Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Stiffer exhaust hanger?

09-12-2023, 02:39 PM   #1
CanonEOS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Stiffer exhaust hanger?

Current part number: 18308699962

Installed my AWE Track Edition exhaust which sounds and performs awesome, but I'm getting more rattling than I'd like, but I already had my BMW technician make some adjustments without making the pipes look off.

I see that Bilstein sells one, but does anyone have any experience?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 08:32 PM   #2
nimonery
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Following this as well! I’ve got the AWE track on mine and I am getting vibration/buzzing as well. Main points are the rear deck and the plastic covering that has the media buttons under the control knob.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 02:07 PM   #3
CanonEOS
Private
United_States
Rep

I removed the exhaust tips and the rattling went away, so I think while AWE told me that there should be no rattling whatsoever...the 4.5" tips are the cause
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 09:43 AM   #4
CanonEOS
Private
United_States
Rep

I am going to install smaller exhaust tips (M Performance) which will suffice
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 04:25 PM   #5
CanonEOS
Private
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

I replaced the exhaust tips with these I got from Advance Auto Parts!

Although these are quite long, I was able to push them in to my liking and cleared easily.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...007/12518895-P

Very easy to install, but you will need a 10mm ratcheting wrench and tighten the bolts evenly to align it, but I no longer have any rattle and still looks good!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 12:41 AM   #6
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i ZTR

Are the awe tips the same type of fitment as the stock tips? Having a similar issue with the stock black line tips on a stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 02:31 PM   #7
nimonery
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimonery View Post
Following this as well! I’ve got the AWE track on mine and I am getting vibration/buzzing as well. Main points are the rear deck and the plastic covering that has the media buttons under the control knob.
So I guess my issue was difference than yours but I'll update in case anyone else happens to have this issue. Rear buzzing was fixed with a bit of felt tape in between the rear window glass and rear deck lid. Idrive knob buzzing fixed with a bit of tape as well... hoping to find a more permanent solution for this one though.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 10:28 AM   #8
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimonery View Post
So I guess my issue was difference than yours but I'll update in case anyone else happens to have this issue. Rear buzzing was fixed with a bit of felt tape in between the rear window glass and rear deck lid. Idrive knob buzzing fixed with a bit of tape as well... hoping to find a more permanent solution for this one though.
Had that same rattle and used tape as well to take care of the rear buzzing...very surprised this issue seems to be "common". My gf's LCI m340i also has the same rattling in that rear upper deck area; both of which were there prior to us installing exhausts on both our cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 10:45 PM   #9
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can you elaborate a bit more on where exactly you placed the tape and which parts you removed (if any) to access?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 1
chrish_22114.00
      10-26-2023, 01:40 PM   #10
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
Can you elaborate a bit more on where exactly you placed the tape and which parts you removed (if any) to access?

Thanks!!

Yes! Did not need to remove anything and the specific area where I placed the piece of tape was the corner where the brake light meets the upper window trim part (passenger side of the upper brake light). This was done to essentially decrease the gap between the trim and window.

I didn't think it would actually help, but I have not heard any buzzing/rattling since. I know it's not a real fix, but I am too lazy to do anything else lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 03:55 PM   #11
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Went out today and had a helper start the car while I listened from behind. the sound is definitely metallic and coming from the muffler itself or near the muffler.

There may well be rattles inside the car too (rear deck etc.) but nothing I can discern at this time, and have definitely localized the sound I'm hearing to the muffler (or within a few inches of the muffler).

Interestingly if I push UP on the muffler during cold start, the problem goes away, but if I pull DOWN on it, it gets worse. Back to OP's suggestion, it almost seems like the vibration is being transmitted through the exhaust hangers??

i.e. when I take pressure off the exhaust hangers, it's fine, but when I pull down, it stretches the hangers enough that the vibrations from the muffler make it back to the car through the stretched (and thus less compliant) rubber hangers.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 01:34 PM   #12
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
Went out today and had a helper start the car while I listened from behind. the sound is definitely metallic and coming from the muffler itself or near the muffler.

There may well be rattles inside the car too (rear deck etc.) but nothing I can discern at this time, and have definitely localized the sound I'm hearing to the muffler (or within a few inches of the muffler).

Interestingly if I push UP on the muffler during cold start, the problem goes away, but if I pull DOWN on it, it gets worse. Back to OP's suggestion, it almost seems like the vibration is being transmitted through the exhaust hangers??

i.e. when I take pressure off the exhaust hangers, it's fine, but when I pull down, it stretches the hangers enough that the vibrations from the muffler make it back to the car through the stretched (and thus less compliant) rubber hangers.

Thoughts?
Have you checked the middle brace? My understanding is that, depending on the install, it could be very close to the brace or even touching, which could explain the "pulling down" part.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 09:46 PM   #13
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You’re talking about the chassis brace behind the transmission right?

The buzzing sound is coming from right above the rear muffler, so I suppose that could be it, but that doesn’t sound like where the noise is coming from.

Next ideas:
Remove one/both exhaust tips and see if noise continues
Remove one/both exhaust hangers (supporting muffler with jackstands) and see if noise continues

Noise only happens on cold start, so I can only test 5 ish times quickly before engine is too warm lol
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:11 PM   #14
CanonEOS
Private
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

So.....I went with different tips that are working absolutely great right now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SJSKH6B...t_details&th=1

Very inexpensive and simply clamp on better.

No rattle whatsoever...they are perfect.

I also replaced the main pipe clamps with:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YDFL859...t_details&th=1

So far so good
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 09:53 PM   #15
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So your awe tips were the culprit of the rattling? I just removed my black m-sport oem tips and my rattling went away as well. I wonder…is it the tips themselves rattling, or is it the weight, placement, etc of the tips causing rattles elsewhere in the system? Very odd!
Appreciate 0