Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Did anyone get the Parking Assistance Package just to have the surround view camera?

02-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #23
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

i ordered it just for the 360 cameras. I don't really need help parking, but I hate having to look over and make sure im 1' from the sidewalk, but not too close, or too far and having to readjust my parking. Or maybe scraping a tall parking block, or maybe scraping when at a parking lot with one of those automated machines you get a ticket out of and trying to get close enough to the machine without hitting a wheel.

Was worth it just to not have to do it over and over and the peace of mine. I hope it works well (havent gotten my car yet)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #24
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
i ordered it just for the 360 cameras. I don't really need help parking, but I hate having to look over and make sure im 1' from the sidewalk, but not too close, or too far and having to readjust my parking. Or maybe scraping a tall parking block, or maybe scraping when at a parking lot with one of those automated machines you get a ticket out of and trying to get close enough to the machine without hitting a wheel.

Was worth it just to not have to do it over and over and the peace of mine. I hope it works well (havent gotten my car yet)

I wound up ordering it just for the cameras as well. I know there were a few times in my current car the I pulled too far into a spot and scraped the parking block, and turned to close to the curb hitting the wheel. Hopefully the extra cameras will help avoid that.

Do the cameras activate at a certain speed or can they be programmed to come on manually?

The only caveat is more technology means more things can go wrong. I hope the additional cameras aren't prone to malfunction and frequent repair down the line.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #25
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
I've got the pack on mine, I find that while parking forwards I have to turn the camera on manually but reverse brings them up automatically
Attached Images

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 2
Conezz103.00
      02-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #26
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguycalleddb View Post
I've got the pack on mine, I find that while parking forwards I have to turn the camera on manually but reverse brings them up automatically
It should come on automatically when parking forwards as you get close to the object.

Mine even comes on when in stand still traffic on the motorway and I get a bit too close lol and also does the same when things are close to the side of the car.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #27
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
Quote:
It should come on automatically when parking forwards as you get close to the object.

Mine even comes on when in stand still traffic on the motorway and I get a bit too close lol and also does the same when things are close to the side of the car.
Wonder if I've missed a setting somewhere, I've always got to press the button

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #28
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wonder if I've missed a setting somewhere, I've always got to press the button
I have to say it does seem really close to the object sometimes uncomfortably close lol
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #29
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Damn. The image stitching is really horrible. I test drove an S7 and A7 a week back and that was so much better than what BMW has done! I didn’t see how it was in the M550i I drove right after. But if it was the same, that’s pretty bad.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #30
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Damn. The image stitching is really horrible. I test drove an S7 and A7 a week back and that was so much better than what BMW has done! I didn’t see how it was in the M550i I drove right after. But if it was the same, that’s pretty bad.
Doesn't have to be perfect, just useful. It's a safety feature, not a TV.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #31
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conezz View Post
Doesn't have to be perfect, just useful. It's a safety feature, not a TV.
It’s a safety feature in Audis too. Doesn’t mean it couldn’t have been better. In the second photo aguycalleddb posted, the car next to his car looks weirdly out of proportion and the lower part of the car isn’t visible. Idk how that will be helpful while parking.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #32
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It’s a safety feature in Audis too. Doesn’t mean it couldn’t have been better. In the second photo aguycalleddb posted, the car next to his car looks weirdly out of proportion and the lower part of the car isn’t visible. Idk how that will be helpful while parking.
Understood. Guessing that the real time camera view is what all the fuss is about. Just wanting to make sure you don't bump anything while parking is where it's at. Most people probably hardly ever use the remote view feature or auto park feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #33
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Understood. Guessing that the real time camera view is what all the fuss is about. Just wanting to make sure you don't bump anything while parking is where it's at. Most people probably hardly ever use the remote view feature or auto park feature.
Yup. The surround cameras by itself are useful. What I meant was bmw could have done a better job stitching images from all the cameras for the 3D surround view.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #34
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yup. The surround cameras by itself are useful. What I meant was bmw could have done a better job stitching images from all the cameras for the 3D surround view.
Gotcha. Maybe future software updates will improve that?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #35
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well BUMMER ...

Salesman said car didn't enter 150 status on Saturday and was able to add it and was waiting for confirmation.

Called back today to tell me it went in production over the weekend and now can't be added.

Not sure where the uncertainty was but now I'm a bit bummed. Thanks for your replies.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #36
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:

It will trigger if you're close, but one thing that I used to notice is that when I was in reverse and would then go forward, it used to switch to the forward camera. After my software update to 7/2019, it no longer switches to the front view and I have to manually switch the front view.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:11 PM   #37
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well BUMMER ...

Salesman said car didn't enter 150 status on Saturday and was able to add it and was waiting for confirmation.

Called back today to tell me it went in production over the weekend and now can't be added.

Not sure where the uncertainty was but now I'm a bit bummed. Thanks for your replies.
Don’t worry too much about it. The car is still great. Even without the surround cameras.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #38
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Don’t worry too much about it. The car is still great. Even without the surround cameras.
Also true--my loaner car was an X3 with just the parking sensors, and it was more than enough. the surround view is cool, but definitely not necessary.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      02-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #39
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:51 PM   #40
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Do the extra cameras help at all to avoid scraping the front on a parking block or the side wheels on the curb? In other words, how useful is it?
I use it all the time very helpful but carful not foolproof
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:51 AM   #41
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Quote:

It will trigger if you're close, but one thing that I used to notice is that when I was in reverse and would then go forward, it used to switch to the forward camera. After my software update to 7/2019, it no longer switches to the front view and I have to manually switch the front view.
I would take it back to the dealer as it's not right.

I had quite a few issues after the last software update and in the end had to email BMW direct.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 10:28 AM   #42
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone else notice that the front and 360 cameras don’t show the front parking blocks when pulling into a spot?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 10:44 AM   #43
GOTOFMS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

It's one of the options I regret not getting. I've scraped a few times parking.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 12:08 PM   #44
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTOFMS View Post
It's one of the options I regret not getting. I've scraped a few times parking.
Scraped the front bumper? Don’t regret not getting it.

The PA doesn’t help with front curbs or parking blocks once you get to 24” proximity they disappear and the sensors do not engage at all because they are below proximity. You still have to get out and check to make sure you are close enough but not too close. You cannot rely on the system to prevent front bumper rash underneath as a result. If you did, you will learn the hard way unfortunately. Kind of a pointless design by BMW.
Appreciate 1
GOTOFMS76.00