Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion NFL's New Policy on Player's/Personnel Kneeling During the National Anthem

05-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #23
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
I would like to recruit for my religion. May I have equal time as well, and I'd like the govt to pay for it.
I donít get it. U.s. military is a religion?
Appreciate 2
MKSixer20205.00
SakhirM410015.00

05-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #24
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

I remember 10 years ago the only time we saw any anthems on t.v were for the superbowl/world series. Who's idea was to televise the national anthem before every game in existence.

05-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #25
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
I remember 10 years ago the only time we saw any anthems on t.v were for the superbowl/world series. Who's idea was to televise the national anthem before every game in existence.
I remember the national anthem played at most sporting events for my whole life. Iím in my 40ís.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410015.00

05-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #26
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I never understood why the military is so involved with American sporting events. This makes perfect sense.
Though you live in very close proximity, you have a very fundamental lack of understanding of what it means to be an American citizen. This is fine, I too, share a lack of understanding of what it means to be a Canadian citizen (subject?).

Our military personnel come from all walks of life, all areas of the country and for the last two-plus centuries have been part of some of the most important events in the history of the world. We aren't perfect and we aren't saints but we have been a force for the overall good of the world since our inception.

I'll never forget the swell of pride I felt when I was 17 and on Costa del Sol in Spain and an aircraft carrier dropped anchor a mile or 2 from the beach. Seeing that representation of the hard work of the citizens and the dedication of our military personnel was something I'll never forget.

Cheers-mk

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 3
SakhirM410015.00
PINeely1003.50
Sea-Tac1383.50

05-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #27
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
I remember the national anthem played at most sporting events for my whole life. Iím in my 40ís.
Televised? I dont. Live of course.
      05-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #28
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 19 S5 SB 19 ZL1 1LE

Quote:
Do you stand for it etc while watching it on tv?
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1383.50

05-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #29
iamwingman
Major
Rep

I have. Not always for sure. I do always take my hat off though. Why? I think it’s a matter of demonstrating respect. Just as I don’t wear a suit when working at home. I respect the country, it’s history, the soldiers, etc.. I don’t need to stand in my living room to show that to myself. I also clap at concerts to demonstrate respect and admiration of a performance, but not sitting at home watching a concert dvd.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410015.00
Sea-Tac1383.50

05-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #30
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
These aren't displays. They are training flights.
*waste of taxpayer money.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #31
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

I literally don't give a fuck.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #32
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
^This, but you hardcore righties claim to want freedom and uphold the constitution yada yada yada, but you are ok with denying about the most basic one to these players because you don't like it? Very interesting.
They can choose to knee and their employer can choose what to do with them and I can choose to watch or not watch. Freedom is choice and everything I listed demostrated choice
Appreciate 2
PR3CI5N488.00
arkie6357.00

05-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #33
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Quote:
^This, but you hardcore righties claim to want freedom and uphold the constitution yada yada yada, but you are ok with denying about the most basic one to these players because you don't like it? Very interesting.
In their free time, go ahead and kneel. When you are at your job being paid a lot of money to play, just play and leave politics out of it. No body watches football for the protest drama.

05-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #34
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
I do not support kneeling on the field during the National Anthem so this new policy is fine with me. If you want to protest, stay in the locker room.
Reading the policy they use the word "should".

There there is no legal definition of the word "Should", and as such, is generally considered a permissive word. It is not a "shall" or "must" which are legal imperatives requiring a certain compliance or action.

Any player who refuses to stand, though it may not be helpful to their career, would not be in violation of the policy.

I don't see it as an organization's attempt to thwart the rights of the players as much as an appeasement, perhaps, to sustained political pressure.

It probably won't work.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #35
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's an interesting observation.
Appreciate 1
minn196615.50

05-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #36
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Reading the policy they use the word "should".

There there is no legal definition of the word "Should", and as such, is generally considered a permissive word. It is not a "shall" or "must" which are legal imperatives requiring a certain compliance or action.

Any player who refuses to stand, though it may not be helpful to their career, would not be in violation of the policy.

I don't see it as an organization's attempt to thwart the rights of the players as much as an appeasement, perhaps, to sustained political pressure.

It probably won't work.
This is from the nfl, not the individual teams. It says should, because the nfl wonít be penalizing players, they will be penalizing teams. Should, in this case, is what the nfl would prefer.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #37
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Though you live in very close proximity, you have a very fundamental lack of understanding of what it means to be an American citizen. This is fine, I too, share a lack of understanding of what it means to be a Canadian citizen (subject?).

