In terms of driving dynamics on damping, Sport setting is similar to F80 Sport setting firmness while retaining ride comfort. Comfort mode on G20 is less rebound compared to Comfort mode on F80.

The result of comparison is not apple to apple as F80 is riding on 20" wheels while G20 is on 19", both non RFT.

G20 Driving Dynamics Configuration: (software v11/2018.75)

Sport:
- Damping (Sport / Comfort)
- Steering (Sport / Comfort)
- Engine (Sport / Comfort)
- Transmission (Sport / Comfort)
Comfort:
- Balanced setting
Eco Pro:
- Damping (Sport / Comfort)
- Steering (Sport / Comfort)
Adaptive:
- Predictive adjustment of vehicle setting for driving situation

Name:  g20_sport_mode.jpg
Views: 1955
Size:  271.3 KB
Name:  g20_ecopro_mode.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  263.1 KB

Last edited by Mii; 04-06-2019 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2019, 10:38 PM   #73
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengunnlee View Post
Is that a oem windowshade? Wondering if the F30 one fits the new one.
Good eyes! It's an older OEM version without BMW marking on it. Carried over from several previous gen 3er and now on G20. The F30 OEM version with BMW marking on it will also fit G20 nicely.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 12:25 AM   #74
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To be honest, aesthetically it's fine. Price tag for a 4 banger manufactured in Mexico, is absurd! But you've noticed this. Needless to say, I like my German cars manufactured in some crazy place, like Germany
This whole thing about cars being assembled in Mexico is also getting old. The price is right up there with the other European brands.
BMW manufactures part of the X line in the US for years are those pure GERMAN CARS?
Or is it the part of MEXICO that you don't like. Other European brands as well as AMERICAN brands are in MEXICO.
You need to understand that unless you pay close to 100k for a "pure" German car you will have to get used to the fact that lesser models will be made through out the world to save cost.
      04-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #75
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This whole thing about cars being assembled in Mexico is also getting old. The price is right up there with the other European brands.
BMW manufactures part of the X line in the US for years are those pure GERMAN CARS?
Or is it the part of MEXICO that you don't like. Other European brands as well as AMERICAN brands are in MEXICO.
You need to understand that unless you pay close to 100k for a "pure" German car you will have to get used to the fact that lesser models will be made through out the world to save cost.
Does not effect me in the least since I purchase "M" cars. As for the "saving cost" yes, BMW itself is saving a bundle while jacking up the MSRP across the board, quite touching. Nothing against Mexico so be careful with what you insinuate. This mighty defense of the BMW brand is ridiculous, unless you work the assembly line?? Anyways, this discussion may have taken a turn for the worse, let's put it to rest Over and out.....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #76
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I "sat" and poked around in a 330i Msport @ the local BMW dealer yesterday showroom. Left my cell in my X3M40i...didn't take any pictures.

The color was the "new blue" some here on the forum are all excited about. Black wheels....looked sharp....but I'm a "silver" cars owner.

This Msport had all the options....sticker $61K.....yikes....for a 4 banger !

I sat in the front seats.....very comfortable IMO. Seemed a bit more padded in the butt than the great seats in the M40i.
Appreciate 1
Mii387.50
      04-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #77
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thats funny because the price went up despite it obviously being cheaper to make...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #78
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Does not effect me in the least since I purchase "M" cars. As for the "saving cost" yes, BMW itself is saving a bundle while jacking up the MSRP across the board, quite touching. Nothing against Mexico so be careful with what you insinuate. This mighty defense of the BMW brand is ridiculous, unless you work the assembly line?? Anyways, this discussion may have taken a turn for the worse, let's put it to rest Over and out.....
Nah, I'll back you. Mexicans suck. They painted my house and did my dry wall . Awful job.

I have 2 guitars. 1 US and 1 Mexican. I had to rewire the Mexican one by hand because they did a terrible job and it fell apart.

BMW wants in on cheap labour to boost profits like GM and Audi.

If you buy a Mexican 3 series your going to get exactly that.

If Americans cared at all, which they clearly don't, you'd think they would skip the G20 on principle. bMw could have tooled in Spartanburg. They opted for Mexico.
Do a euro delivery of your 3.

Apparently 70% of these will be leased and the vast majority of leasers won't care about anything but the badge.
Appreciate 1
DML967.50
      04-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #79
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nah, I'll back you. Mexicans suck. They painted my house and did my dry wall . Awful job.

I have 2 guitars. 1 US and 1 Mexican. I had to rewire the Mexican one by hand because they did a terrible job and it fell apart.

If Americans cared at all, which they clearly don't, you'd think they would skip the G20 on principle. bMw could have tooled in Spartanburg. They opted for Mexico.

