Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Crash on leased car

12-20-2023, 08:31 PM   #1
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Crash on leased car

My neighbor was pulling forward when his 330i was hit by an oncoming car at high speed. The driver stopped a long distance away and my neighbor drove off after some time. He beleives he may be at fault and leaving without reporting further complicates things.

I told him to call insurance but he's convinced this won't work in his favor: it will go on his record and his insurance premium could go up. He's just convinced of culpability.

In a nutshell: the dealership is offering him $15K less than the pay off amount; he's considering paying the $15K out of pocket and then order a new car from the dealer.

What does the community think? Would you still recommend some way of getting insurance to pay for this? I figure someone here must have had a simar experience. How did you approach it?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 08:52 PM   #2
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

Your neighbor is involved in an accident, thinks he's at fault, and wants to hide everything from everyone? Depending on the damage to the other vehicle, that's a felony.

The least of his problems will be car insurance. I'd advise calling the police and reporting everything on a proactive basis. At a minimum, I'd talk with a lawyer and be 100% truthful.
Appreciate 1
tex26702421.50
      12-20-2023, 09:41 PM   #3
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
Your neighbor is involved in an accident, thinks he's at fault, and wants to hide everything from everyone? Depending on the damage to the other vehicle, that's a felony.

The least of his problems will be car insurance. I'd advise calling the police and reporting everything on a proactive basis. At a minimum, I'd talk with a lawyer and be 100% truthful.
This. If there was extensive damage and your neighbor drove off, that's a crime. Forget about the dealership buying it; they need to get a lawyer involved.
      12-20-2023, 09:53 PM   #4
Stag77
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
What does the community think?
We think your neighbor is a real swell guy. The time for your neighbor to decide what the right thing to do was on the side of the road, where he should've accepted responsibility for his actions like an adult. If this comes back to bite him, he totally deserves it.

What's absolutely mind boggling about this is that he's willing to pay $15K out of pocket, but having his insurance premiums go up is a no no?
Appreciate 3
peelerec1032.00
EXE462101.50
      12-20-2023, 10:30 PM   #5
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes I agree which is why I advised getting insurance involved in the first place. In fact I had also advised filing a police report a day after the fact (since insurance would likely ask) but maybe there's more to the incident that I'm not aware of.

FWIW: the car is equipped with Drive Recorder, I asked to see it but he claimed it didn't trigger. I thought drive recorder should work in all crash events. I have it too on my car and it's set to Auto record - sure hope it works!
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2023, 12:06 AM   #6
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

This smells fishy. There's something your neighbor isn't telling you.
      12-21-2023, 01:59 AM   #7
Darryl79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 330i

Quote:
Yes I agree which is why I advised getting insurance involved in the first place. In fact I had also advised filing a police report a day after the fact (since insurance would likely ask) but maybe there's more to the incident that I'm not aware of.

FWIW: the car is equipped with Drive Recorder, I asked to see it but he claimed it didn't trigger. I thought drive recorder should work in all crash events. I have it too on my car and it's set to Auto record - sure hope it works!
I did the trial of the Drive recorder but forgot to enable it. The day after, I'm driving back and I almost hit a moose. No footage for me.

So, silly question, but did he turn his on and configure it correctly?
      12-21-2023, 04:59 AM   #8
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl79 View Post
So, silly question, but did he turn his on and configure it correctly?
Not sure; I didn't ask. Interestingly my brother backed into a concrete reinforced wall last month and damaged the rare bumper cover but his car didn't record the incident even though Drive Recorder is set to Auto. Yet I've seen someone post on this forum a Drive Recorder footage of them getting T-boned at standstill at a traffic light.

So between my neighbor and my brother I would've expected some recording - my brother for sure has it enabled for AUTO recording.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2023, 10:44 AM   #9
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Maybe your neighbor was impaired and didn't want to compound his other felonious actions?

Regardless, he is guilty of a felony and it he later tries to report this as a hit and run where he is the victim, he adds fraud.

Also, this is a lease. BMW will have required him to provide proof of insurance and they may report it.

As Stagg77 stated, swell guy.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 12:05 PM   #10
monkeyman8
Monkeyman8
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340ix, 2024 M8 Vert

Strange thread. Begins with "he believes he may be at fault" and should he file with insurance. Nothing mentioned about doing the right thing. He should file a report with the police.

Yeah, swell guy. Who are these people?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 12:32 PM   #11
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
My neighbor was pulling forward when his 330i was hit by an oncoming car at high speed. The driver stopped a long distance away and my neighbor drove off after some time. He beleives he may be at fault and leaving without reporting further complicates things.
How exactly did this happen? Did your neighbor back out/pull forward from a driveway without checking oncoming traffic? The other driver stopped far away, was that other car disabled?