Our military personnel come from all walks of life, all areas of the country and for the last two-plus centuries have been part of some of the most important events in the history of the world. We aren't perfect and we aren't saints but we have been a force for the overall good of the world since our inception.

I'll never forget the swell of pride I felt when I was 17 and on Costa del Sol in Spain and an aircraft carrier dropped anchor a mile or 2 from the beach. Seeing that representation of the hard work of the citizens and the dedication of our military personnel was something I'll never forget.

Cheers-mk
I agree and I think it is even more fundamental. It has a very rich historical basis. Think of what it took more than 200 years ago to rip ourselves away from English rule, to establish our constitution, laws and our government; think of what each one of those stars and bars means and the hard work and bloodshed it took to establish statehood to join a union of other states for the common good. God, can you imaging what it took to carry that flag in the front lines of the civil war? When it fell another picked her up and carried it forward -- over and over again. Its humbling.

I was taught to respect the flag as a child by my mom and dad, my schools and church, and I also learned later in life the meaning and importance of our rights. I respect those who have stood, those who stand, those who have fallen and those who kneel.

Last edited by Sea-Tac; 05-23-2018 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
minn196615.50

05-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #38
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have. Not always for sure. I do always take my hat off though. Why? I think it’s a matter of demonstrating respect. Just as I don’t wear a suit when working at home. I respect the country, it’s history, the soldiers, etc.. I don’t need to stand in my living room to show that to myself. I also clap at concerts to demonstrate respect and admiration of a performance, but not sitting at home watching a concert dvd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
They can choose to knee and their employer can choose what to do with them and I can choose to watch or not watch. Freedom is choice and everything I listed demostrated choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
In their free time, go ahead and kneel. When you are at your job being paid a lot of money to play, just play and leave politics out of it. No body watches football for the protest drama.
What does getting paid for it have to do with anything or whether you are at the game or not? You are either for always respecting it or you aren't. Really, you are equate clapping at concert as the same importance/idea as respecting the flag/anthem?

So some of you think respecting the flag (which embodies respecting those who have fought/died for the ideals of the US for which the flag represents) by disrespecting one of the greatest ideals it stands for? By wishing harm on those who decide to use that freedom etc for a cause that has nothing to do with disrespecting veterans etc? Sorry, it just sounds crazy/disingenuous and against what everybody fought for in the first damn place. I find that far more disrespectful to what the flag stands for than kneeling during the anthem etc.

Last edited by minn19; 05-23-2018 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sea-Tac1383.50
Taskmaster2325.00

05-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #39
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
*waste of taxpayer money.
I agree with MK, it is budgeted in as training. If they didn't fly over a stadium they would've used that money to fly somewhere else. It is getting spent regardless.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #40
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

lol at the people saying the nfl enacting this policy is squashing their constitutional rights. You guys are morons.

lol at the people saying this is anti patriotic and they should all stand. you guys are morons

NFL recently made it a policy to have players on the field for games. And even more recently, mainly once they started having the military pay them to advertise for them, is when they started televising. All this is doing is helping the NFL get some of their lost revenue back, by reverting to previous rules.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #41
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:

Ditto.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #42
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Quote:
What does getting paid for it have to do with anything or whether you are at the game or not? You are either for always respecting it or you aren't. Really, you are equate clapping at concert as the same importance/idea as respecting the flag/anthem?

So some of you think respecting the flag (which embodies respecting those who have fought/died for the ideals of the US for which the flag represents) by disrespecting one of the greatest ideals it stands for? By wishing harm on those who decide to use that freedom etc for a cause that has nothing to do with disrespecting veterans etc? Sorry, it just sounds crazy/disingenuous and against what everybody fought for in the first damn place. I find that far more disrespectful to what the flag stands for than kneeling during the anthem etc.
I am always for respecting it. And I always do. Itís a SIGN of respect. I donít need to stand in my living room to signify my respect, there is nobody to signify it to. If you want to though, I think itís great. Itís called being civilized and brought up right. Wear collared shirt to dinner. Call your elders man and sir. Say please and thank you. Wearing clean clothes is a sign of respect and adherence to a dignified society. I might hang around half the day in my underwear when at home on the weekend, not going to go out to a steakhouse in my underwear.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #43
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Standing for the anthem is a way of signifying you respect it. If there is nobody to signify it to, then not necessary. Doesn’t change the way I KNOW I feel.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #44
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Absolutely. Just as if I happen to be walking outside at 0800 when colors are played either at the school across the street or the military base a bit further down the block (I'm still not sure which) I stop and stand at attention.

And no, it's not because I served. Unfortunately, I was "blessed" with insulin-dependent diabetes at a young age and was unable to serve.
Appreciate 1
minn196615.50