Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Features you’ve ended up using more than you thought you would

09-10-2019, 12:50 AM   #45
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
You all seem to be happy with auto hold. Is it because you can let go of the break? What about the fine throttle control when loosening up the brake? During my test drive I disabled the auto hold because I found the gas pedal too responsive compared to what I'm used to by holding and slightly releasing the brakes.
Can you always drive with auto hold on? Or do you have to turn it on, and then turn it off when you drive again? Never really figured it out. I'm assuming you can just leave it on.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 01:26 AM   #46
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
You all seem to be happy with auto hold. Is it because you can let go of the break? What about the fine throttle control when loosening up the brake? During my test drive I disabled the auto hold because I found the gas pedal too responsive compared to what I'm used to by holding and slightly releasing the brakes.
Can you always drive with auto hold on? Or do you have to turn it on, and then turn it off when you drive again? Never really figured it out. I'm assuming you can just leave it on.
Can always drive with auto hold. It applies the e-brake when on full stop.

Releasing happens when you start to drive again. It is very precise.
      09-10-2019, 03:50 AM   #47
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
What exactly do you think "auto" means in auto hold?

I'm really amazed about how many people think you need to disable it before driving. First of all the car would alert you if it was a bad thing, hence cars have been doing for years when driving with the handbrake on. But secondly: what would still be automatic when a driver had to enable and disable every single time they want to use the feature??

Ive read a post about a guy almost being furious at his dad when driving around with auto hold enabled. It's the whole purpose of the automatic feature. So it can automatically be enabled and disabled when necessary.
      09-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #48
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
What exactly do you think "auto" means in auto hold?

I'm really amazed about how many people think you need to disable it before driving. First of all the car would alert you if it was a bad thing, hence cars have been doing for years when driving with the handbrake on. But secondly: what would still be automatic when a driver had to enable and disable every single time they want to use the feature??

Ive read a post about a guy almost being furious at his dad when driving around with auto hold enabled. It's the whole purpose of the automatic feature. So it can automatically be enabled and disabled when necessary.
'Auto' in auto hold can mean its going to auto hold it for you when you engage the button and are stopped. Doesn't imply that you can drive with it on. I read the post about that kid too, that's why I asked to make sure. I figured it can always be on but better to ask and be safe than sorry.

Imagine driving another car which doesn't have this feature and you are so used to it and think its normal operation for all cars, that could go south real fast... I agree it is a great feature to have though.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #49
daveshan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2020 M340i

It's a pretty specific use case, but I really like the Back-up Assistant, which controls steering to help you reverse along the same path that your just drove forward.

We have a two-deep tandem garage, with no more than 2" clearance on each side at the garage door. When exiting from the deeper space, I use the Back-up Assistant, as opposed to "threading the needle" on my own, which I used to do with my slightly narrower E90.

Never thought much about the feature until I started using it. I imagine the more common use would be any time one gets into an area in which it's difficult to back out (parking, one-way alley, etc.)
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 12:26 AM   #50
miked1999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Passenger eject. Finally a solution for that resentful passenger who's kept score of every mistake I've made since we started dating 10 years ago.

Last edited by miked1999; 09-11-2019 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #51
Joro2819
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750LI

Quote:
'Auto' in auto hold can mean its going to auto hold it for you when you engage the button and are stopped. Doesn't imply that you can drive with it on. I read the post about that kid too, that's why I asked to make sure. I figured it can always be on but better to ask and be safe than sorry.

Imagine driving another car which doesn't have this feature and you are so used to it and think its normal operation for all cars, that could go south real fast... I agree it is a great feature to have though.
LOL....this almost was a catastrophic event for me. Three of my BMW'S have auto hold and my 04 X5 doesn't. I was at a light one day in heavy traffic and almost bumped a vehicle in front of me because I use the feature religiously on other vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #52
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joro2819 View Post
LOL....this almost was a catastrophic event for me. Three of my BMW'S have auto hold and my 04 X5 doesn't. I was at a light one day in heavy traffic and almost bumped a vehicle in front of me because I use the feature religiously on other vehicles.
I immediately realized this when I started using this feature "I should use this feature either all the time or never or I'll rear-end someone". So far I haven't been using it but people are convincing me in this thread. The engine start/stop technology probably works better this way also.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #53
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I really dig the optional electric trunk. Surprised by that one. Also really enjoying CarPlay now that it seems to be working. Having Waze and Spotify on my infotainment is great!
Appreciate 3
Pauleebe379.50
ben_mw23.00
      10-14-2019, 02:54 AM   #54
BigWagonFan
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
Drivers assistance... honestly it's so useful (...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanch8 View Post
Parking Assistant, Surround View and especially the Driving Assistant with Jam Assist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Driving Assistant Pro. I just took a 6 hour road trip and the car basically drove itself for over 80% of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Definitely Driving Assistant Pro. Never thought i would use it after driving manuals for 20 year.
Guys, I owe you! I never thought I could use or need that. It also costed me a bit - about $2300. I added it after reading your opinions & watching YouTube videos.