Was there any witness (e.g. other neighbors, nest camera) to this incident? Your neighbor may not be 100% at fault dependent on the circumstances.

I do agree the incident should be reported to insurance and police.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 01:20 PM   #12
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
How exactly did this happen? Did your neighbor back out/pull forward from a driveway without checking oncoming traffic? The other driver stopped far away, was that other car disabled?

Was there any witness (e.g. other neighbors, nest camera) to this incident? Your neighbor may not be 100% at fault dependent on the circumstances.

I do agree the incident should be reported to insurance and police.
Pulled forward but he said he didn't see the other car approaching. He said the car was moving at high speed - I believe it based on the level of damage I saw on the car. He said there were no witnesses or cameras which is why I was asking to see the Drive Recorder footage.

Yes I told him he may or may not be at fault — that is something for insurance to decide. But since he basically left the scene without calling the police it just makes matters more complicated. Hit-and-run essentially. But IMO still not late to make a police report and call insurance but I sound like a broken record because his mind seems to be made up not to report it. I told him the other driver might have seen his license plate - in which case that won't be good.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 03:15 PM   #13
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Pulled forward but he said he didn't see the other car approaching. He said the car was moving at high speed - I believe it based on the level of damage I saw on the car. He said there were no witnesses or cameras which is why I was asking to see the Drive Recorder footage.

Yes I told him he may or may not be at fault — that is something for insurance to decide. But since he basically left the scene without calling the police it just makes matters more complicated. Hit-and-run essentially. But IMO still not late to make a police report and call insurance but I sound like a broken record because his mind seems to be made up not to report it. I told him the other driver might have seen his license plate - in which case that won't be good.
I think your friend is setting themselves up for a bad outcome.

Keep in mind a car is designed to come apart to bleed off energy. A low speed impact can do a lot of damage.

And given your friends level of honesty, I wonder if the recording got deleted.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 03:21 PM   #14
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
You have a really shady neighbor
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 4
Dan B303.50
madpistol1747.50
      12-21-2023, 07:34 PM   #15
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
I told him the other driver might have seen his license plate - in which case that won't be good.
Did it happen when your neighbor pulled forward from driveway? If so, the other driver knew the address, right?

Your neighbor's actions do not sound logical.
Appreciate 1
EXE462101.50
      12-21-2023, 09:34 PM   #16
RCook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

If not reported to the Insurance, then likely not DMV
And, if the car is repaired and resold, the accident will not be on CarFAX.
Why you never believe CarFAX, alway have a body shop inspect used car, even if dealer sold.
Likewise, get service records from SERVICE Manager, not the salesguy.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 05:28 AM   #17
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Did it happen when your neighbor pulled forward from driveway? If so, the other driver knew the address, right?

Your neighbor's actions do not sound logical.
No didn't happen in driveway.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 06:57 PM   #18
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
So, the other driver took a minute to stop, but he did stop and your neighbor saw this and knows this. So, presumably the other driver was expecting your neighbor to approach him in some way to address what happened. Then your neighbor made the decision to drive away leaving the other driver hanging. Did I get all of that right?

As the other posters have mentioned your neighbor committed a crime and possibly a felony. Nothing he does at this point is going to result in a good outcome for him. BMWFS requires him to have insurance and to use it, not try to turn in a damaged car to avoid using the insurance or dealing with the legal system.

I’m guessing the odds are virtually 100% your neighbor was drunk. That’s basically the only logical explanation for this situation. Has he said or have you asked him?

The bottom line is your neighbor has screwed the pooch and he should prepare for some serious unpleasantness.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

12-22-2023, 07:14 PM   #19
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
So, the other driver took a minute to stop, but he did stop and your neighbor saw this and knows this. So, presumably the other driver was expecting your neighbor to approach him in some way to address what happened. Then your neighbor made the decision to drive away leaving the other driver hanging. Did I get all of that right?

As the other posters have mentioned your neighbor committed a crime and possibly a felony. Nothing he does at this point is going to result in a good outcome for him. BMWFS requires him to have insurance and to use it, not try to turn in a damaged car to avoid using the insurance or dealing with the legal system.

I’m guessing the odds are virtually 100% your neighbor was drunk. That’s basically the only logical explanation for this situation. Has he said or have you asked him?

The bottom line is your neighbor has screwed the pooch and he should prepare for some serious unpleasantness.
Yes that's my assessment of the situation too.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 03:54 PM   #20
Archie68
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i GC

Your neighbors story sounds like a bunch of BS. Time to pony up.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 09:43 PM   #21
ham340
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Hope you didn't give that neighbor a house key...
Appreciate 0