Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Electric range suddenly dropped today......

02-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
petejigsaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Electric range suddenly dropped today......

I've had me 330e since October and love it. The electric range indication has always been between 21 and 23, varying depending on ambient temperature.

However, today, I charged the car at work and popped out to the local supermarket at lunchtime - it said 'fully charged' and it indicated only 19 miles. I got back and plugged it in again, only for it to say 'fully charged' when I left but again tonight with only 19 miles range showing.

The ambient temperature has been 9 degrees today, warmer than many other occasions, so why the sudden drop in indicated range?

Current software is 07.2019.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Do you make the same lunchtime trip every day?

If not, I suggest the 'collected data' is just reflecting your different use.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:51 AM   #3
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

I’m getting 26 miles of available electric power regularly on the app.
I am puzzled though why it drops to 21 as soon as I activate “Climitise now”
even though the car is connected and able to draw power from the podpoint.
Is the car using stored power to pre condition? I thought the whole idea was to save power by warming before leaving using tethered power?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:07 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
I’m getting 26 miles of available electric power regularly on the app.
I am puzzled though why it drops to 21 as soon as I activate “Climitise now”
even though the car is connected and able to draw power from the podpoint.
Is the car using stored power to pre condition? I thought the whole idea was to save power by warming before leaving using tethered power?
Interested in the answer. I suppose we have to start with the charging rate. More (or less) than 5kWh?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Charging rate is the most likely answer agree with HighlandPete.

The climatise function is probably an in car function, to be fair it might even restrict or curtail charging while heating/cooling is going on. Heaters and Compressors usually have higher current requirements. perhaps to permit a wide range of chargers it assumes that no charge input is capable of running the climatise feature.
Such arrangements are not uncommon in many machines managing power supplies.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex_G20 View Post
Charging rate is the most likely answer agree with HighlandPete.

The climatise function is probably an in car function, to be fair it might even restrict or curtail charging while heating/cooling is going on. Heaters and Compressors usually have higher current requirements. perhaps to permit a wide range of chargers it assumes that no charge input is capable of running the climatise feature.
Such arrangements are not uncommon in many machines managing power supplies.
So is there no point in Pre Conditioning whilst tethered to a power supply?
I must do a tethered and non tethered comparison.

Btw. I’m on a flat rate tariff so there’s no timing in my charging.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So is there no point in Pre Conditioning whilst tethered to a power supply?
I must do a tethered and non tethered comparison.

Btw. I’m on a flat rate tariff so there’s no timing in my charging.
Certainly a good idea to compare, gives the rest of us information as well.

Still interested in your charge rate?

From how I understand it, if you haven't got a high enough charge rate, you have to use some battery capacity, to get enough power to preheat in minimum time. It is why I mentioned 5kWh as the benchmark. Cabin heater has an electric element rated above 5kW.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #8
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Certainly a good idea to compare, gives the rest of us information as well.

Still interested in your charge rate?

From how I understand it, if you haven't got a high enough charge rate, you have to use some battery capacity, to get enough power to preheat in minimum time. It is why I mentioned 5kWh as the benchmark. Cabin heater has an electric element rated above 5kW.
Pete. It’s a 3.6kw charger. I was told that this is the optimum rate for the 330e.
Would explain the drain. I didn’t see any reason to go with the 7kw version at the time of ordering.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #9
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Found this

“ The BMW 330e is fitted with a 3.7 kW on-board charger for AC charging. This means that even when connected to a fast charger with a rated output above 3.7 kW, the BMW 330e will only be able to charge at 3.7 kW”

Would a 7kw charger make any difference to pre heating battery drain?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Found this

“ The BMW 330e is fitted with a 3.7 kW on-board charger for AC charging. This means that even when connected to a fast charger with a rated output above 3.7 kW, the BMW 330e will only be able to charge at 3.7 kW”

Would a 7kw charger make any difference to pre heating battery drain?
This is something I'm also interested in. But as far as I understand, the convenience charging electronics are designed for a maximum electrical power output of 3.7 kW. Doesn't appear any benefit to a higher rate supply.

