Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Dashcam installation Thinkware U1000 124X battery

07-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Dashcam installation Thinkware U1000 124X battery

Hi
I was going to stick this in @SteveAus 's dashcam thread about dashcams, but thought maybe easier to search if it goes in its own thread.
I had as installer in Melbourne come and do it, so not much glory for me here. But here's a quick rundown:

- I bought a Thinkware U1000 in a recent Autobarn sale. Came with hardwire kit and 32Gb card.
- I got Orlando from https://www.getinstalled.com.au/ to provide the Blackvue 124X battery when he did the install. Mainly because it has a USB port to power other devices.
- I borrowed my mother-in-law's spare 3G dongle and stuck a spare work sim in it.

There was some faffing around with cables because the two brands aren't 100% compatible. I reached out to both Blackvue and Thinwkare before buying anything, but neither was ready to commit and say their product would work with the other maker's device. They said they hadn't tested them. Really? You don't get the opposition's product in and play with it just a little?

Luckily I had planned ahead and bought a fairly long USB extension cable (the blue in the photos). So this allowed the modem to be located somewhere accessible whilst the battery is under cover near the car battery.

I had some issues making the U1000 connect to the hotspot from the dongle. At the end I ended up making it connect to a hotspot from my mobile phone, then when I tried the dongle it worked. So either lucky or this sequence is needed.

Unfortunately the connection speed of the dongle and/or sim is low. This means I can't get a connection to the server all the time, and when I do, it sometimes drops out. So I'll keep this set up for now (since it's free) to get an idea of how often I use it and what sort of a data plan I'll need, before deciding to invest in a 4G modem and a better plan.

Some photos for your enjoyment:
Attached Images

Last edited by Slideit; 07-14-2020 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:12 PM   #2
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Hi
I was going to stick this in @SteveAus 's dashcam thread about dashcams, but thought maybe easier to search if it goes in its own thread.
I had as installer in Melbourne come and do it, so not much glory for me here. But here's a quick rundown:

- I bought a Thinkware U1000 in a recent Autobarn sale. Came with hardwire kit and 32Gb card.
- I got Orlando from https://www.getinstalled.com.au/ to provide the Blackvue 124X battery when he did the install. Mainly because it has a USB port to power other devices.
- I borrowed my mother-in-law's spare 3G dongle and stuck a spare work sim in it.

There was some faffing around with cables because the two brands aren't 100% compatible. I reached out to both Blackvue and Thinwkare before buying anything, but neither was ready to commit and say their product would work with the other maker's device. They said they hadn't tested them. Really? You don't get the opposition's product in and play with it just a little?

Luckily I had planned ahead and bought a fairly long USB extension cable (the blue in the photos). So this allowed the modem to be located somewhere accessible whilst the battery is under cover near the car battery.

I had some issues making the U1000 connect to the hotspot from the dongle. At the end I ended up making it connect to a hotspot from my mobile phone, then when I tried the dongle it worked. So either lucky or this sequence is needed.

Unfortunately the connection speed of the dongle and/or sim is low. This means I can't get a connection to the server all the time, and when I do, it sometimes drops out. So I'll keep this set up for now (since it's free) to get an idea of how often I use it and what sort of a data plan I'll need, before deciding to invest in a 4G modem and a better plan.

Some photos for your enjoyment:
Ooh nice work Slideit , let us know how you go once you have had a play
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Ooh nice work Slideit , let us know how you go once you have had a play
I couldn't connect to live view last night. So I assumed lots of bad things: No power from the USB when ignition is off, the modem disconnects devices if they're idle too long, faulty camera...

But seems all good to day. Gave it a wash and got a few "impact" notifications. So it's all working I guess.

next test is to leave it in a dodgy neighbourhood and see what happens.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0