Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Can't decide if the M340i is the right car for me

01-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #23
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

get the non runflats on the m340i too. When I had a f30 328i m-sport, I swapped the runflats out and it made quite a difference in ride quality. Didn't help the interior trim, but the G20 obviously has much nicer interior than the F30
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #24
PennSt8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i, 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
Prior to this 3 series, I had: (2) F30s, an F33 and an F36. All were assembled with excellent fit and finish. Yes, the interior was a bit staid but things were laid out in a logical manner.

Optioning the interior with an appropriate color and trim, should do a lot to improve the overall ambiance. Yes, there are more rigid plastics at the lower portion of the door card but they aren't offensive. Honestly, anything in this price class is going show some sign of cost cutting. Where the G20 rises above the F Series cars, IMO, is overall refinement. This is where I believe these cars punch above their class.

Honestly, I would spring for an M Sport 540i. Option it properly and think you will get what you are after. Access to BMW Individual options make a big difference.
      01-29-2020, 10:21 PM   #25
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I’ve had many bmw’s. The 5’s can be very luxurious if you spec them with the comfort seats and all the niceties. You def give up a LOT in terms of driving dynamics. Spec an M3 properly and you are hard pressed to find a better driving car.

BMW has done an excellent job with the m340. Again it needs to be built the right way with non run flats and the active suspension, but it is an excellent car that will run circles around the competition. In its current form the M340 strikes a near perfect balance between sport and luxury. I’ve had 3 M3s. I seriously considered the X3M competition this time around. Got out of the X3 and into the M340 and for me there was no comparison. The m340 is the best all around sedan they’ve come up with in YEARS. Makes the 550 feel like a Buick.

If you enjoy driving you simply can’t go wrong.
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5888.50
      01-29-2020, 10:31 PM   #26
DCDeac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I'm 1,200 miles in and simply love the car. The "to each their own" thing is always true to an extent, but maybe in the m340i sense it's even more true.

Short of comparing it to a car that costs $30k+ more, I have a complete disconnect with folks who sit in a Giulia or the S5 sportback or the G70 and rate the G20 lower than them. Maybe it's my setup, alpine white, black leather with blue stitching, open pore wood - but even my Mercedes snob friends are impressed. The dash wrapping the screen instead of it looking like someone bolted an iPad to the dash looks infinitely better than most other cars in the class. Overall the tech is excellent, I didn't think I'd touch the auto driving stuff but I use it all the time. I have 2 child seats in the back and in comfort mode it just cruises like some comfy sedan. Then in sport plus the shift choices mimic how I'd drive my old manual 335i, the burbles are aggressive, the power is legitimately exhilarating. The balance is perfect, the ride is firm, steering tightens up nicely. It's just fun, like the "I'd rather order takeout so I can driver there" kind of fun.

The dr. jekyll/mr. hyde aspect is perfect from me, but I definitely get how it could leave both the high-end luxury or the pure sports car folks wanting. Folks solidly on either side will likely get annoyed by the reality that nothing can be everything to everyone.

As an aside, speaking of how opinions can differ... I simply can't believe anyone gets the silver trim in these cars. First time I saw it I thought it looked cheap and horrible. Couldn't believe how often I saw it. But I guess folks love it. I can't relate.
Appreciate 4
      01-30-2020, 05:43 AM   #27
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post
I'm 1,200 miles in and simply love the car. The "to each their own" thing is always true to an extent, but maybe in the m340i sense it's even more true.

Short of comparing it to a car that costs $30k+ more, I have a complete disconnect with folks who sit in a Giulia or the S5 sportback or the G70 and rate the G20 lower than them. Maybe it's my setup, alpine white, black leather with blue stitching, open pore wood - but even my Mercedes snob friends are impressed. The dash wrapping the screen instead of it looking like someone bolted an iPad to the dash looks infinitely better than most other cars in the class. Overall the tech is excellent, I didn't think I'd touch the auto driving stuff but I use it all the time. I have 2 child seats in the back and in comfort mode it just cruises like some comfy sedan. Then in sport plus the shift choices mimic how I'd drive my old manual 335i, the burbles are aggressive, the power is legitimately exhilarating. The balance is perfect, the ride is firm, steering tightens up nicely. It's just fun, like the "I'd rather order takeout so I can driver there" kind of fun.

