Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Suffered the wrath of the EV community today...

01-20-2020, 05:07 PM   #23
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d, Porsche Boxster

One of the big upcoming challenges is charger hogging.

The local grid won’t support an infinite number of chargers, so availability will always have a limitation.

This is when BEV gets really inconvenient and starts to impinge on daily life.

I’d be apoplectic if I was at a hotel and couldn’t have a few beers as I’d need to move my car at 11pm.

When you read posts etc from EV ‘evangelsts’ they always say ‘just a bit of planning’ which often turns out to be taking a convoluted route to a destination so they can get a charge and an hour sat in a soul destroying service station. Apparently planning this is enjoyable!

I run an LPG campervan, which will also run on unleaded. Planning LPG stops in the UK can be a PITA, but at least I have unleaded as a backup and LPG is more widely available in Europe.

EV charging in most of Europe is even more of a hassle than in the UK.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #24
F172GLD
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M-Sport

I was in a Morrison’s Car Park today with 2 ‘tethered’ charging points supplied by GeniePoint. Having previously read this thread by Cranester1983 about Rapid Charge points being only for full EV cars, I emailed GeniePoint to ask them if I could charge my PHEV and they said it was fine to do so!
I didn’t actually use it on this occasion but next time I will, and if I then get challenged by any full EV drivers thinking they have priority, to me it’s fair-game and it’s ‘first come, first served’!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #25
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

That's the kind of attitude that will cause fighting and even murders at EV charging stations. There will soon be too few rapid chargers to cope at busier times - if I was in a full EV with next to no charge and a space was being hogged by someone charging a PHEV at a pathetic charge rate just to get them a few miles on electric, I'd be pretty hacked off.

Went to the gym for my regular triathlon class tonight and, as usual, all 4 EV spaces were taken up by non-EVs.

Even though I'm only getting a PHEV, I will end up blocking at least one of these people in and trailing my charging lead over their car to the charge point...

I think I may start taking photos and shaming them on the leisure centre Facebook page.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Do you guys know there is a thing called "Charge Point Etiquette"

Here's a jpg copy of the pdf document, published by DriveElectric.

https://www.drive-electric.co.uk/charging/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #27
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The problem with PHEVs is that they charge at a glacial rate compared with a full BEV, so as a PHEV owner you do need to be very aware that your charge to save you money which takes an age, blocks a charger from someone who can take on a rapid charge and may need it to get home.

Personally, I think there needs to be 2 kinds of spaces - with separate bays for PHEVs, especially as they're going to explode on the market over the next few years, replacing most diesel use.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #28
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

In all of this I'd never considered charging etiquette before or thought about "charge rage"

With the level of impatience and aggression that seems to be in evidence on the roads today I can see this being a potential problem if the infrastructure doesn't get ramped up quickly enough .
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #29
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I've just sent a note to the council responsible for the gym car park asking them when they're going to start taking action against people parking ICE cars in EV charger spaces...

I also asked if they could deal with those who have difficulty differentiating between their car and a motorbike whilst they're at it.

(Mind you, they could start with all those parking on double yellow lines and causing chaos on the road to the leisure centre because they're too lazy to walk from the car park to the centre. Defies all logic, that one!)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #30
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

I’ve ordered a 330e which I will put on charge when a space is available and when it’s charred I’ll move it. I’m fairly sure that’s reasonable and whilst I appreciate a full EV driver might not agree it’s difficult when they are fully flat but I’m also trying to optimise my mileage and be a tiny bit more eco than driving a diesel. I can not get a full EV on my company scheme and given by driving patterns it would be impossible/very hard to make a full EV work. The network is so small it can’t cope but that’s UK infrastructure in a nutshell IMHO.
Appreciate 1
tricky6239.50
      01-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #31
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

It's not really reasonable - especially on rapid chargers - you'd be sticking your hybrid on charge for around 2-3 hours if it's empty, during which time, a handful of EVs could have added over 200 miles of charge each.

