Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Reversing passenger mirror adjustment.

01-31-2020, 07:41 AM   #1
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Reversing passenger mirror adjustment.

Can someone be kind enough to tell me how to adjust the passenger side mirror for when reversing.

Currently it automatically adjusts to far to the ground. I'm hoping its the same in everyones' G20 and they haven't just go it switched around in mine.

So, in my old F30 to engage the side mirror tilt when reversing the left/right mirror selector is set to the left. And when you are reversing it tilts but you could adjust after it had tilted and it would memorise the position for next time.

Now in the G20, the left/right selector has to be selected to the right mirror to engage the reverse tilt. And when in reverse, trying to adjust the position of the left mirror, because the selector is on the right it adjusts the right mirror. When I select the lift mirror it disengages the tilt so adjusting the mirror is doesnt alter the reverse tilt position.

01-31-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
Can someone be kind enough to tell me how to adjust the passenger side mirror for when reversing.

Currently it automatically adjusts to far to the ground. I'm hoping its the same in everyones' G20 and they haven't just go it switched around in mine.

So, in my old F30 to engage the side mirror tilt when reversing the left/right mirror selector is set to the left. And when you are reversing it tilts but you could adjust after it had tilted and it would memorise the position for next time.

Now in the G20, the left/right selector has to be selected to the right mirror to engage the reverse tilt. And when in reverse, trying to adjust the position of the left mirror, because the selector is on the right it adjusts the right mirror. When I select the lift mirror it disengages the tilt so adjusting the mirror is doesnt alter the reverse tilt position.

Don't think this is possible as far as I know, mine is either all the way down or not at all.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post

Same issue here. I don't think it helps if you are tall, as it exaggerates the downward view. My old F36 used to be perfect when reversing.
BMW ancestry: G20 M340i, F36 440i Gran Coupe M Sport, F30 330d M Sport (RIP), F30 328i M Sport / E90 330D LCI, 330D, 325i / E46 325i, 320i / Merc 250 D AMG (listed to remind me never to buy another Merc!)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

It can be adjusted via coding. If you don't want to do it yourself, you could ask the dealer. There is definitely an option to set the degrees of tilt, but its hidden for some reason.
Appreciate 2
Andy3661121.50
      02-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
F172GLD
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M-Sport

If you set the L/R electric mirror selector switch to the right side, then when reversing, the left side mirrors dips. (Not sure why it’s the right side that’s dips the left) 🤔
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Unfortunately, nothing can be done about that. It tilts way too much and all I see is the ground, which isn’t useful considering what I’d rather see.
I wish it was like in the Audis where it makes sense and we can set it to whatever height we want and the mirror will remember it the next time you put it in reverse.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #7
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by F172GLD View Post
If you set the L/R electric mirror selector switch to the right side, then when reversing, the left side mirrors dips. (Not sure why it’s the right side that’s dips the left) ��

Because the setting has to be switched to whichever side of the car the driver is sat. On LHD BMWs you have to move the setting to the left to get the right-side mirror to tilt downwards.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:07 AM   #8
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

When you select reverse, the passenger door mirror drops by a preset number of degrees. Something I have discovered is that if you start with the mirror angled a little higher, then it drops when reversing to the correct position. The disadvantage of course is that you end up driving with the mirror in a “normal” position higher than you would like and have to be careful not to compromise safety.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by F172GLD View Post
If you set the L/R electric mirror selector switch to the right side, then when reversing, the left side mirrors dips. (Not sure why it’s the right side that’s dips the left) 🤔
Thanks for this! I had a 220d for 3 years and could never understand what made it dip or not. Same with my 330e since Oct, in fact, I’d started to think I’d imagined it did this at all! Flicked the switch to the right today, reversed and away it went, dipping like a perfectly dipping dippy thing! This has been slightly bugging me! Simple when you know how/why!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #10
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Is this standard on the g series without any packs as the dipping passenger mirror is only mentioned as part of the premium pack.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:54 PM   #11
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Not standard. The configuration options are however not clear to me on this one.
      02-07-2020, 01:14 AM   #12
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiGijzen View Post
Not standard. The configuration options are however not clear to me on this one.
I’m pretty sure folding/dipping mirrors are standard on all UK variants.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:03 AM   #13
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire330e View Post
Thanks for this! I had a 220d for 3 years and could never understand what made it dip or not. Same with my 330e since Oct, in fact, I’d started to think I’d imagined it did this at all! Flicked the switch to the right today, reversed and away it went, dipping like a perfectly dipping dippy thing! This has been slightly bugging me! Simple when you know how/why!
Did you not think to look in the instruction manual?
Appreciate 0