The dr. jekyll/mr. hyde aspect is perfect from me, but I definitely get how it could leave both the high-end luxury or the pure sports car folks wanting. Folks solidly on either side will likely get annoyed by the reality that nothing can be everything to everyone.

As an aside, speaking of how opinions can differ... I simply can't believe anyone gets the silver trim in these cars. First time I saw it I thought it looked cheap and horrible. Couldn't believe how often I saw it. But I guess folks love it. I can't relate.
You and I are so aligned on this view, especially how the car is a Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Very well stated.
      01-30-2020, 06:32 AM   #28
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

All I said was that the M340i is not a luxury car. I didn't get mine for the luxury. It was chosen based on driving dynamics , utility and performance above even the tech. A 7 or 8 series is luxury. Saying the G20 is not a luxury car does not diminish the car in anyway.
      01-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #29
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

To compare the M550i to the M340i is odd as they really serve two very different markets and feel NOTHING alike in ride or handling.

The 3 is a spitfire toy car. It sticks to the ground, has a very balanced weight/feel and is simply fun to drive. The interior is fine, but no, it's not the 5. I wouldn't want to drive cross-country, or even 8+ hours, in it.

The 5 is a highway cruiser with a somewhat odd distribution of weight. When you push that engine hard, the nose always dips. I didn't like driving it in the city as the turning radius is weak... Flipping a U is not always easy. Sure, the engine was incredibly strong, but I didn't always like feeling the stretch in the turbo. Again, better for highway and long drives than in the city.

The M340i has no lag and that inline 6 is tuned beautifully.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #30
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSt8 View Post
Prior to this 3 series, I had: (2) F30s, an F33 and an F36. All were assembled with excellent fit and finish. Yes, the interior was a bit staid but things were laid out in a logical manner.

Optioning the interior with an appropriate color and trim, should do a lot to improve the overall ambiance. Yes, there are more rigid plastics at the lower portion of the door card but they aren't offensive. Honestly, anything in this price class is going show some sign of cost cutting. Where the G20 rises above the F Series cars, IMO, is overall refinement. This is where I believe these cars punch above their class.

Honestly, I would spring for an M Sport 540i. Option it properly and think you will get what you are after. Access to BMW Individual options make a big difference.
IF you are looking for a "drivers" car the M340 is a MUCH better choice. Not to mention... start messing with individual colors and options you are going to spend a LOT more money for that 5 series.

That's fine, but expect a car that floats on the highway and gets out of shape easily in the twisties. The 5 series is a heavy car that has lost its way in the handling department.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 02:16 AM   #31
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
To compare the M550i to the M340i is odd as they really serve two very different markets and feel NOTHING alike in ride or handling.

The 3 is a spitfire toy car. It sticks to the ground, has a very balanced weight/feel and is simply fun to drive. The interior is fine, but no, it's not the 5. I wouldn't want to drive cross-country, or even 8+ hours, in it.

The 5 is a highway cruiser with a somewhat odd distribution of weight. When you push that engine hard, the nose always dips. I didn't like driving it in the city as the turning radius is weak... Flipping a U is not always easy. Sure, the engine was incredibly strong, but I didn't always like feeling the stretch in the turbo. Again, better for highway and long drives than in the city.

The M340i has no lag and that inline 6 is tuned beautifully.
What about for M340 vs X5 in terms of long distance? I go from the bay area down to Socal once or twice a year, but go to Tahoe (4 hours each way with no traffic) almost every weekend when it's snowboarding season. If I do a day trip it's 4 hours of driving, 6-7 hours of snowboarding, and another 4 hours of driving. I'd say 90% of my snowboarding trips are quick day trips like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 12:48 AM   #32
IMBoris
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i (G31)

I went from G31 to G21. For sportier/engaging driving the G21 is much better.

The 540i has the Nappa leather and comfort seats. The 330i (chose the smaller engine due to better handling, no x-drive and less weight are noticeable from a handling perspective) has the full merino leather. From a quality/luxury perspective the full leather really puts it close to the 5-series, in that sense it never feels as a step back.