I'll only do it where I can see the charger and move if someone with a full EV needs it or where there are a number of slower chargers ('destination chargers') so it's unlikely to massively inconvenience a full EV driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #32
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

Not totally sure I agree but as I say I’ll move when I can but the infrastructure is the real problem not PHEV take up. IMHO
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #33
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

We are pushing people into BEV and PHEV faster than the infrastructure is being developed.

The biggest hit is yet to come when WLTP hits in April and essentially kills the diesel company car off with everyone going PHEV instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #34
cgwhite
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Interesting set of posts... I had a situation this morning where I wished to consider driving to Ely train station and using the Polar Charger there whilst I went up to London for the day.

Firstly, the charging point is in the season ticket car park. Phone call to NCP to confirm that I could use the season car park. "Yes, if you purchase a day ticket". Cost £6.50. Then looked at the Polar cost. Minimum of £1.20. Only a 7kw charger so with a 330e it takes 3.5 hrs to fully charge. Now the crunch... There is a £10 charge per hour for any time on the charger over 90 minutes. So to charge my 330e would cost at least £22+.

I suggested to them that surely the point of having a charger in a station car park was for those who were using the train. I might be wrong but that charger is never going to get used. You only get stung once.

There is going to be a big issue with PHEVs sitting on charging points around the country. Is 15 years long enough to get charging points in every part of the country. Oh I could go on! The only serious way to have a 330e in my view is to charge at home. I have Economy 7 and 4kw of solar panels. 80p to charge up overnight.

Serious thinking going to have to go into providing charging points to all. In car nuclear reactors may be a better way to go. If a submarine can be nuclear powered why not a car.

The 330e is a great car. Sport mode when you run out of electric is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #35
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwhite View Post
If a submarine can be nuclear powered why not a car.
Well, just for starters nuclear submarines cost around $2.8bn each...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #36
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Interesting set of posts... I had a situation this morning where I wished to consider driving to Ely train station and using the Polar Charger there whilst I went up to London for the day.

Firstly, the charging point is in the season ticket car park. Phone call to NCP to confirm that I could use the season car park. "Yes, if you purchase a day ticket". Cost £6.50. Then looked at the Polar cost. Minimum of £1.20. Only a 7kw charger so with a 330e it takes 3.5 hrs to fully charge. Now the crunch... There is a £10 charge per hour for any time on the charger over 90 minutes. So to charge my 330e would cost at least £22+.

I suggested to them that surely the point of having a charger in a station car park was for those who were using the train. I might be wrong but that charger is never going to get used. You only get stung once.

There is going to be a big issue with PHEVs sitting on charging points around the country. Is 15 years long enough to get charging points in every part of the country. Oh I could go on! The only serious way to have a 330e in my view is to charge at home. I have Economy 7 and 4kw of solar panels. 80p to charge up overnight.

Serious thinking going to have to go into providing charging points to all. In car nuclear reactors may be a better way to go. If a submarine can be nuclear powered why not a car.

You need to move to Octopus Energy's EV tariff. Only costs just over 50p to fully charge between 12:30 and 4:30am. IM me if you want a code to get a £50 rebate. Have been running my 330e for 5 months now and our electricity bills have hardly change at all... A few months back I did 1750 miles in a month (1k company and 750miles personal) and it only cost me £60 in personal fuel :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #37
seacow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e - incoming, 1989 E30 316i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
It's not really reasonable - especially on rapid chargers - you'd be sticking your hybrid on charge for around 2-3 hours if it's empty, during which time, a handful of EVs could have added over 200 miles of charge each.

I'll only do it where I can see the charger and move if someone with a full EV needs it or where there are a number of slower chargers ('destination chargers') so it's unlikely to massively inconvenience a full EV driver.
I think the difference is between rapid and fast chargers. Agree that putting a 330e on a rapid isn’t worth it and certainly shouldn’t be left. Destination chargers are fair game and first come first served in my view. And I have experience as a BEV and PHEV driver.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #38
Fred321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Quote:

How does the cars sport mode differ with electric or without electric?

Also is Xtraboost a mode / button to press?
Appreciate 0