Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion I think Tesla will be gone in ten years

06-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #1981
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Not until we move past lithium battery technology and into solid state batteries, I don't see much in terms of wide spread adoption of EVs. 5 minute full charge is a must.
When Tesla Model 3 is outselling BMW 3er, Mercedes C Class, and Lexus IS combined...

I'd say the writing is all over the wall ‼️
Where is this happening? I don't see many Model 3s on the road and I live in the very populated suburbs of NYC
There aren't that many here in LA either. I see a fair amount of Tesla's, but the numbers aren't anything close to a 3 Series or C Class.
https://europe.autonews.com/automake...-rivals-europe

Also outselling then in North America as well.

Search for yourself.
That article is about EUROPE. You also need to read the fine details.
Same in North America.

Tesla just got to Europe recently.

Search away if you don't believe me.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #1982
///M TOWN
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not until we move past lithium battery technology and into solid state batteries, I don't see much in terms of wide spread adoption of EVs. 5 minute full charge is a must.
When Tesla Model 3 is outselling BMW 3er, Mercedes C Class, and Lexus IS combined...

There aren't that many T3's on the road relative to 3'ers, so I don't even know how that's possible (..although I did read the one month report about sales in the EU; granted, the T3 is a new car and the C Class and 3 series have been around awhile). Tesla buyers have also been waiting for the T3 since 2017 - deposits and all - so I can understand the short term surge. The article also considered that wagons sell far more than sedans in the EU, and sedans count for less than one quarter of BMW/Mercedes EU sales. People expect something different from BMW; Tesla buyers look for different things in a vehicle.
There will be.

They are like the Prius' absolutely everywhere.
The Prius is not a premium vehicle that competes with German manufacturers. The price point is different as well. A person shopping for a Prius is not shopping for a BMW or Mercedes.
I never said they were premium.

Just showing up everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #1983
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Where is this happening? I don't see many Model 3s on the road and I live in the very populated suburbs of NYC
There aren't that many here in LA either. I see a fair amount of Tesla's, but the numbers aren't anything close to a 3 Series or C Class.
https://europe.autonews.com/automake...-rivals-europe

Also outselling then in North America as well.

Search for yourself.
That article is about EUROPE. You also need to read the fine details.
He also said outselling the Germans COMBINED. Not true as per the article
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1222.50

06-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #1984
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There aren't that many T3's on the road relative to 3'ers, so I don't even know how that's possible (..although I did read the one month report about sales in the EU; granted, the T3 is a new car and the C Class and 3 series have been around awhile). Tesla buyers have also been waiting for the T3 since 2017 - deposits and all - so I can understand the short term surge. The article also considered that wagons sell far more than sedans in the EU, and sedans count for less than one quarter of BMW/Mercedes EU sales. People expect something different from BMW; Tesla buyers look for different things in a vehicle.
There will be.

Everywhere where? I just got back from a 1700 mile road trip throughout Italy and I saw a total of 5 Tesla's.

So no Tesla's in Italy
We've established barely any in NY Metro and LA.

Where are they all? San Francisco?
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #1985
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Quote:
Everywhere where? I just got back from a 1700 mile road trip throughout Italy and I saw a total of 5 Tesla's.

So no Tesla's in Italy

From my experience... yes. They're all in California. The amount of insufferable people bragging about "driving" a Tesla is heinous
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #1986
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I live in NYC, most garage is crap with regard to charging otherwise I might have bought Tesla instead 540...

I really look forward when BMW can deliver 600hp with 3700 lb...

Electric vehicle instant torque is addicting, can't see how combustion engine can compete in the long run, I understand how everyone talk about emotional attachment but just imagine the day when you're always the last to be off the line on traffic light and always slowest to merge on the highway...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #1987
Maverik259
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 50i

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I live in NYC, most garage is crap with regard to charging otherwise I might have bought Tesla instead 540...

Electric vehicle instant torque is addicting, can't see how combustion engine can compete in the long run, I understand how everyone talk about emotional attachment but just imagine the day when you're always the last to be off the line on traffic light and always slowest to merge on the highway...
I'm good today with not needing to recharge every 150 miles for hours....that's not going to get crazy better. Recharge rates will marginally improve but last time I check my phone doesn't charge instantly and they've been out for decades. And the more powerful "m" type cares are just going to EAT EAT EAT them batteries up the way we drive them. Which means good for daily and that's it.

Maybe Europe will have the infrastructure for that many electric cars but the US sure won't. Lol. We can barely repave a road in a reasonable amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #1988
Maverik259
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 50i

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Maybe Europe will have the infrastructure for that many electric cars but the US sure won't. Lol. We can barely repave a road in a reasonable amount of time.
What ever happened to the 80s???? Oh ya we just time traveled right by them
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #1989
///M TOWN
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There will be.

So no Tesla's in Italy

There are a grip load in LA.

Maybe not in the Ghetto parts of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #1990
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 SS/SO 2016

EV's are only a trend! We don't have anyway enough ressources to built millions of them and an electric car is just a regular car with an external combustion engine. They drive green locally but they create the same pollution in another place to produce electricity. 87% of worldwide electricity is based on coal, fuel or nuclear production. Extraction or rare earth to make the electric engine and the battery is not really eco friendly.
Appreciate 1
blockdoc232.00

06-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #1991
///M TOWN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
EV's are only a trend! We don't have anyway enough ressources to built millions of them and an electric car is just a regular car with an external combustion engine. They drive green locally but they create the same pollution in another place to produce electricity. 87% of worldwide electricity is based on coal, fuel or nuclear production. Extraction or rare earth to make the electric engine and the battery is not really eco friendly.

Cool story brosef.

Why not spread your FUD elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #1992
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There will be.