It's absolutely incredible. It drives my car for most of the time on highways. I can barely touch the steering wheel and it keeps my car in lane. I don't think one can explain how useful is that. I cannot imagine any next car without such a feature.

Two more things I didn't expect to use/like so much:
  • Comfort Access. I realized I am so lazy after all
  • BMW Selective Beam of my lasers. I was disappointed with a lack of matrix-like solution but it still works pretty well!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #55
Troy1star
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWagonFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
Drivers assistance... honestly it's so useful (...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanch8 View Post
Parking Assistant, Surround View and especially the Driving Assistant with Jam Assist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Driving Assistant Pro. I just took a 6 hour road trip and the car basically drove itself for over 80% of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Definitely Driving Assistant Pro. Never thought i would use it after driving manuals for 20 year.
Guys, I owe you! I never thought I could use or need that. It also costed me a bit - about $2300. I added it after reading your opinions & watching YouTube videos.

It's absolutely incredible. It drives my car for most of the time on highways. I can barely touch the steering wheel and it keeps my car in lane. I don't think one can explain how useful is that. I cannot imagine any next car without such a feature.

Two more things I didn't expect to use/like so much:
  • Comfort Access. I realized I am so lazy after all
  • BMW Selective Beam of my lasers. I was disappointed with a lack of matrix-like solution but it still works pretty well!
Use my Backup assistance all the time.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #56
M340Mike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate

"Hey BMW..."
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      11-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #57
jmcbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 X-drive 30i

Driver assistance pro- in LA traffic it's surprisingly effective.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 06:54 PM   #58
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340Mike View Post
"Hey BMW..."
Lol, totally agree
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #59
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdkn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietlife View Post
I find the gesture control virtually useless. The volume up and down works (but much easier to use the steering wheel controls), but everything else is very temperamental.
Interesting, sorry to hear your experience is so poor. I honestly think I've had better than 95% success rate (including the custom gesture controls) using this system and I'm absolutely loving it.

I'll admit that I'm also a very hand-talkative type of person, but it has had minor impact on my gesture control system. I'm wondering if this is possibly because of height/body type differences?
The custom gesture for me is navigation to home. Makes putting in directions when I'm traveling home so much faster.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 11:20 PM   #60
xlpacman805
CEO of Sunset Rally Group
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i M Sport

The trunk open with foot gesture...and eco pro lol.

Are you in Ventura County looking for driving events? Follow @sunsetrallygroup - The ultimate experience for the auto enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #61
acid-303
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i (G20)

Auto Hold - probably my favorite feature as my daily commute is mostly city streets and traffic lights. It also works great in combination with Auto Start/Stop. I either have both on or both off.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      01-11-2020, 03:22 AM   #62
Taranto300
Banned
Rep
Drives: bimmer

H Brake hold for LA traffic

M Adaptive Suspension for smoother ride in LA Traffic, but yet I can jet into an open slot quick.

Heated Steering Wheel

G Force gauge

Auto door lock when away
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #63
Psavo
Rep
Drives: Bmw g20

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferboy2312 View Post
I am in the US, I have tried the eject passenger command, it does not recognize it....bummer
Must be a country specific thing. My ejector seat works fine in UK.
Appreciate 1
Andy3661121.50
      02-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #64
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Auto hold, had this on my 5 series and old 3 series didn't have it. Due to amount of miles I do I wouldn't have bought the G20 if it did not have auto hold.

360 camera are really useful and also panoramic cameras for blind assist works really well.

Adaptive cruise control with steering assist is the most useful. Cover around 25k a year so use this more then anything.

Anyone had the balls to leave their hands off the steering wheel and ignore the warnings when steering assist is on?

I did in the fast lane of the motorway, interesting to say the least lol!
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #65
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Features you’ve ended up using more than you thought you would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psavo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferboy2312 View Post
I am in the US, I have tried the eject passenger command, it does not recognize it....bummer
Must be a country specific thing. My ejector seat works fine in UK.
I will be trying this in the morning with the missus the first time she comments on my driving lol
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #66
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
Auto hold, had this on my 5 series and old 3 series didn't have it. Due to amount of miles I do I wouldn't have bought the G20 if it did not have auto hold.

360 camera are really useful and also panoramic cameras for blind assist works really well.

Adaptive cruise control with steering assist is the most useful. Cover around 25k a year so use this more then anything.

Anyone had the balls to leave their hands off the steering wheel and ignore the warnings when steering assist is on?

I did in the fast lane of the motorway, interesting to say the least lol!
The driving assist pro / traffic jam assist features and the 360 camera features were must haves for me, just from watching videos -- looking forward to trying them out.

Curious what happened when you ignored the hands on wheel warning? Don't think I've seen a video of anyone doing this yet, they always take wheel when its blinking red.
Appreciate 0