Apparently 70% of these will be leased and the vast majority of leasers won't care about anything but the badge.
My first auto was a VW Jetta made in Mexico, I'll spare you the details, like the saying goes "fool me once..."
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #80
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Just wanted to pick up on your impressions of the H/K sound system. Did you have an F30 that you're comparing this to? I'd like to know whether there has been an improvement in the sound as I've read that previous iterations have been a bit average.
Having said that, I have H/K in my E92 and I enjoy it. Would have been nice for BMW to offer another brand of speakers as well here, like B&W, B&O, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #81
Costello1991
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White 135is

ill definitely skip this generation.
      04-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #82
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:

Look, the US american workers in Spartanburg managed to build X5's and other BMW X models at such a satisfactory quality so that europeans don't have a big problem with buying them even though they are from the states. I'm sure the mexican plant will manage just as well in time.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #83
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thats funny because the price went up despite it obviously being cheaper to make...
Hmmm is called inflation. The buying power of the US greenback is less and less as each year goes by. Prices on products go up and salaries remain stagnant. So a $61K "4 banger" is not really that off the charts.

You should see the retail prices of BMWs 20-30 years adjusted for inflation in today's money.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #84
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm is called inflation. The buying power of the US greenback is less and less as each year goes by. Prices on products go up and salaries remain stagnant. So a $61K "4 banger" is not really that off the charts.

You should see the retail prices of BMWs 20-30 years adjusted for inflation in today's money.
2001 purchased my "6" 325i(1st bimmer) 33K loaded and out the door. Might add manufactured in of all places, Germany. Is my opinion that difficult to comprehend? This topic seems to drift further away with every post. BTW, 61K for a "4 banger" is absolutely absurd. Tip....Buy a Civic and pocket the coin, thank me later
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #85
baki777
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: M2, 525d e61, 525i e39

my thoughts. This car looks like an audi.
I was so interested in buying a M3 pure. I hope they will add some agressive lines to the M models. Otherwise I definitvely skip..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #86
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Someone has to stop the nonsense congrats OP on a very nice and good looking ride optioned out well
Appreciate 2
530iDriver1707.50
Mii387.50
      04-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #87
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

2001 purchased my "6" 325i(1st bimmer) 33K loaded and out the door. Might add manufactured in of all places, Germany. Is my opinion that difficult to comprehend? This topic seems to drift further away with every post. BTW, 61K for a "4 banger" is absolutely absurd. Tip....Buy a Civic and pocket the coin, thank me later
Hmm that's interesting, what makes you say that?

I am not in the market for a G20 nor any new car at the moment and hopefully for the next 5 years.

BTW $33K in 2001 equals to $47K in today's money, a cumulative rate of inflation of 43%. Alarming how our money is worth half of its buying power in only 18 years. It will take another 20 years to pay nearly $70K for a base 3-Series

And was that $33K a negotiated out the door price or the window sticker price? I am sure it was the former. Was what the sticker price of that 2001 325i, loaded? Perhaps closer or inching towards $40K grand?

While the E46 was a nice car for its time, I am sure it didn't even have half of the safety systems, manufacturing advances, better quality and interior amenities found in a new G20. I am sure it was loaded for what you could get or configure a new E46 back then.

Also as a former owner of an '11 E90, I can confidently say that while old BMWs with the N/A in-line sixer were fun to drive they were also on the slow side....

Any new G20 with the B46 turbo engine will run circles around any E36/ E46/E90 with the N/A six with far better fuel economy. And the ZF 8-speed automatic will wipe the floor with any manual or automatic offering on any E chassis 3 series.

You mention the Civic? I have never had any interest in present day renditions of Japanese econoboxes. Not only they are eye sores but the quality and reliability that Honda was once known for has also gone down the drain. And yes I was a former Honda/Acura owner. My last Honda product (1997 Acura 2.5TL "Loaded")was let go 20 years ago to never look back.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #88
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm that's interesting, what makes you say that?

I am not in the market for a G20 nor any new car at the moment and hopefully for the next 5 years.

BTW $33K in 2001 equals to $47K in today's money, a cumulative rate of inflation of 43%. Alarming how our money is worth half of its buying power in only 18 years. It will take another 20 years to pay nearly $70K for a base 3-Series

And was that $33K a negotiated out the door price or the window sticker price? I am sure it was the former. Was what the sticker price of that 2001 325i, loaded? Perhaps closer or inching towards $40K grand?

While the E46 was a nice car for its time, I am sure it didn't even have half of the safety systems, manufacturing advances, better quality and interior amenities found in a new G20. I am sure it was loaded for what you could get or configure a new E46 back then.

Also as a former owner of an '11 E90, I can confidently say that while old BMWs with the N/A in-line sixer were fun to drive they were also on the slow side....

Any new G20 with the B46 turbo engine will run circles around any E36/ E46/E90 with the N/A six with far better fuel economy. And the ZF 8-speed automatic will wipe the floor with any manual or automatic offering on any E chassis 3 series.

You mention the Civic? I have never had any interest in present day renditions of Japanese econoboxes. Not only they are eye sores but the quality and reliability that Honda was once known for has also gone down the drain. And yes I was a former Honda/Acura owner. My last Honda product (1997 Acura 2.5TL "Loaded")was let go 20 years ago to never look back.
Turbo, really? I don't purchase BMW to conserve fuel, My ZCP drives in sport+ also prefer the natural aspirated version of past. On the 325 side,47k still less than 61k, made in Germany a plus, hydraulic steering, drove like a bimmer. Of coarse my price was intensely negotiated, don't we all? Why so defensive about the brand? We all have various opinions in life, which I respect. Let's just say we agree to disagree, works for me Enjoy your new G20!!
Appreciate 0