So no Tesla's in Italy

Umm, most of LA is ghetto.....and the areas that aren't have high end autos. I've patrolled LA's freeways and streets for years. I have a pretty good idea about what's on LA's streets overall.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #1993
///M TOWN
Rep

Quote:

Cool story brosef.

Why not spread your FUD elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #1994
///M TOWN
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There will be.

So no Tesla's in Italy

Umm, most of LA is ghetto.....and the areas that aren't have high end autos. I've patrolled LA's freeways and streets for years. I have a pretty good idea about what's on LA's streets overall.
I see them everywhere in LA.

Maybe you have tunnel vision.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #1995
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
A trend? Sorry, you are delusional.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN2634.00

06-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #1996
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There will be.

So no Tesla's in Italy

Sure, that makes a whole lot of sense. I'm a car enthusiast who cites cars. Trust me, I notice everything. I see more than what's in your personal bubble.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #1997
///M TOWN
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There will be.

So no Tesla's in Italy

Sure, that makes a whole lot of sense. I'm a car enthusiast who cites cars. Trust me, I notice everything. I see more than what's in your personal bubble.

I miss nothing.

Maybe stop making such ridiculous assumptions.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #1998
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 SS/SO 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
A trend? Sorry, you are delusional.
Ah ah! In 2015 there was 1.2 billions vehicles in use worldwide...in 2017 there was 3,5 Millions electric cars in use...do you maths...electric vehicles is 0,0029 %...this is equivalent to BMW worldwide production in 2018. Manufacturers do not have any choice but to sale electric car to meet climate regulations and to be accepted in the new society standards that everything must be clean, green and zero emissions.

Some electric cars owners think that they are a good thing for the planet, other only want to save some money (to be demonstrated) while others they just want to drive the ultimate "fancy" popular electric car brand...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:42 PM   #1999
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I'm good today with not needing to recharge every 150 miles for hours....that's not going to get crazy better. Recharge rates will marginally improve but last time I check my phone doesn't charge instantly and they've been out for decades. And the more powerful "m" type cares are just going to EAT EAT EAT them batteries up the way we drive them. Which means good for daily and that's it.

Well technology moves a lot faster than we thought in the past few years I have to say..., NYC (read Manhattan) doesn't have a lot Tesla, a ton in CT/NJ burbs though.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #2000
chriscam95
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 335is

Quote:
...an electric car is just a regular car with an external combustion engine. They drive green locally but they create the same pollution in another place to produce electricity. 87% of worldwide electricity is based on coal, fuel or nuclear production. Extraction or rare earth to make the electric engine and the battery is not really eco friendly.
Itís time to put this myth to rest...
https://jalopnik.com/enough-with-the...-bu-1834338565
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 11:14 PM   #2001
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:

It will take a tremendous amount of time, money and effort to get the US infrastructure ready for mass adoption of electric vehicles. Short highway stretches and local roads take YEARS to be simply repaved. Let's also not forget the increased demand from our power grids when everyone starts charging these cars, which in turn increases fossil fuel emissions since we still burn coal for a lot of our power needs. It's still a while off and not as clean as everyone thinks until we find more efficient, cleaner ways to generate energy.
Appreciate 1
Roch M4139.50

06-25-2019, 11:15 PM   #2002
Nahlem
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s (DD)

Quote:
Ah ah! In 2015 there was 1.2 billions vehicles in use worldwide...in 2017 there was 3,5 Millions electric cars in use...do you maths...electric vehicles is 0,0029 %...this is equivalent to BMW worldwide production in 2018. Manufacturers do not have any choice but to sale electric car to meet climate regulations and to be accepted in the new society standards that everything must be clean, green and zero emissions.

Some electric cars owners think that they are a good thing for the planet, other only want to save some money (to be demonstrated) while others they just want to drive the ultimate "fancy" popular electric car brand...
Actually it all depends on where you live but here is the cold hard truth and you might not like it ICE vehicles will be regulated out of existence that's a thing thats gonna happen.

What won't happen is they won't regulate yet is heavy construction equipment like excavators and such.

Also regulations on Lorries will also take some time sens there isn't to much viable options yet.

But the personal car will be regulated out because most people can actually survive with EV vehicles for their daily driving. What regulators do not take in to account witch is sad but the automotive industry has no one but them self to blame the minute the governments need to step in and regulate for a change to happen then stuff goes down like this. But what i was saying what regulators don't take in to account is road trips for long journeys this ain't a must to do for most people, they do not take in to account fun of a car or how to fun i handles etc.... all the stuff that enthusiasts cherish so much. They only look at the practical parts do people need a car to get to work? If yes, how to we regulate it properly and then stuff like this gets regulated so the car is reduced to a machine that takes you from A to B and that is all.

The automotive industry have been warned so many times over that this would happen and they din't hear it or just din't wan't to listen and now this is going down.

It is happening in the EU it will happen in US and it will surely happen in Canada, I am not necessarily saying electric is the ultimate future we might se alternatives that relies on new form of matter to propel our cars forward.

But its happening and BMW is only making sure they change in time if though they are quite late on the ball to have grabbed the initial storm of customers that own tesla cars right now.

All this crying in this topic is fine for now but there won't be any automakers left who produces ICE vehicles due to all being regulated out and most people i have seen on this forums do change cars quite often so in the end all will be driving electric or an alternative fuel that won't produce emissions locally.

Because they will first regulate the automotive industry witch is at the far end of this line then they will regulated all the energy producers out there because they refuse to change by free will and so they will be forced to.

Fusion power is closer then you might think and when that comes witch it will cause there have been some amazing achievements lately in that department bye bye all form of fossil fuel ways of producing energy.

Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0