Seats are perfect for me, however there is nothing like the comfort seats in the 5-series, especially with ventilation and massage options.

Yesterday I did my first really long trip (1080km) with the 330i and did not miss the 5-series at all. Got out of the car fresh. The agility of the 3 really is adding some extra to it in the alps and the city driving.

I never liked the previous 3-series in either driving nor quality feel, the new one to me is a different level.

Btw - I opted for the adaptive suspension, in comfort that is really good, with sport giving it a noticeable sportier drive.
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      02-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #33
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

If you are looking for a sporty car, the 3 series in 30i or 40i will do just fine, especially since you've been driving a civic and already like the X3's interior and driving dynamics, it should feel very similar and give you no negative surprises and will be very easy to feel comfortable in (same seats and similar layout/handling).

For luxury, go with a 5-series, but what you give up in the 5-series is handling/driving dynamics. As a previous G30 owner (totaled) the 540 and 550 are very good luxury cars - comfortable, quiet, great materials - however the driving dynamics are very un-BMW like, which is why I went elsewhere. However if you don't mind the lack of engaging handling, the 5 is a good luxury car, although I like the X5's new interior even more than the 5er's.
      02-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #34
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Both the M550i and the M340i are geared for luxury, but at a different price point. Obviously, the M340i is cheaper, but I find it acceptable in its price range. I have some issues with the button placement and design, but with all the boxes checked, you will have some nice tech and a cabin that is pleasant to sit in.

If you are cross shopping the $80k M550i you should also consider the X3M Competition. I have driven both the M340i, M550i, M5, X3M Competition, and M850i. The most surprising was the X3M Competition in BOTH luxury and straight line performance. It's an absolute beast. The interior is closer to the M550i in terms of quality and design, but it's an actual M car which means it gets all the bells and whistles that stand out above the M Performance versions. The M5 and X3 Competition have very similar interiors:

X3M Competition:

M5 Competitoin:

More pics I took of the XM3 Competition:

The X3M Competition is not only faster, but nicer inside than the M340i for good reason, it simply costs more. The caveat is that it's a SAV, and not a sedan, but surprisingly, the X3M Comp handles very very well. The stiffer suspension and lower CG is what makes the M340i handle the way it does, which was quite impressive when I took it through the autocross. However, if you want a soft cushy ride, the M340i isn't going to give you that and the interior is a step down from both the M550i and X3M C.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 02-04-2020 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
kwg2031.50
      02-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #35
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Usually, if you have to ask, is it not the right car for you. When you know, you know.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #36
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Both the M550i and the M340i are geared for luxury, but at a different price point. Obviously, the M340i is cheaper, but I find it acceptable in its price range. I have some issues with the button placement and design, but with all the boxes checked, you will have some nice tech and a cabin that is pleasant to sit in.

If you are cross shopping the $80k M550i you should also consider the X3M Competition. I have driven both the M340i, M550i, M5, X3M Competition, and M850i. The most surprising was the X3M Competition in BOTH luxury and straight line performance. It's an absolute beast. The interior is closer to the M550i in terms of quality and design, but it's an actual M car which means it gets all the bells and whistles that stand out above the M Performance versions. The M5 and X3 Competition have very similar interiors:

X3M Competition:

M5 Competitoin:

More pics I took of the XM3 Competition:

The X3M Competition is not only faster, but nicer inside than the M340i for good reason, it simply costs more. The caveat is that it's a SAV, and not a sedan, but surprisingly, the X3M Comp handles very very well. The stiffer suspension and lower CG is what makes the M340i handle the way it does, which was quite impressive when I took it through the autocross. However, if you want a soft cushy ride, the M340i isn't going to give you that and the interior is a step down from both the M550i and X3M C.
That is a seriously gorgeous interior. I love the two tone tan / black leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #37
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Why don't you go test drive an M340i? BMW has made a huge jump in interior quality for the CLAR cars. The X3 is going to be comparable to the 3 series. The X5 and 5 series are obviously going to be a step up in luxury, but those also lose some of their sportiness. These are not questions you can effectively answer on an internet forum as everyone will give an opinion usually just based on what they have. This is the type of thing you have to go to a dealership for and evaluate on your own.
Appreciate 0