From 530e data:

Quote:
AC charging
The high-voltage battery unit can only be charged by AC charging with a maximum charging power of 3.7 kW. The charging possibilities for the high-voltage battery unit are generally governed by the national charging infrastructure.
Therefore the preconditioning can use more power than can be supplied to the system.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:54 PM   #11
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

Being quite green at this, I don't have my new car yet so only going on what I have read on here!

My take on this was the charging via a 3 pin socket took quite a bit longer to charge than via an installed home charger. I also understood that as pointed out above max charge rate is 3.7Kwh. Hence my simplistic conclusion was the the 3 pin charge doesn'/cant charge at the max rate!

There has been some chat about this on the X5 45e and people with properly installed wall chargers hardly see a drop in mileage with preconditioning the car. I will have another search..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:31 AM   #12
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

So a quick search on the X5 forum, so not gospel but..

Two things:

1. 45e support only 2.2kW (mode 2) and 3.7 kW (mode 3), confirms what I was thinking above.

2. Preconditioning is two things, one is the heating/cooling of the car, second is heating/cycling of the batteries before departure which helps with range.

I have on order a 45e but following closely here as I am UK based and I assume all these quirks are the same across the cars!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #13
cgwhite
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Hi all, just picked up my 330e last week. I have read somewhere that you can only use the pre-condition remotely if you are connected to a 7kw (16amp) without it affecting the main battery. I installed a 7kw power point to charge mine up. 3hrs+ to charge set to charge during economy 7 night rate, but with Solar Panels here as well. Works a dream.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #14
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwhite View Post
Hi all, just picked up my 330e last week. I have read somewhere that you can only use the pre-condition remotely if you are connected to a 7kw (16amp) without it affecting the main battery. I installed a 7kw power point to charge mine up. 3hrs+ to charge set to charge during economy 7 night rate, but with Solar Panels here as well. Works a dream.
So it would seem. An essential factor that I was not (made)aware of when I ordered my 3.6kw Podpoint back in September.
As the 330e can’t charge faster with a 7kw system I assumed the slightly cheaper 3.6kw charger was all that was required.

Enough with the smugness please

Last edited by Vossy; 02-06-2020 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #15
petejigsaw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do you make the same lunchtime trip every day?

If not, I suggest the 'collected data' is just reflecting your different use.
I do all sorts of trio lengths, but the car is regularly charged from empty to full.

I'm a little hacked off that when I picked up the car, it was regularly showing 26 miles after charging, then dropped to 23-24 from late November. Sonce the start of January, its fallen first to 21 then 19. The ambient temperature hasn't really changed from when the car was showing 23-24, so I'm puzzled why it's now even lower. I don't use preconditioning and always use Eco-Pro mode when normal driving.........
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:49 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejigsaw View Post
I do all sorts of trio lengths, but the car is regularly charged from empty to full.

I'm a little hacked off that when I picked up the car, it was regularly showing 26 miles after charging, then dropped to 23-24 from late November. Sonce the start of January, its fallen first to 21 then 19. The ambient temperature hasn't really changed from when the car was showing 23-24, so I'm puzzled why it's now even lower. I don't use preconditioning and always use Eco-Pro mode when normal driving.........
When you say temperature hasn't really changed, do you mean day, or night time temperatures? Colder battery, more cabin heat, both eat away at EV miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #17
petejigsaw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
When you say temperature hasn't really changed, do you mean day, or night time temperatures? Colder battery, more cabin heat, both eat away at EV miles.
This reduction is most evident when leaving work (4.30-5pm), when the car has been charging all day and without using pre-conditioning (as that actually consumes battery as well as mains power, because the overall load needed is 5Kw and the car can only charge at 3.7kw ish).

The persistent degradation in battery performance is not what I was expecting and means that rather than being able to commute to and from work on one charge, its now only doing one and a half trips.

If mobile phone batteries dropped their performance this much over a few months, the whole world would be complaining! I'm going to book it in to get it checked, as the software is still the original from when built........
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 05:00 AM   #18
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

l wonder if having the ability to stop the preconditioning would help? If you could stop it say 20 minutes before driving off, the cabin would still have be ok and you’d have that extra 20 mins to top up the battery before setting off.
Appreciate 0